SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Asparagus

4/14/15 @ 9:36 PM
INITIAL POST
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Just wondering who picks and when you start picking. For some great reason I get a kick out of it. Last year was more of a learning opportunity and I was fairly discouraged. However, I stuck with it and managed to map out/mark on a GPS over 300 areas with plants on different road around my house...Hoping this is the ticket.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts
5/28/23 @ 1:40 PM
Formerly the big guy
PRO MEMBER User since 10/3/11
Been looking around my area and only finding a few. Really think we need some rain as my garden is really dry. Most of the stalks I've been getting are nice and thick.
6/10/22 @ 12:21 PM
Formerly the big guy

Picked again yesterday 6-9-22. Only found 8-10 stalks on the back roads by my house. Will look again next week.

6/9/22 @ 6:30 PM
kill'n time
User since 7/14/09

I have not cut until spring and have had good success, just a mess in the yard come fall when they all fall over. Had a good harvest from the garden this year and thinking of trying to make a batch of pickled asparagus. Ill try an online recipe, but they are all over the place. If I am going through the effort was wondering if anyone has a good one they would be willing to share.  Thanks

6/9/22 @ 4:50 PM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/faq/when-can-i-cut-back-my-asparagus-foliage

6/9/22 @ 1:10 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Leave them until spring if you want to keep them for the wildlife.  Otherwise cut them in the fall.  Also I've read that if you have the asparagus beetle (I do) cut the stalks in the fall and it will reduce the amount of beetles you'll have the next year.  I've done this the last two years and it seems to be helping.  I had a few beetles early this year but I smooshed every one of them I found.  Haven't seen anymore in a couple of weeks now.

6/9/22 @ 7:18 AM
Walli Guy
User since 7/27/14

i was told by a old asparagus grower to cut the stalks after they are dead in fall so winter winds dont whip the plants around and potentially harm the root system

been doing it that way for 6-7 years with no ill effects, but i aint no master gardener lol.

i'd google but i'm going fishing

6/8/22 @ 12:49 PM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

You cut the stalks in fall?? I was always told to leave them over winter to insulate the roots to help prevent freezing out over winter.

6/8/22 @ 9:01 AM
Walli Guy
User since 7/27/14

never heard of pulling female plants, i just let em all go until cutting the stalks close to the ground in late fall.

this was the fourth year for a 6x6 ft patch i started from seeds and i picked a lot of good sized spears. let a bunch of pencil sized and smaller go to seed. the patch is filling in more each year

6/7/22 @ 12:15 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I'm going to let mine grow now.  I got about four pickings this year - overall a pretty good year.  Lots of new females popping up in my asparagus bed this year.  Should I try to pull those?

6/6/22 @ 8:47 AM
Walli Guy
User since 7/27/14

its been over for about a week here in WC IL, but it was a very good year for finding wild and picking from the garden. helped make up for the poor morel season

6/5/22 @ 5:43 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

got 1 pound 6 ounces today probably the last picking I wasnt going to go because last week I got a lot and we blanched and froze it. I didnt have much to do today so I went to get some burdock and checked my spots

6/4/22 @ 8:25 PM
Formerly the big guy

Picked today 6-4-22 walking around by my house. Only found enough for a small meal. Will look somemore next week.

5/30/22 @ 5:55 PM
Formerly the big guy

Picked asparagus today 5-30-22 driving back roads on the way home from the store, Got about a dozen stalks. The other 2 times I picked I got about 20 each time. Will probably get out a couple more times before it's over.

5/23/22 @ 2:53 PM
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
User since 10/13/05

Picked 5+ pounds this weekend in the Montello area.  Great time.  Gave us 6 bags in the freezer.  Just tastes a little different than the store bought.  Look forward to it each May!

1/19/22 @ 8:57 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I do experience the competition when looking for asparagus in the roadside ditch.  The more pressing issue though is the abundance of poison ivy.  If anyone wants asparagus they have to wade through the ivy first - I always wear knee boots and wash good when i get home

Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE