SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Boat Launches for Beginners

6/9/20 @ 2:57 PM
INITIAL POST
bamarz
User since 6/9/20
Are there any boat launches in Southeast Wisconsin that fellow boaters would recommend for new boat owners to use to get comfortable with putting a boat into the water? 

Any recommendations or less busy launches or docks available so that I don't hold up or piss off other boaters? I'm just trying to be respectful prior to heading out.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts
9/19/20 @ 9:39 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

The first lesson I got backing trailers was with semis for UPS. My teacher said to pull towards the loading dock at an angle, then pull straight away from the target to line it up before backing up. Hopefully, little correction is needed to back straight to the target. Lots of good advice from previous posts here but opening up the back of the truck and looking backwards works best for my rig. The pic shows what my parking mentor was talking about.

8/20/20 @ 1:06 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Also, remember when you load back onto the trailer, pull out of the way of the launch before you stop to secure the straps, pull the plug, stow your gear.

There might not be anyone waiting to launch at the moment, but sure as heck they will show up if you stop on the launch to do it.

6/23/20 @ 12:50 PM
duxup
User since 8/5/05

I use mirrors, just easier for me. I start with finding the "sweet spot" which i define as going STRAIGHT back and position my left hand for max control ( 12-1:00). Start backing from there making subtle adjustments. 

The longer the distance from ball to trailer wheels the easier it is. Adjustments are also less severe, meaning a short trailer is going to react MUCH quicker to steering adjustments. Find an empty parking lot and practice backing the boat into parking spots.

6/23/20 @ 9:05 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

My vehicle, and most vehicles for that matter, have a backup camera.  That's super confusing backup up with that!  I have a Jeep Cherokee and I usually just lift the tailgate and look out the back.  I can back it up into some pretty tight spaces (my boat that is, my ATV trailer is a completely different story!).  It's interesting how different trailers turn when you turn the wheel.  My boat trailer turns right away when I turn the wheel.  The ATV trailer has a couple second lull to it, so it's real easy to over steer!

6/21/20 @ 6:44 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

I barely use my mirrors. I only use them as a check for clearance on each side. I’m much more comfortable turning around and watching through a rear window. Growing up on a farm backing things up with older tractors that did not have mirrors developed a type of sixth sense with this type of thing. After being pressured to get hay wagons backed into a barn in the dark with limited lighting because storms are approaching makes getting a boat trailer backed up a breeze, 

6/17/20 @ 4:32 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

I was taught to use mirrors by an old truck driver.  He had me put my hand on the top or the steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position.  You would then look in the mirrors and think of your hand as a bucket of water land the rear most corner in the mirror as being on fire.  You put out the fire by dumping the water on it and it went out by moving out of the mirror.  Sounds more complicate than it is.  

6/17/20 @ 11:39 AM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

When ever possible keep the dock in the drivers side mirror. Just slowly back in along side of it. A lot easier than blind side it.

6/17/20 @ 10:46 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Been said before and I'll say it again.

Practice, practice, practice.

And...never launch "in a rush".  Take your time.  Bad things happen when you try to go quickly.  Crimped trailers, busted lights....etc.

Slow and steady wins the race.

My wife learned quickly about how to back up a trailer.  Not rocket science, but slow and steady is a key.

6/13/20 @ 8:16 AM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Mirrors... you MUST use them.. while backing a trailer... your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel moving your hand to the left moves the trailer to the left and conversely as well to the right.. a little practice goes a long way..

6/12/20 @ 3:29 PM
TH98
TH98
User since 7/15/14

Side mirrors is the easiest way to back a trailer once you are lined up.  Once all lined up and straight (do this carefully as you pull around to the ramp) you just put your hand at the 12 oclock position on the steering wheel and start to back very slowly while checking your side mirrors.  If you see the boat (or Trailer if loading) start to creep into one of the side mirrors turn your hand on the wheel towards that mirror (it does not take much if going slow).  I grew up in the county on a gravel road and my dad's truck had a topper, it was impossible to see out the back most days because of the caked on dust so this is how I was taught to do it (at the age of 13!) .  You will get the hang of it in no time.

6/12/20 @ 11:01 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I can tell you will be fine because you thought enough to ask this question in the first place.  That puts you ahead of the game.

Learn to use your side mirrors.  Once you figure that out you'll be able to put the boat wherever you want it to be.  Even at home if you want to snug it to the side of the garage or what not.

Like others said, prep the boat on the side.  Really its all about using your head and being considerate.  If someone did all the right things and is struggling to back down the ramp, I don't care because they are doing their best and they did things right.  If someone pulls into the ramp lane and then preps their boat, that I'll be irritated about because they are not being considerate.  

Launching is one thing, loading is another skill.  Not a huge fan of power loading since it wrecks launches.  I will slowly idle into my trailer to the point it bumps the trailer and sits there on its own.  Then I get out and strap the boat and pull it up.  I can do this without getting on the dock or messing with a launch rope and its quick.  You'll find your own method though and each boat/trailer setup might work a little better one way vs another.

6/12/20 @ 9:46 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

All great information being offered.  Mosperus mentioned below make a mental check list when hooking up and unhooking boat and trailer.  I do exactly that.  

Many times when we go boating or fishing we have friends along who want to help in the attachment of trailer or launching or loading process.  This is great and always appreciated but always remember this is your truck, boat and trailer, and your responsibility if any mistake happens weather at the launch or going down the road.

Even if your friends have boats and even more time launching or loading than you, still use and do your checklist.  When they say you are set, slowly go over your boat and trailer (yourself) with that mental check list to verify ever thing is good to go. I have had several times that I have made critical adjustments to boat or trailer that well meaning friends had hooked up.   Make the check list and the order you do it the same ever time.

You do this routine every time and you will reduce the incidence of boat, truck, trailer issues to almost nil.

Have a great day boating and fishing!

6/12/20 @ 8:52 AM
Musky Ben
User since 3/13/02

bamarz:

All solid advice from the first post to the last one!!!  I have offered to help anyone in a large parking lot with the lines.  If ya have access to cones, so much the better, but not completely necessary.

First pull in and get ready to launch.  Then when you are pulling the boat into position, try to line it up with where you want to back it into.  Then proceed to back slowly (as was mentioned before).   Critical point here:  If you get out of alignment with where you want to go, STOP!!!  Pull forward just a bit to get straightened back out again, then proceed backward.  This one step will keep you in line with the ramp and dock and get you in to the water faster.  It doesn't matter how many times you have to pull forward, it will only take a few feet.  You don't get so outta wack that you are over correcting to get back in line.  

Remember STOP and pull forward just a bit to  get back on line and all will be good!!! Now get to that K-Mart parking lot and practice a bit and Good Luck.

Musky Ben

6/11/20 @ 10:33 PM
Chippman
User since 5/5/06

As others have said have all gear loaded into boat in staging area not at the launch area double down on check list transom straps, boat plug, transom saver, locators installed if not permanent, kill switch hooked up, etc.

Also not mentioned do not unhook boat winch and safety strap until boat is ready to roll off into water if you have two people have one in the boat and then unhook and back in and one drive the boat while other parks the truck. makes thing go fast. 

Good luck don't try to hurry slow and steady is the way to go. Chippman

6/11/20 @ 9:12 PM
czar1
czar1
User since 7/2/09

If u live in Racine go the the launch on the big pond during the week and practice not much activity. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE