SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

blue berries

7/9/14 @ 6:38 AM
INITIAL POST
psycho
User since 1/21/02
who picks? seem late this year but lots of flowers.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts
7/27/22 @ 7:10 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Bought 10 pounds of fresh organic blueberries for 32.50

now I dont have to pick any  

7/27/22 @ 5:35 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

probably my last pick today 11 ounces 2 1/2 hours but I did finally pick a bunch of bilberry which upped my pick rate. I like to let the bilberry go as long as possible because they get a little sweeter the longer on the bush. Blueberry pretty much at the end but no end in sight for the bilberry

7/20/22 @ 9:52 AM
Drawsbaby
User since 5/7/03

Still green, but twice as many as last year

blue berries photo by Drawsbaby
7/19/22 @ 5:03 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

7/14  got seven ounces 2 hours.  Same today, seven ounces two hours.  2 pounds 11 ounces for 8 hours picking total so far. First picking was obviously the best, seems like the ones you leave on dont really ripen up. I wait a week between pickings

7/13/22 @ 5:58 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

One pound thirteen ounces today 4 hours picking Sawyer county. Big patch of  Bilberries on my route picked some, but too many to to waste time on. Coming on strong .Today I got as much as much as I got from several pickings last year and a lot more to come. Didnt have to go up to Barnes again. I see the other thread on this topic got deleted thank you, guess we dont need two threads. eliminates important info from past years. I cant even look up my own reports for specific times of year. Not that it matters . I got it down now, weekend after the fourth they start, nothing to know other than that, kind of like the white bass run on the wolf

7/17/21 @ 1:43 PM
Onlyhaveacanoe
User since 6/1/16

Was thinking of trying to find some this year but not sure where to look. Oneida/vilas county area. Any info is appreciated. Thank you 

7/13/21 @ 8:54 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

I was up there sunday off lost lake road in the germann fire area. Blue berries were done but the  amount of bilberries is crazy. they are every where and just starting. I dont really care for them, they say they have more flavor but  I dont think so, but if you like them it is limitless. I got 1 1/3 cups mostly blues. Checked out my two primary spots and the first one was picked over and no new ones coming. Lots of mature plants with nothing on them. So far for this season 10 cups, not as great a year as I thought it would be

7/11/21 @ 2:16 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

The wild blueberries here in my part of northwest Douglas county are just now turning blue but not all yet .

7/10/21 @ 7:00 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Blueberries do like acid soil.  A friend of mine actually mixes sulfuric acid into his irrigation water for his blueberries.  Tap or well water has too high of a pH.  

7/5/21 @ 7:56 PM
newoodhntr
newoodhntr
PRO MEMBER User since 12/11/01

Utahmann a blueberry farm near my home takes pine needles and puts them around his plants they  must like the acidity. 

7/5/21 @ 6:23 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

NOT so great thus far but its early. Went to Barnes today got 4 cups in 4 1/2 hours lots still blooming. My usual spots didnt have any blooms, but I went to a well known spot down the road, and no one had hit it. Strange, but it seemed to be the best spots that produced were in the shade to the northwest, as I was out there at 6 this morning and the spots that were the best were all in that morning shade. Seemed like they used to do best by a pine tree but maybe it was just the shade. These spots were all in the shade of scrub oaks. Total so far for 4 times out is 8 cups which is about 8 hours not so good according to my previous reports, but like I said its still early. Last year I totally missed it by not checking, this year I am jumping in on it early so it has paid off so far, got enough for two big pies, and still going.

7/2/21 @ 5:05 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Picked a pint today in two hours. More of a scouting trip, but now I know the spots and they will be very good, because they are just starting. Only a mile from home so I dont know if I will make my trip up to Barnes, which is 43 miles. Sawyer county

6/22/21 @ 6:50 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

My spots in the northwoods the berries were green last week, so looks to be on time for early july but numbers look moderate.  The blueberry farms in central wisconsin are 2 weeks ahead of schedule

6/22/21 @ 5:48 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Looking to be a great year. Ive found some already turning blue, not sweet though Patches that Ive never seen before were blossomed out to the max 3-4 weeks ago. Spots that I know of that never produced are even getting a bunch. Hopefully I wont have to drive 40 miles to my spot in Barnes. Any reports?

8/3/19 @ 8:24 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

..short story, my mother from crandon, so we're up visiting ( her parents had a few apple orchards ...their income, not rich people ) and grandma takes me out to pick blueberries ... I'm maybe 6-7yo... we're picking and hear some huffing on the other side of the bushes... grandma takes a look, it a black bear.. she calmly takes my hand and say, let's go home, we have enough.. I never saw the bear, but have zero reason to not believe what she told my mom... she was one cool lady

Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE