Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
goose
User since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 2,694 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/7/20 @ 2:00 PM
StorminNormin1957
User since 2/6/17

Pool8, I may have seen maybe a close family member do a similar thing on Upper Gresham in Vilas county this summer. I'm in my boat, waiting for my turn to come off the lake.  Making a couple of assumptions, the  middle aged son is backing a pretty nice aluminum boat and about a 40 HP motor down the ramp.  Older dad says stop, and does something on the front of the trailer.  Hmm. Son starts backing up fine, but taps on the break to slow down.  

Sure enough, dad had removed the "clicker" catch mechanism for some reason, left the strap attached, and off came the boat, resting at a 45 degree angle on the back of the trailer, about 10 feet short of the water.  Nothing else for them to do (thankfully for me they had 4 people in the truck), after looking at it for a few minutes, son pulls ahead, lets the boat slam down on the pavement, then they drag it into the water.  

As I pulled up to the dock, I wasn't going to say a word, when dad says "bet you've never seen that before?" My reply "no I guess I haven't".  Nothing else need be said. I assume it was son and dad because nobody yelled at anybody.

9/7/20 @ 12:25 PM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
User since 1/21/12

Just a normal day at a landing on the Lower Wisconsin River.

9/4/20 @ 5:22 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

Looks like the guy saved himself from paying a fine from a red light camera... 

9/3/20 @ 8:07 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Resulted from improper road worthy adjustments at the boat launch.

9/1/20 @ 11:02 PM
Firstmate1060
Firstmate1060
User since 5/10/20

Years ago, as I sat on a high l grassy bank above a unnamed River in S.C, I had just lost a battle with the largest stripped Bass I've ever seen. This Fish surfaced following a battle for its life. I hooked him using heavy gear since river cats was my target. He was  tired but not yet defeated, He gave me a Salute with a powerful Slap of his tail on the surface of the river, and was soon gone.

Not 10 minutes later, a gleaming new red Pick up Truck, A GMC, I believe, pulled up with an equally beautiful Ranger Bass Boat & Trailer. I thought to myself how nice it must be to not be poor. I thought of Bill Dance. But it wasn't Bill. To my right, about 20 yards away, was a Cement Boat Ramp, built at about a 20 degree angle.

The Boat Ramp was  located on a Naval Base for the servicemen to use. The river, subjected to tides & consisting of brackish water, was subject to high and low tides. Siting on that grassy bank, wishing I had a picture of that massive bass, I watched the driver slowly back his showroom rig down that steep Ramp until the rear tires of that PU was sitting on a thick layer of moss. The moss covered cement was slick, and visible, due to low tide.  As you may have guessed the Truck managed to lose its rear end traction. As the trailer, Boat, & truck slipped into the river, the Owner Panicked, and all I could do was watch the truck as it slipped beneath the surface of the river and disappear. I't  was Shock and Awe, twice in 1 day. The owner went running down the road. A bit Later, base Police, a tow truck and Navy divers reappeared. As the Tow truck hooked up to the truck, all one could see is the Trucks electrical all shorted out beneath the surface of what was mostly a salt water River. A Diver stood on the Top of that Truck, and water was still up to his chin ! The tow hook, pulled the truck out of the river, with all lights  shorted and on with the horn blaring, the Cab having been completely filled by water. I calculated that somewhere between 50 and 70K worth of Equipment went into the river that day. Even when I think of the worst Day I ever suffered in Iraq, it had to be better than his. This Boat Launch idiot has yet to be  matched.   Firstmate1060 USN (ret.)

9/1/20 @ 8:26 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Pool, sounds like you had a front row seat for that one   

9/1/20 @ 6:48 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

That would have been a great story Pool. Thanks for sharing.  Too bad it didn't happen!

8/31/20 @ 8:37 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Anybody see a guy go to launch his boat this weekend in the Lacrosse area with the crank strap still attached but free wheeling? Then pull away ?  No? Ok then it never happened. 

8/26/20 @ 4:13 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Follow up to the launch ramming incident. No mention of intoxication. 

Follow up - Bizarre 

8/25/20 @ 2:04 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Maybe he’s a Tom Cruise Stuntman? 

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 2,694 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.