SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

CHAGA

3/20/15 @ 5:12 PM
INITIAL POST
utahman
User since 3/9/03
I learned about Chaga a couple of years ago. I started to drinking a cups of chaga tea daily. I have harvested some on my own, and some was given to me. Do any of you harvest or consume? Opinions? I know of one man who cured himself from pancreatic cancer or pancreaitis. Scientifically the strongest antioxidant known to man. It is widely used in China and Russia for treating cancer and other ailments.
Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts
1/11/18 @ 9:44 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Bugle could you try the water extraction method and test it, since a lot of us use just that method.  1/2 cup ground, steep in a gallon of water no more than 140 degrees no need to keep it up to that temp, just let it cool down for 24 hours. Thanks!!!

1/5/18 @ 11:43 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I thought that there was another Chaga thread somewhere but nothing came up when I searched.  Maybe some of us discussed it on a mushroom thread.  Anyhow, science geek alert!  If you're not into that sort of thing, this is a warning to move along.  But I thought some of our science-minded LL'ers would like this.

I've been harvesting Chaga from our hunting land near the border of Vilas and Oneida County for the past couple of years.  I made a half gallon-sized tincture last fall by powdering chunks of Chaga and soaking the powder in grain alcohol for 90 days, shaking daily.  I then strained off the alcohol and did a triple hot water extraction of the powder.  I mixed that with the alcohol fraction.  

It just so happens that I manage an analytical lab that specializes in botanical analysis.  I had one of my chemists confirm the identity of my Chaga tincture by performing a High Performance Thin-Layer Chromatography assay comparing it to an image of a Chaga botanical reference material purchased from American Herbal Pharmacopoeia.  Each band in the image represents a compound in the extract/tincture.  Of the three tracks in the image, the track on the left is a certified reference material of Beta-sitosterol, a phytosterol researched for reducing BPH and cholesterol.  The track in the middle is the certified botanical reference material of Chaga and the one on the right is my tincture.  Obviously the image is weaker and less potent than the reference but the various bands in my tincture line up with the reference confirming it's identity.

Better living through Chemistry!

4/1/15 @ 8:09 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03
I also have worked outside for forty years. unfortunately I dont think this would help in that regard.You can buy it online or harvest it yourself. Look up some video on youtube.
3/31/15 @ 9:40 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
I have framed houses out in the elements for almost 30 yrs my bones and joints ache daily, is this something that might help? where do you get this stuff at? purchase/harvest.
3/29/15 @ 7:09 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
My sister and Brother in Law are big fans. They both recently lost 20 pounds, feel great, and have nothing but good things to say. They harvest it themselves in Rhinelander.
3/20/15 @ 6:02 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01
My Ojibwe friends use it all the time. No, I do not know how they use it. Trouter
Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE