Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
ORIGNAL POST
goose
User since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,684 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/2/20 @ 3:38 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Sswpriz, LOL! I don't drink, so I guess the answer would be "not enough." Only had a half cup of coffee that morning, which might have factored in. It's not uncommon for me to drink an entire pot in a day.

8/2/20 @ 3:26 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

262, I agree with milemark, that's not a BLI, that's just a miscalculation,  lol.

How many beers before that...???

8/2/20 @ 12:51 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

262,that's not a BLI.Just an oops,we all do it.I shortened a stern light on the railroad bridge by Perrot park.

8/2/20 @ 11:55 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Well, I think I won BLI of the year!  How many of you can say your BLI moment was featured on Boneheaded Boaters of the Week?  Now, I can!

Full disclosure, I submitted the video myself for him to use.  Any press is good press, right?  For those not familiar, Broncos Guru puts out a weekly video with this stuff.  They are always good for a laugh.

Snakester, glad you got a laugh out of my video.

8/1/20 @ 6:14 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Went to one of my favorite Lakes today, when done fishing, came back to the launch, and here is a boat perpendicular to  the boat launch. A little girl in the boat waiting for her father, who took about 10 minutes to park his car. He finally leaves, I pull my boat up to the pier and I'm walking up the ramp to get my car, and another guy pulls in, he starts backing his rig down. There is only room for one boat at a time at this launch. He gets to the water, then he starts unloading his truck into his Boat. I have to wait about 15 minutes for him to get unloaded, launch his boat, Park his car , so I can back my trailer down the launch to load my boat. I end up with two BLIs in a row. 

7/31/20 @ 7:23 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

My favorite video of yours so far 262! I like the fact you included the snags and the bridge incident. Lol I like it because we all do the same things at times, which makes it more entertaining. I bet if you had another person you may have cleared the bridge. You stayed very calm after scratching ur nice new boat.
My vote for name would be “Low Bridge”.
Fun video 262!,, Great job! 

7/30/20 @ 6:05 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Shared this story a few weeks ago on a different forum, but figured it was appropriate here, too.

Recently took out my BRAND NEW boat to try to get my first fish on it. Decided on Lower Nemahbin.  For those not familiar, there is a small channel between upper and lower and the launch is in the channel. To get to lower, you have to go under the I-94 bridge.

Launched with no problem.  Cleared the first section no problem but noticed the second section was getting lower and lower clearance over the water, until... BANG!!!!! My windshield smacked the bottom of the bridge. I had enough momentum (despite no wake) that I made it out, then BANG!!!!! again!  Hit the last portion and got stuck.

Because I think it's a unique thing to go under a freeway, I was filming as it happened because that's what anybody with a YouTube channel does.  So... For all of your enjoyment... Here is the video proof of my BLI-ness.  

First 30 seconds or so is the crash, the damage is visible shortly after the drone footage near the beginning.

7/25/20 @ 6:38 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

It’s a combination of both and all the above   

7/25/20 @ 8:56 AM
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01

Are they "boat launch idiots" or just don't care or not know the drill !!  Was fishing near a state park landing Wednesday, couldn't help but watch the happenings at the landing, as fishing was slow.  A guy launches a monster boat, just takes off from the launch for a run around the lake leaving his van and trailer parked in the launch blocking one side.  Stayed that way for a good 15 minutes, when he did pull it out only drove forward far enough to tie things down still blocking launch !!  It gets better, another play boat pulls out out of the launch, make a short run comes back in ties up to other side of the dock.  Looked like gals went to change into swim suits, probably go potty, too. So other launch is tied up !! WTF !! These people don't have a clue or think since they paid a launch fee they own the dock.  As I came in, another boat was ahead of me,  as he cleared the launch, just pulled head far enough to do his get away prep.  So I had to do some tricky backing to get my trailer in the water, I didn't say anything to him as I left but gave them a dirty look.  Like I said before some people don't have a clue.............

7/24/20 @ 9:17 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

For those of you that say you can launch a boat in your sleep... Apparently I can't! 

Had a dream last night that I was trying to launch and kept jack knifing the trailer. 

Worst night of sleep I've had in a while! 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,684 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.