Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
ORIGNAL POST
goose
User since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,602 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/4/19 @ 10:18 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Saw a lot of stupid at a few launches on Green Bay last weekend.

Potawatomi Launch in Sturgeon Bay.  Pull up there to drop in, there's a Blue Lund with two guys in the launch lane.  They failed to prep their boat and were now prepping in a launch lane.  Taking off their cover, attaching downriggers...took them about 10 minutes to get ready to launch, blocked the lane the entire time.

We got around them and launched amongst the chaos.  Some of it was caused by a person who launched two jet ski's.  Pulled forward after launching just far enough to keep anyone else from using that lane to load or unload.  Parked the car there and chatted with people at the fish cleaning station.

So now 2 of the 4 launch lanes are completely blocked.

We got out of there pretty quickly, and were on the water.  Blue Lund was still prepping as we were leaving.

Came into the launch.  There's a Jet Ski tied up to the end of one of the piers, meaning no one could slide up there to drop anyone off, or tie off their boat.  No one was around the jet ski.  What made it worse was the way it was tied.  It was at the end of the dock and when the wind shifted about a third of it would cover the end of the dock.  Was tempted to unhook it and give it a shove.  But I did not.

My wife got the truck into the launch lane and was backing up when a car with two kayaks cut behind her between her and the launch.  Annoying, but it didn't last long.  She got it in the launch perfectly, boat slide on and we were moving out the launch when another car zipped in front of her.  Slammed on the brakes, I heard her say a little something something inside the truck...I grinned a little and she got out of there quickly.

No real idiots, just a lot of stupid.  Hopefully most of that is done now.

9/2/19 @ 5:25 PM
Boogie
Boogie
MEMBER since 1/25/02

I had a double today at Port.  When I was coming to retrieve my boat, another boat that was launching was backed up crooked across two lanes and in the process of placing thing into their boat and preventing me from being able to back down the ramp to load my boat.  After I managed to squeeze past this couple, just as I am pulling out of the water a guy comes with his empty trailer and stops in front of me making me have to stop in mid pull out and wait while he gave a tackle box to the guy in the boat in the water and then went back to his truck and got something else while I am left idling with a boat half out of the water.

8/25/19 @ 4:11 PM
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01

As I came in from fishing Friday morning at about 11 a.m. , two pontoons were just attempting to launch from the single pier at private marina. Could see this wasn't going to go well, turns out it was a family group so one was waiting for the other. First toon tied up to only dock space to wait for second one. So all I could do is back off and watch the show.  The second toon was a monster with 300 horse Merc, guys had no clue how to unload it, he was afraid he was going to sink his Ford. When they finally got it off trailer, Grma had back rope and nearly  went into the drink, Grpa saved her butt.  After about 20 minutes   both  got going.  They waved to me, I just shook my head. 

8/20/19 @ 5:00 PM
Boogie
Boogie
MEMBER since 1/25/02

I have to classify my launch/preparation to fish on Lake Michigan the other day as a boat launch idiot.  It seems that when prepping my boat to leave the house, I neglected to mount the down riggers but did not realize until I was doing the final prep in a proper place before launching.  Although we had some success, I am still quite upset with myself because I chose not to put them in the back of my vehicle the night before when I thought of them.  In the future, they are going in the back of my vehicle the night before.

8/13/19 @ 10:07 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Not a launch, but similar to arcus...

Was at a local restaurant.  A guy had his boat / trailer parked in a couple stalls.  No problem.  But with multiple other spots open, a gal I know parks right in front of the truck.  I notice the owner of the boat is sitting with his family.  He is just shaking his head and his wife asks what is wrong.  I walked over and asked if he wanted my help.  I told him I know the person who blocked him in.  He said sure.  I then went and asked the gal if she realized what she did.  She looked at the situation and quickly went out and moved her vehicle.  Guy thanked me, but less than a minute later, another person blocked him in.  We both just shrugged and threw up our arms.

8/7/19 @ 5:27 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Toby Keith could easily do a remake called...

I Love This Thread

8/7/19 @ 7:23 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I like to think of a few of these BLI's more as boat launch failures.   A few years ago on lake Waubesa I had left the boat at home and went for a bicycle ride.   I enjoy riding past the boat launch where I  stop and watch people launch or load their boats, cheap entertainment .   Also, it lets me talk to the fisherman to see what's biting.  

While stopping at the launch to talk to fisherman, two older gents show up with their full size truck with topper and a 12 foot boat on a trailer.  I truly expected to see a skilled boat launch sequence but this did not happen.  

They pulled up and swung a 1/2 circle in front of a ramp, both gents remained in truck.  The back of trailer was 20 feet from edge of the water.  They attempted to back up to sink the trailer.  I assume it was the lack of ability to see their boat and trailer in their mirrors that the trailer immediately jack knifed.  This didn't seem to bother the driver and he pulled forward to straighten trailer and try again.

Well...This went on and on and on for the next 10 minutes.  They could not back up 20 feet and hit the water.  After 10 minutes, the passenger decides he should get out and guide the launch.  By now...most everyone who was launching a boat or just fishing off the piers had stopped to watch what they were doing.  

After maybe another 8 to 10 more minutes of back and forth the wheels of the boat trailer just barely touched the water.  The second person who was now standing in the water unhooked the winch strap and pulled the 12 foot boat into the water.  A small applause came from the now 15 to 20 people who had all quietly and patiently waited and watched these gentlemen. 

They then pulled their truck up to the parking lot, loaded their fishing equipment in the boat, fired up the motor and motored off to fish.

I know folks will say someone should have helped.  Saying that,  both these men while elderly did appear very physically able.  Sometimes it's best not to interfere with these folks independence,  it disappears soon enough.  They didn't hurt anything and everyone there was very patient and quiet.   No harm done, but it was amusing to watch.  

8/5/19 @ 10:41 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Arcus, $10 says that was her 1st ever at a boat launch. Her friends probably told her “oh you should come out on our pontoon boat sometime “ lol. Maybe not a boat launch idiot just clueless. Lol

8/5/19 @ 6:03 PM
arcus venator
User since 1/6/03

My wife and I were fishing on Pickerel Lake in Forest county Saturday morning.  Fish weren't biting too well so we decided to head in.  As we were going toward the boat landing we could see a woman and a kid standing on the dock and a pontoon boat heading toward them.  As we pulled up to the dock they were getting on the pontoon.

We tied up and I got out to go get my truck and trailer just as they were pulling away.  I stepped off the dock and see a small SUV parked directly behind my trailer maybe 2 feet away.  I had no way to pull forward.  

We yelled to the pontoon boat and asked if that was their vehicle because they were blocking my trailer.  The woman calls back and says "Yes, I'm sorry."  Then we had to wait until they pulled back into the dock so she could come and move it.  The killer is I had the only vehicle and trailer in the parking area.  She could have parked anywhere else but decided to park right behind my trailer.

7/6/19 @ 6:45 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Was shocked today launching at Dahlman's on Koshkonong.  Launched at 3:30is, off at 5:30ish...had to park outside of the park, all parking spots filled, all grass areas filled.

10minutes to launch, 10 minutes to recover.

Took longer to walk to my car to recover cause it was parked so far away.

No idiots to report.  TONS of boats out, and choppy as heck...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,602 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.