SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
INITIAL POST
goose
User since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,751 posts
10/4/23 @ 8:23 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02
Saw one today, I wish I would have recorded it !!! older couple at the dock, she's taking videos or pictures sitting on the dock like a child would, I could hear one of them yelling at the other. she is a little on the heavier side a.nd seems to have a little difficulty moving around.she finally scoots her butt over to sit on the edge of the pier and puts her legs in the boat to try to get in the boat. as she's doing this I can see the boat start to pull away from the dock and her legs are the only thing in the boat...see where this is going, don't you ??? 
Sure as sure, the boat is dragging her off the dock, but she isn't in the boat, lol.
all of a sudden she goes backwards, kerplunk. he tries to grab her, but I think she weighed more than him, so in he goes too !!!!
the GF and I are laughing our butts off, not at their misfortune, but just the way it all went down. I don't like to make fun of anybody especially misfortune, but I couldn't help it.
we decided to take a little ride figuring they will be out of there so we can load the boat when we get back.
they are accross from the launch stuck in 6 inches of water, he's using the paddle to try to get out, which eventually he does, she's still sitting in the boat, using a camera, lol.
He gets unstuck, starts and revs his engine which is still tilted up !!!, he doesn't have T&T, he has to manually put it down.
it was a comedy of errors that gave us a pretty good laugh for the day.

6/24/23 @ 7:09 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06
A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO I WAS TAKING MY BOAT OUT ON THE CHAIN.  FIRST TIME OUT WITH MY SON FOR THE YEAR AND WATCHED THE SAME THING.  GUY BACKS DOWN THE BOAT AND SLAMS THE BRAKES AND BOAT GOES A FOOT AND STOPS.  I WATCHED A FEW TIMES AND GOT OUT OF MY TRUCK AND TOLD THE LADIES WITH HIM HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TRANSOM STRAPS OFF.  THEY STARTED LAUGHING AND YELLED AT HIM WHAT WAS WRONG.  HE STARTED TOO LAUGH HIMSELF.  AFTER HE TOOK THE STRAPS OFF, BOAT WENT INTO THE WATER.  I WAITED ANOTHER TEN MINUTES FOR THE CLOWN SHOW TO END AS THEY LOADED UP THE BOAT WITH GEAR.  SINGLE RAMP LAUNCH, I FIGURED HE WOULD MOVE IT OFF TO THE SIDE OR ONE OF THE OTHER 5 PEOPLE WITH HIM WOULD.  NOPE.  I SHOULD HAVE TOOK A VIDEO ON THE PHONE AS THE LAST TIME BEFORE I TOLD HIM HE ALMOST SUBMERGED HIS TRUCK TRYING TO GET HIS BOAT OFF!!!
6/23/23 @ 8:43 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18
Earlier this year, on a small Oneida County lake, I was heading in after fishing. A pontoon was backed part way down the ramp, with the tow vehicle turned off and blocking access. Two guys were in the process of assembling some sort of cover. I don’t mean snapping a couple poles together. They were there with power tools, ratchets, and tool boxes strewn all over. 

I politely said that the landing is not the place to engage in such a project, especially when they are backed into the ramp. They looked at me like I had two heads. Without them saying it, I could tell they couldn’t believe I would question them on “their” lake. They did eventually move their construction sight out of the way.

I try to be as patient and helpful as possible with people that only back the trailer once or twice a year. But this one left me scratching my head. 
6/19/23 @ 11:36 AM
goju
User since 12/30/10
Guy backs the trailer in perfectly.  Unhooks front clip and trys to  pushes boat off.  Boat goes about a foot, stops, then returns to original position.  This repeats several times.  Guy pulls trailer and boat out of water, walks to transom and notices a transom saver still connected.  In his defense, he was borrowing the boat - or so he claimed.  
6/16/23 @ 12:04 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08
I have noticed the issue of boat launch idiots. The topic of this thread. Although it covers many aspects there is one I haven't seen much comments on. Given the fact I haven't went too far back...I noticed recently a complete idiot and decided I "had" to comment upon that idiot...
So, here goes. On a launch at a lake we have not fished for a long time, we noticed a huge hole at the bottom of the ramp. You know...the type of "hole" where they post signs saying..."no power loading allowed". The boat that came up on us...as we were approaching to recover had already dropped his partner off. The trailer was already backed in. He puts the bow of the boat at the trailer and oh my gosh...he produces this gigantic rooster tail as he put the bow on the trailer. No power loading??????????????
5/4/23 @ 1:04 PM
blmck
PRO MEMBER User since 8/2/02
I resemble that remark already this year.  Two boat wide U shaped dock, heavy winds, pushed off one dock with my foot, tripped over my other foot and kerplunk!  Man overboard in 8 FOW. Only three witnesses, so not too bad.  Phone survived too.  The witnesses and I all had a great laugh at my expense.
5/3/23 @ 5:50 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
I call it practice.
4/29/23 @ 10:28 AM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
Yes being witnessed would have been much funnier for someone !! Getting yelled at and call a dumb "A" while blocking the  launch would have been even better. I'll do a better job next time !!  Hope this is my worst launch screw up of the year, but doubt it. 
4/29/23 @ 9:10 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
On LL it's only a BLI moment if there are witnesses. Forgetting straps....been there, seen that. Slipping on the algae covered cement getting completely soaked with 20 people standing around counts.
4/28/23 @ 4:00 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
Found my first boat launch idiot of the year guess who it was me !! Backed boat in with straps still on, took me three tries with boat not coming off trailer for me to figure it out............. Da !! At  least no one there to laugh at me.......... Probably won't be the last time I do it this year. Did remember the plug...............
4/22/23 @ 8:00 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08
hotbait, HaHaHa...WOW! I sure was gob-smacked when I saw there was a post in this thread!!! I am wishing for "open water" up here. So, I was surprised to see this come up already. 
Thanks for the laugh you gave me!!!

But, you are right...Make is a safe and happy experience!!!
4/21/23 @ 11:36 AM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
Looking forward to this site this summer. Please remind yourself to make it a happy event.

Looking to dig into more data?

Step up and unlock historical postings by upgrading to Lake-Link Pro for as little as $2.99!

More Info

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE