SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Youth hunt

9/18/12 @ 9:56 PM
INITIAL POST
bkroll
User since 12/5/11
I feel this youth hunt is a sign of our times. Kids now a days are afforded the same if not better opportunitys as adults. What happened to wait your turn like the rest of us had to. Adults spend all the money on hunting and do the scouting so kids can go out a month and a half early and shoot bucks. I think this hunt should be doe only. I may sound cold hearted but I feel very strongly about this, I have 23 nephews so it's not like I don't love kids I do. It's just that I waited my turn, so should they. It just seems every one caters to the kids. Thoughts?
Displaying 76 to 90 of 279 posts
10/13/14 @ 6:19 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Good stuff land man and lb5! I love hearing about the successful hunts - and its great to get the kids outdoors and off the electronics.
10/13/14 @ 10:31 AM
land man
User since 9/12/06
The first night we had about 25 deer in the big hay field, including 8 different bucks all at the same time. (Some were about 400 yards away, but we could see them with binoculars.) This 4pt buck came about 75 yards away and my son dropped it on the spot with a double lung shot. Sunday night we had 11 deer on the field at the same time, including a group of 7 does. My son shot two of the does, both dropping on the spot at about 60-70 yards. Another youth hunter in our group got a 5pt. buck on Sunday and a different one missed a buck of a lifetime (14pts.) Good hunt!
Youth hunt photo by land man
10/13/14 @ 8:08 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
Great looking pics and awesome stories to go with them!
10/13/14 @ 7:08 AM
lb5
lb5
User since 2/27/10
Gr8 job Lacey and Linda. Lacey for getting her first buck during the 2014 Youth Hunt, and Linda for taking the time to be her guide. This is a buck we have had pictures of for the last (2) years and he has grown similar racks each year. Makes a Dad very proud to see the women in his life succeed. lb5 bucks
Youth hunt photo by lb5
10/12/14 @ 7:49 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11
Love to see all these posts/photos of successful youth hunts! Good on all you parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and mentors! (And anyone else I may have missed.) Tim
10/12/14 @ 7:28 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I think it's wrong to hunt youths. Won't someone think of the children? The Children!? But seriously folks, I hope you all had a successful hunt. Sadly, my boy doesn't qualify as a "youth" anymore. They grow up so fast!
10/12/14 @ 5:09 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Had an awesome hunt with my boy. He got his first buck this weekend. He shot it in a marsh - helping him drag it back reminded me of how out of shape I am. He make a good shot - about 1/2 inch below the heart. He ran about 40 yards before falling. My son says he's been playing it over and over again in his mind. Good stuff, and a great weekend with my boy.
Youth hunt photo by Plmlk
10/10/14 @ 9:13 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
I remember my first couple years deer hunting, 24 years ago now. Back when we had the option for a hunter choice tag. I hunted with my brother and my dad, my dad would only let us have one hunter choice tag between me and my brother. First year he had it, then I had it. I can remember really wanting a hunter choice tag because it seemed so much easier to get a doe. Wouldnt you know the year i had it, first deer i seen was a 6pt, turned out to be my first ever deer and I can remember it like it was yesterday.
10/9/14 @ 5:43 PM
bigday96
User since 6/10/05
Yeah I suspect any doe that crosses my sons path (that is of any size)is probably at risk of going down. He's a big talker now...let's see how he does in the blind Saturday morning at 6:40 a.m.! Luckily for him...he's the only hunter on my property who has permission to take a Doe before regular gun season.
10/9/14 @ 4:23 PM
land man
User since 9/12/06
bigday- Just wait until he has been out there 2 hours, a doe will start looking good even then. At least that's how my son was when he was 10. Fun times. He is 15 now and has a couple of bucks and 6 does under his belt. I am looking forward to this weekend. Too bad my daughter is too old now Sad
10/9/14 @ 3:39 PM
bigday96
User since 6/10/05
My 10 year old is overly optimistic. He's only shooting at an 8 pointer and up Saturday. Sunday at the end of the day he'll maybe take a Doe if he hasn't had something better to shoot at. Let's see how he handles potentially seeing nothing over 2 days Smile
10/9/14 @ 11:52 AM
Bass_Pike_man
Bass_Pike_man
User since 6/15/01
And remember to all adults... This is for the kids. Let them shoot!
10/6/14 @ 4:21 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
Good luck to all the kids and parents this weekend!!!
10/6/14 @ 7:42 AM
Bass_Pike_man
Bass_Pike_man
User since 6/15/01
I cannot wait to get out this weekend with my son. This will be his first year hunting, at age 10. I will be sitting right next to him, in the blind, hoping to at least see a deer. I am not worried about him getting one, just want him to see what I experience, when I go out during the regular season! This week will seem like forever!
9/23/14 @ 12:43 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
beautiful shot placement too. Nice Job! I'd be proud too.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 279 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE