Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

GENSING

1/27/14 @ 8:53 AM
ORIGNAL POST
ToTal13
User since 4/25/08
BEEN READING ABOUT GENSING IN WI. AND WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE. ANY HELP OR HINTS ON THE PLANT WOULD BE NICE.. THANKS

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/4/14 @ 3:47 PM
GUS MAX 2
GUS MAX 2
User since 1/30/12
I believe in every county it could be found in. Vernon county has some of the most prized sang in the world. Don't know why, but have heard it from a few different people.

2/11/14 @ 5:26 PM
garro
User since 9/8/01
Anybody know if it grows in southeast Wisconsin??

2/11/14 @ 2:40 PM
HSB
User since 9/20/11
I picked Ginseng with my grandfather, Dad and uncle since I was about 8 years old. My grandfather started picking during the great depression as a way to supplement the family income (ie. cash money) and taught the rest of us. The most I ever got for my sang was about $400 / pound dry. It takes 4-6 pounds fresh to equal a dry pound. The bigger the root the better but the ones our buyer really wanted were those that are somewhat "human" shaped. Why? I have no idea.

I quit digging the year after the DNR started requiring a "harvestors" licence and then made it illegal to pick on most, if not all, public lands. I still have my bag and digging stick though (sharpened leaf spring bolted to a 1" thick peeled / dried oak branch).

I know that show is absolutely ridiculous but my family still has a 40 acre piece of land with what the producers would call a "honey hole" on it because we always used to save a few berries each day to plant there.

Last time I checked, there was still around 250 plants in a relatively small area.....most of them are huge 4-prongers now. If my uncle caught someone digging them...well...I actually don't know what he would do but it wouldn't be pretty.

2/11/14 @ 7:54 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
And now with a reality show about it, Appalachian Outlaws, if you have it on your land, expect tresspassers.

The show has GOT to be one of the most retarded shows I have seen. Watched about 10 minutes once. No wait, there's too many to mention that are right with it!!

Aaaand people from West Virginia wonder how the stereotypes start!!!!

2/7/14 @ 6:12 PM
DoorTayOutdoors
User since 3/7/07
Heard that we have sang on our land from a neighbor 20 years ago. He said he could show us where. Now recollecting that wonder if he ever cashed in on any of it. Years ago our land wasn't posted so he may have walked across the road and dug some. I've never seen any in thirty years. I may have to keep an eye out now, but am not sure where to look other than north facing hills.

2/1/14 @ 9:09 AM
ToTal13
User since 4/25/08
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP..MAY GIVE IT A TRY

1/31/14 @ 3:55 PM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
An article regarding the rules, an increase in trespassing incidents and the fact that the DNR is really keeping their eye on all things regarding ginseng: http://lacrossetribune.com/news/wis-ginseng-probe-generates--plus-citations/article_9e92af08-65bd-11e3-89be-0019bb2963f4.html

1/31/14 @ 1:32 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/endangeredresources/ginseng.html

link to rules and regs for ginseng in WI.

other than that, have no practical information on harvesting or growing... have seen the farms, I believe, with the covered beds

1/27/14 @ 7:40 PM
Sig Hanson III
Sig Hanson III
User since 1/18/11
It can only be harvested on private land. Huge fines are handed out to people digging the roots on National, State and County owned lands. Also the plants need to be mature to be dug. Seeds need to be replanted for reproducing. Most people do not own enough land to make this a prosperous hobby.

1/27/14 @ 7:08 PM
wisc. rapids pete
User since 6/25/06
Its not illegal to pick Ginseng but there is a season and you need a DNR Permit

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.