vinz
User since 1/1/04
Anybody find any wild asparagras yet?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 84 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/1/11 @ 6:39 PM
ten4
User since 3/22/14
Type on "mature asparagus plant" on google. This time of year asparagus will be anywhere from 3 to 5 feet, a green color and branched out with yellow seed looking things.

Good luck.

6/30/14 @ 10:08 AM
Crashnrondo
User since 6/13/02
What does wild asparagus look like this time of year? I looked at google images but it seems to really vary, I think I have some in the ditch behind my house but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a picture of the whole thing and a close up of the top?

Thanks

6/11/14 @ 8:26 PM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Picked this morning but someone is also picking same spots. Definitely some spots are done but others are going strong. Still picked upward of 15 pounds. Gave most away to niegbors and friends plus had some for supper and for a couple days ahead.

Kinda asparagus out right now but had a good year over all. Might get out once more but the wife said we have enough grass this year and I say you can never have enough.

6/6/14 @ 12:11 PM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Picking has slowed and more spots are ending for the year. I did pick about 15-20pounds today but some spots wre already picked clean from other peeps. No problem thou, I got enough for me and the family. I might go out again just because I enjoy picking so much.

6/3/14 @ 10:50 AM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Just got done canning 18. Pints and 4 quarts of asparagus. That will be it for this year of canning grass. Ended up with 46pints and 8quarts canned/pickled. Heading out one more time to pick but will freeze that. Here's today's session of canning.

6/1/14 @ 9:37 PM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
I literally picked so much asparagus that I had to go down stairs and put it in the deep sink. Dint weigh it yet but I am guessing up to 40-50 pounds. Going to be canning some more on Friday. Grass is coming to an end in some places but going strong yet in others. I will be letting some places go til next year.

5/29/14 @ 3:14 PM
jcott948
jcott948
User since 1/1/13
Cool, thanks for the info Hika Jupa.

Looks really good HH! I love pickled asparagus Smile

5/29/14 @ 1:09 PM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Well, after yesterday's pick, me and my buddy canned/pickled 36 pints and 3quarts today. It started off at 5 this morning and just ended. Only had one jar break. We used two different recipes in which one had pickling spice and dill weed and the other has red pepper flakes with dill.

5/29/14 @ 12:04 PM
Hika Jupa
Hika Jupa
User since 5/6/09
The best places are rural roadside ditches, railroad tracks, and bike trails that were formally railroad tracks. Be careful with roadsides and tracks though, you could run into trespassing issues.

5/29/14 @ 9:12 AM
jcott948
jcott948
User since 1/1/13
Hudson Hawk, what general locality are you in?

What kind of conditions does everyone look for? I've stumbled upon some in the past, but didn't really know why. Any suggestions will be very appreciated

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 84 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.