SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Youth hunt

9/18/12 @ 9:56 PM
INITIAL POST
bkroll
User since 12/5/11
I feel this youth hunt is a sign of our times. Kids now a days are afforded the same if not better opportunitys as adults. What happened to wait your turn like the rest of us had to. Adults spend all the money on hunting and do the scouting so kids can go out a month and a half early and shoot bucks. I think this hunt should be doe only. I may sound cold hearted but I feel very strongly about this, I have 23 nephews so it's not like I don't love kids I do. It's just that I waited my turn, so should they. It just seems every one caters to the kids. Thoughts?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 279 posts
10/18/19 @ 2:38 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I think you missed what I meant.  I wasn't comparing incomes, I was comparing how kids respond to things and the many more distractions they have today than years ago...when like you said they had less money for those distractions.  So you kind of proved my point unintentionally.  I was mostly saying there are a lot more things for kids to do these days than hunt.  I don't think they all think its their right, they are just better off now like you said.  I'm sure if people had more money years ago they'd have bought more things too, sort of how it works.

I do agree though that access is a huge part of it as well, don't get me wrong.  I think its a combination to be honest.  If the access is hard and the hunting isn't great, they can lose interest.  Heck who doesn't, there are a lot less guys up north now than years ago so it happens to adults too.

10/18/19 @ 12:33 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"I don't get caught up in the whole 'this generation' thing.  I guarantee if you could have taken the technology of today and inserted it back in the 50's or 60's that many of the older guys would have been playing it as kids too."

The difference is, with the Baby Boomer generation, not many families could have afforded a $500 iphone even if technology was available.  Heck, a lot of families I know would eat lard sandwiches because they couldn't afford anything else.  Hunting was different then.  Hunting was utilized to primarily provide food for families (in the northwoods anyway).  Now, hunting is more a sport and privatized.  Hunting has turned into a rich man's game.  The generation thing to me is valid, and the new generations believe it is their right to have iphones and anything else they want...people are simply better off today.  

10/18/19 @ 8:50 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I like the mentor part of the hunt.  When I was 12 I got put in a tree with a weapon to shoot a deer, I didn't sit with anyone to show me things.  I've taken my son out on the youth hunt the last 2 years now and its been nice to show him what to do, when to move, etc.  Practicing, preaching gun safety, etc.  He actually popped right out of bed every time.  Even one time he wasn't going to, then he remembered it was for deer hunting and he instantly got up.  He goes with me at times during the normal seasons as well.  Kids have a lot going on, I try to make it fun in the hopes it sticks for when he's older.

I don't get caught up in the whole 'this generation' thing.  Each generation is going to be different based on the world around them.  I guarantee if you could have taken the technology of today and inserted it back in the 50's or 60's that many of the older guys would have been playing it as kids too.  And don't forget your generation is responsible for raising the next generation you are complaining about so who is really to blame?  No one ever actually states that, I say it as a joke but its true.  

Prior to having kids I would bow hunt during the youth weekend and get deer on public areas.  I know there were kids out but the overall number statewide is pretty small in comparison to the normal seasons.  Many guys I find complaining don't even have youth hunters around them and when i mention that they get all defensive.  Its fun to do.

10/17/19 @ 4:07 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Fish hound, I don’t blame you one bit. I would have done the same thing.

My feelings on the youth season have evolved over time. I used to be dead-set against it, but that changed when my son was born. I’m actually chomping at the bit to take him out for this. I believe that at ten years old for example, he’s too young for our regular 9 day deer camp. The youth season would be a great opportunity for some one on one time in the woods.

His first experience will not be in a heated blind over a manicured food plot, predicated by “pictures of good ones” and no preparation. To justify the youth hunt I want him to spend time in the woods with me - walking, scouting, and having some genuine interest in real hunting- not what is filmed Real Tree Outdoors. If the stars line up with all that, a “good one” could be a yearling doe. 

10/17/19 @ 2:10 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I offered our deer property and stands to an acquaintance who had been talking about going and looking for a spot. He promptly asked if I had any pictures of "good ones" running around. I rescinded the offer and wished him luck.

10/16/19 @ 10:24 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I always had a great time with my boys during the youth season! sitting in a 2 man stand together for a few hrs seeing different things, eating snacks and joking around was awesome, getting a deer was just a bonus. Seeing my youngest son progress and actually pass on young deer to see if something bigger came by really amazed me, I could not do that at a young age! We saw lots of things that we still talk about today like the owl that swooped past us and landed on a branch above us just before dark or the doe with no tail that knew we were there but just couldn’t find us. Now my youngest isn’t so young anymore and is more interested in girls and friends at this point in time which I totally understand. Enjoy those youth hunts while u can, time flies!!

10/15/19 @ 6:43 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I don’t disagree with any of the points made in recent posts, and I do understand where you are coming from. 

That said back in the day, finding quality hunting land was much easier than it is today. Quality hunts (and access to quality land) with family is why most of us got into the sport many years ago. 

I believe it is important for today’s youth to have a quality hunt with their parent (or mentor) to show them what it is all about.

Times are different than when we grew up. Opening day on public land is a rat race, and many folks don’t practice common courtesy - unlike when most of us got into the sport.  

During the youth hunt the woods is filled with fathers and their children, definitely a more accommodating environment than you’ll find on opening day.

My kids are grown, but some of the best memories I can recall were during the youth hunts, both waterfowl and whitetail. It gave us a low hunting pressure day, where we could spend the day together, and parents could pass on what they know. 

Also, when we were kids, there were no smartphones or social media - it’s tough to get today’s kids to unplug. 

I’m a big fan of the youth hunts, for those who are on the fence, take a kid out hunting (even if it isn’t your own), and it may change your perspective. 

10/15/19 @ 9:33 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Brent,

I agree with you for the most part.  The only thing that concerns me is the ability to keep young hunters interested after they outgrow the special opportunities.  As you mention:

Also, during the regular season there are so many folks out hunting, it can be hard to find a decent spot (especially on public hunting grounds.). 

Once it gets harder, does the fire burn hotter or just go out?

I often hear many complain about how much the youth of today are entitled and want immediate gratification.  I'm not sure what special opportunities like this do to that construct.

I have zero issue with anyone taking advantage of the opportunities that are available to them.  But at the same time, I don't have to agree with the opportunity being available in the first place.  That doesn't make me a complainer.  It just means I have an opinion, and I'm sharing it here.

Here is my final point, and the one thing that bothers me about the idea of youth hunts.  For me, it makes the hunt too much about the kill.

10/15/19 @ 9:30 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"The above said, times have changed, and it’s important to get today’s youth into the sport.  Without today’s youth into hunting (over their smartphone), the sport will die with us middle-aged folks in 30 years. "

In my opinion, that is what is wrong with the country today...a lot of people want freebies and handouts.  Millennial's and future generations have grown up in the world of everyone deserves a trophy.  Frankly, watching hunting shows where a 5 year old shoots a buck out of a blind off of a tripod sickens me...all of which the kid had nothing to do with.  The kid has no idea of what hunting involves, and start their hunting career off with a trophy (any deer).  I don't see any correlation of young kids sticking with the sport if they shoot a deer at 9 years old vs. a kid who shoots a deer at 12 years old.

To me, the reason the sport is shrinking is purely hunting land access.  Most of us could walk out our parents' door and hunt the neighbors land..squirrels, grouse, deer, whatever.  That is not the case anymore.  If you don't have your own land, you are pretty much out of luck...especially if you are a kid without a driver's license.  Kid's whose parents have hunting land will most likely stick with the sport regardless if they shoot a deer at 2 years old or 16 years old.  Parents who are forced to battle on public land for few deer are most likely not going to have the same success getting their kids involved.  

10/13/19 @ 2:14 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I do understand why some folks do not support the youth hunt, as most of us did not have that opportunity growing up; yet somehow we still enjoy the sport, and being out in God’s Country.  

The above said, times have changed, and it’s important to get today’s youth into the sport.  

Without today’s youth into hunting (over their smartphone), the sport will die with us middle-aged folks in 30 years. 

Also, during the regular season there are so many folks out hunting, it can be hard to find a decent spot (especially on public hunting grounds.). 

The youth hunt gives today’s youth a special opportunity to get hooked on the sport. Also, most of us on here would much rather a youth fill a tag than us. 

Fowler took my boys on the duck youth hunt about 8 years ago, and the experience really stuck with my youngest. He’s still all about hunting! Looking through 8 year old pics, I found a few...

Awesome memories. 

Awesome job getting you’re kids out there gentlemen, and congrats to all the kids who filled their tag! 

10/8/19 @ 12:13 PM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
User since 3/30/18

Thanks. And to all the guys crying a about the youth I'm positive I we didn't mess up anyone's bow hunting (mine included), and there is one more young girl hooked on deer hunting. She says shoot it, clean it, eat it.

10/8/19 @ 11:42 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Awesome job, Jigger. That smile says it all. 

10/7/19 @ 1:58 PM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
User since 3/30/18

weather sucked this weekend but my daughter and I stuck it out killing this Doe with a minute left last night. I think that was the best time I've had in the stand. You can see from her smile right after the shot and seeing it drop she had fun also.

10/7/19 @ 11:00 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Congrats to the young hunters and to everyone that took the time to go with them. Those are great pics and memories.

I enjoy the youth season and think it's a great opportunity for the kids, though some probably are getting a skewed perception of hunting if they are sitting over plots in shooting houses. We don’t do that.

My daughter is 14 now. She didn’t go last year, but we got out yesterday evening for a few hours. We bumped a nice buck on the way in and saw a bunch of squirrels from the stand. We had a good time and other than the breeze it was a great night to sit. 

She was very lucky the first two years, killing nice bucks the first morning out after only sitting about an hour each time. So I was secretly hoping she wouldn’t see much. Maybe it sounds bad, but I’d rather she get a more realistic experience, and she did. She said she still had a great time, and I was happy to see her patience has really improved. That was my favorite takeaway from the hunt. 

10/7/19 @ 9:39 AM
mudbucket
PRO MEMBER User since 12/21/04

My son shot this guy Sunday morning.. Hes going to hydro dip the skull for a 4h project. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 279 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE