MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Drone (Quadcopter with camera) for scouting?

12/12/14 @ 9:41 AM
ORIGNAL POST
nontypical
User since 1/17/03
With prices coming down and technology improving, do these have the potential of becoming the next big thing in the outdoors? I can see the use of them in hunting, flying over an area to locate that big buck lying back there in the swamp, sending my little drone up the creek looking for that new beaver house... or even scouting for that wild blueberry, raspberry or blackberry patch. And I'm sure there are probably many other uses I haven't even thought of in the outdoor world. I saw one for as low as $50 with an attached camera this week, online, probably just a toy though. It sounds like for $1K you can get a half way decent drone. When and if this does potentially take off (pun intended) I'm sure the gov will stick their nose in and take away some of its uses because we'll be having way too much fun with this potentially very useful tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OBz6fMXKKI

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/10/15 @ 9:58 PM
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
I strongly hope that all of the suggestions set forth by the initial poster never comes true or we truly lose the purpose of being out there. Animals dont stand a chance if we are all out there looking for them above with drones. That big buck, that may just come by today, will never be there. He'll be a thing of the past because some punk found him with a camera from above and found a way to pick him off. Prior to the drone he made it to the next season, is on the trail cam every few months, and keeps up out there just hoping our paths meet. Other problems I can foresee is your private land belongs to all. What to keep me flying a drone over your property and pushing a deer to me or away from you? If you want such a canned hunt go to a high fenced area or better yet shop at the grocery store.

1/2/15 @ 6:54 AM
fishs
User since 2/17/04
$100.00 to the first confirmed drone kill.

1/1/15 @ 4:58 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
if i see it flying over me im shooting it down

12/30/14 @ 2:12 PM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14
yes, but the "hunt" part isn't.

CHuckC

12/26/14 @ 10:59 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01
"hunt any animal with the aid of" is the actual quote. "...the aid of..." part should be self explanatory.

12/26/14 @ 6:15 PM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14
Actually, it states it is illegal to "hunt" yadda yadda.

What is. . to hunt ? Is scouting hunting ? Is screwing around in the woods hunting ?

Herding or routing deer towards you (or away from someone else) will certainly be covered. Having any contact with critters likely will be considered harassment and be illegal.

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I am saddened by my fellow man's need to use all of this technology instead of just hunting with his own talent.

Where drones will be pushed is gonna be out west where guide groups will keep track of animals for their clients. Since these will be considered tools of the trade and business, they will be amortized and written off on taxes as well.

ChuckC

12/23/14 @ 11:35 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01
Page 20 of the 2014 WI Deer hunting regs.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0431.pdf

It's already illegal.

12/23/14 @ 9:47 AM
Mad Trapper
User since 2/13/02
How would that stop me?

12/22/14 @ 6:22 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
Aren't these little drones awfully loud? I don't see how you could just fly this over bedding areas without pushing everything out.

12/22/14 @ 12:20 PM
Mad Trapper
User since 2/13/02
Why would the NRA get behind that? Are you nuts? That is why I would shoot all down before they shoot at me.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.