Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
goose
USER SINCE 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 2,686 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

4/21/21 @ 4:53 PM
Frozenman
USER SINCE 12/16/07

Gotta knock the rust off! Winter is long, the mind becomes weak. ??

4/21/21 @ 4:42 PM
fishicot
USER SINCE 4/16/18

I'll be the first to post this year.  We launched our boat for the first time this year.  I finally got my wife comfortable backing the boat in once it is at the waters edge so I can motor off.  Well I got the motor in reverse and I am gunning it but no movement so I yell to wife a little further but this no movement.  Then I remembered I forgot to take the straps off.

Better I do it now then on a busy ramp on opening day.

11/29/20 @ 12:33 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
USER SINCE 8/10/18

Thanks for cheering me up a bit, guys! I still consider in an idiot move but it's one I learned from. And even though my wife was pissed I almost sunk our new boat, it very quickly became one of my top videos. Turns out my top 3 are when I crashed into a bridge, when I forgot the drain plug, and when I fished in a thunderstorm. I thought people watched fishing videos for the fishing? I guess they watch for the unintended comedy.

11/15/20 @ 9:02 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER SINCE 8/12/02

I just put mine on a thin chain , then transom supports . Always there .

11/15/20 @ 1:20 PM
Ldob50
USER SINCE 8/16/16

I always pull plug at launch when loading and put plug in in my driveway when putting on transom saver. The one time I forgot plug I was able to get boat up on plane and water drained out as I was cruisin.

Peace and Good Fishing,

lar      

11/15/20 @ 12:36 PM
haf2fsh
MEMBER SINCE 6/23/01

The plug is the first thing that gets put in when I prep my boat for a fishing outing. Every time !! Knock on wood that plan has worked for 18 years owning my Canadian.............Boat is completely drained after every trip.

11/15/20 @ 8:31 AM
uplander
uplander
USER SINCE 10/6/09

I agree I pull my plugs all the time. I did write with a paint marker on my transome saver check plug although I never really forget to. It should be on your checklist anyway.

11/14/20 @ 9:54 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
USER SINCE 12/26/10

So far in WI,drain plug out(dry bilge)is a suggestion.Not the case in MN,they will throw the book at you,a hefty fine.Few years ago,I got the what for in Winona for plug in.So now I have clips on the transom straps to hang the plugs.So if I now leave the plug out when launching,I WOULD be an idiot.MN will also leave a note on vehicle if you have visible weeds on trailer when parked.The same has happened in WI. 

11/14/20 @ 7:56 PM
banjo dan
USER SINCE 1/5/04

I'm too lazy right now to look through the reg's, but we should all be able to agree that having a drained, dry bilge is usually a good thing between lakes. Thinking, "I know they're aren't zebra mussels or VHS or Eurasian millfoil between these two lakes" is why so many lakes have those.  

I never tow my boat with any plugs in, because sometimes I encounter rain on the road, and I don't own a cover that's suitable for high speeds. So I don't want the added weight on the axle. 

I also don't have indoor boat storage, so pulling the plugs makes sense for my situation.

My soapbox stance is that if we love our lakes, and I think we all do, we should be pulling our plugs after leaving every boat launch, whether it's required by law or not. 

I don't need a law to tell me what's good for lakes. 

11/14/20 @ 9:09 AM
Buckman
MEMBER SINCE 6/17/01

Thanks for educating me. I’ve been a boat owner 30+ years and knock on wood have never left it out. Now I know it will happen sooner or later. Kinda like saying I’ve never run out of gas, then I did the following week!

I did however back my boss in with his first used boat. I park the truck 1/4 mile away and see him yelling as I walk back. He got the plug in and then we just got it up on plane and pulled the plug to get the water mostly out. 

Makes for a good story as long as everyone involved makes it back to the dock safely!

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 2,686 POSTS
Advertise here
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.