SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Conservation Congress spring hearing

4/10/17 @ 8:01 PM
INITIAL POST
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I just returned home from Walworth county meeting. It appeared that the non hunting crowd out numbered sportsmen 2 to 1. I made out my ballot and split. See when the results are posted but Im afraid this may be this way statewide as they love their birds and hunters and fishermen are just too busy to take a couple hours out there monday night.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
4/22/21 @ 2:44 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

Resolutions that pass are used in different ways.

DNR staff use resolution data to measure public sentiment about specific issues.  So when they are contemplating rule changes, resolutions are a part of the justification for or against a rule change.

State lawmakers keep a close eye on resolutions that passed to measure how their constituents feel about specific issues.

If proposing new legislation, the passed resolutions will provide justification for changes in the law.

Overall, resolutions, both passed and failed are a reflection of society.   So resolutions can be charted over time, if they are voted on more than one year.    One can also measure  support of a resolution, or the idea behind it, to see if it is regional or statewide.  

Rhetoric, especially on social media, is not a measured litmus test of how society feels about a given issue.   Resolutions are a numerical measurement of how both local and statewide citizens feel about a given issue.

This year there were several environmental resolutions that passed,   much to the irritation of the natural resources board.   Resolutions are clear communication from citizens both to the DNR and the NRB.    In that regard, they are a unique exercise of the First Amendment.

4/20/21 @ 8:19 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Hey Trouter, Can you tell us what now happens to the WCC resolutions that were voted "yes" (passed) at the spring hearing? When are these officially presented to the DNR as recommendations in law? and what does the DNR do with then?    

4/19/21 @ 8:19 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

If you take a look at results of county resolutions it is pretty obvious the antis are organized. They had multiple resolutions pass in many different counties trying to take over and eventually change hunting and fishing as we know it. I guess this year most decided it wasnt worth their time to vote with only 12,000 votes.

4/19/21 @ 7:10 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

The results of the 2021 Spring hearings is posted at DNR website.

3/15/19 @ 10:32 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

You don't have to vote on every question, just leave the one's you have no opinion on blank.

3/15/19 @ 9:31 AM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
User since 1/21/12
I plan to attend the spring hearing for the 1st time this year. As I look through the advisory questions I can't help but feel like a few of these questions have no bearing on my area of the state and to go with that, I have little to no knowledge of the some questions being asked as to how it could or could not impact what they are trying to accomplish. I don't want to blindly vote just to vote, so do I leave it blank or can we have discussions here about pro/cons of certain questions? Without getting too political, I am looking for friendly advice and good hearted chatter!
1/16/19 @ 7:40 AM
peggymcgill
User since 1/16/19
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

4/12/17 @ 5:30 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

And that's exactly the kind of thinking that has allowed anti's to get voted into the Conservation Congress. Yes, lawmakers have jumped over the process and that's really annoying.  To say it's a waste of time is your opinion that you are entitled to. No other state has a process like this. It is also true that Act 21 from "the sportsmen's Governor" has watered it a bit in that changes take longer now but the process still works.

Tim

4/12/17 @ 12:29 PM
ole 870
User since 6/27/01

Aside from electing new board members what's the use of going? Every year you fill out the questionaire and things are unanimously approved or rejected by the folks in attendance accross the majority of counties and nothing ever gets done about it. Instead you get one renegade guy in the legislature who initiates or slips something in on a current bill and next thing you know you're stuck with a new law that no one voted for or agreed upon at the spring hearing. And it's a miracle how fast something like that can happen, whereas you vote on what seems like the same question at the hearings for 10 years in a row and nothing ever gets done about it. It's a complete waste of time and a real joke. 

4/11/17 @ 8:34 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I too started going with my Dad 45 years ago and many others my age used to show up in pretty good numbers I know some of you hit on the legislature making changes without going through the process but I just wonder if many of those that used to attend just remember back in the day counting the hands and listening to all the arguments. I honestly havent stayed for at least 15 years. I know what my answers are ahead of the meeting and transfer them onto the ballot wait for the election and then head home and wait to see the results posted on line. Last night I was just thankful that none of the non sportsman were interested in being on the Congress as it appeared they out numbered us and would have been elected. Maybe we are just jaded or have a sense of apathy. I dont know but I know many who participate in the great outdoors and they werent there.

4/11/17 @ 6:48 PM
beachcomber II
User since 12/7/13

missed last night and last year had to work late. im 58 and started going with my dad when i was a teenager and never missed a year. it always kind of shocked me with lite attendance but i dont blame anyone when the state i think makes changes in the laws probably more than the dnr does without facts or understanding of what there even  doing. they seem that they dont listen to any of us at all.but yet they say they want are input. my feeling if they go to online voting sportsmen would get around to stepping up. how many treehuggers show up i think would be minimal to amount of sportsman that would show up especially if you needed dnr number or your name and address or the like.   

4/11/17 @ 6:14 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

Took my 19 yr old son with me last night 1st time. Last year he had to work. He stated at the end of the meeting, that why I thought it was important to make every effort to be there hit home with him. His first meeting and he said where are the rest of all us sportsman??? I said the younger generation is playing XBox or texting on their phones is more important. I think a revelation would be to most if they would experience it. The process is much better than years ago with counting raised hands for each vote or question... I can remember sitting at hearings till after midnight...

4/11/17 @ 5:10 PM
Bugeye1
User since 9/25/14

percheye1,  That was the same feeling I had last night also.  I'm embarrassed to say it was the first hearing I've attended but in the same breath it was eye opening that more sportsmen need to get involved, fast!!! I know i'll be attending a lot more meetings.  I also attended Walworth's hearing.

4/10/17 @ 10:54 PM
crobar
User since 6/19/01

Just got back from the Milw. Co. hearing. Maybe 175 people tops.......2 out of the 3 votes for delegates went to non sportsman...there was one sweetheart on the ballot that I am sure glad did not get voted in. Was hoping for more discussion on the DNR proposals.....next to nothing....alot of talk on enviornmental issues and wolf's. Been going since the mid '70s enjoy listening to all opinions...but didnt get much out of it this year.Guy by the name of Reenpferd got a one year term.

4/10/17 @ 10:41 PM
Brad
User since 6/19/01

I'm in favor of opening up the spring hearings to on-line voting as long as it requires some form of credential to be entered - like a DNR number.  

My job responsibilities have prevented me from attending the meetings for years (tonight was my first) and it has irked me for some time that a small number of people can have such a significant impact on potential game and fish regulations.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE