Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wolves ordered back on endangered species list

12/19/14 @ 8:14 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11
This is truly sickening and sets back the concept of wildlife management as we know it more than the combination of Dr. Deer and Cathy Stepp put together.

Tim

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/25/14 @ 10:30 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
This sparked my curiosity so I looked it up. One of the High Priorities for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service, Office of Law Enforcement, is to stop the killing of endangered species. In Feb, 2013, South Dakota, a 26 year old man was found guilty of killing a Whooping Crane. He sentenced to 85,000 restitution, 2 yrs probation, $25 assessment to Victum Assistance fund?, Forfeiture of the rifle he used, and fishing and hunting priveldges suspended for 2yrs. I'm thinking if he already had a record, he would have received jail time. I don't like the Feds getting involved with the health of our states wildlife. But, there isn't much you can do legally except start calling your Senators and Congressmen. We all know that every states situation is different and can't be fixed with a One rule, Fix All Act. It's really ridiculas but not many will want to chance the fines and such stated above. It's a tough spot we're in at the moment. Merry Christmas

12/24/14 @ 9:15 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
User since 9/16/01
a) " If the Feds won't manage the population, then I don't bat an eye if someone wants to blast a wolf." - JC

b) If you get a walleye pond full of bloodsuckers, don't you want to get rid of the bloodsuckers?" - JC

Part a) I don't think anyone is managing any creatures, great or small, in the state of Wisconsin since a few someone(s) were given the reins, but that doesn't mean that it's OK to blast every creature into oblivion.

Part b) Uhhh, no. I would spend my time fishing in a different water.

JC, I hope you know that I understand that folks like you only want what you want. When you don't get it legally, illegally is just as good. It's the same oat bag. Everything was put here to please you and folks like you. It's not that you forget that there others in this state, also. It's that you don't give a hoot about others. There's a name for folks like you, but the word evades me at the moment.

12/24/14 @ 5:56 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
User since 8/31/11
I say we have the original poster head up north with a case of beer and a 30-06 to take care of the wolf problem? PS don't use your real name on an internet forum when you have 3 DUI's and an intoxicated weapon charge. Especially when a quick WCCA google search makes it clear you probably shouldn't be representing sportmans. Wait for it, not the same Josh E............ in 3 2 1

12/24/14 @ 3:00 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
I just can't agree with the poaching of wolves simply because you disagree with the law protecting them, whether they need said protection or not. The anti's will use that as ammunition to keep them protected and to aid them in banning future hunting should they be removed from the list again. Anti's will use any excuse they can to ban hunting and deliberate poaching because you disagree with the law will do nothing but help them. They paint hunters with a broad brush as it is. I'm not saying sit back and do nothing, but the best way to handle this one is to work within the law; lobby, vote, attend the sportsmen congress, contact your senators and representatives. Don't give the opposition ammunition to use against legitimate sportsmen.

12/24/14 @ 1:40 PM
lawdog616
lawdog616
User since 1/20/04
Seems to me that we need to stand together against these outside groups and the Feds. We need less Federal intervention and more reliance on State Rights.

Most all of us agree that the wolves need to be managed. I think we all agree that the State does a better job (Not great) than the Federal Government.

We for too long have allowed ourselves to be managed by the Government and have stood fairly quietly by and done little or nothing. Lets stand together in this and other management issues or we will all be standing together saying "remember when we used to be able to hunt". "Remember when we used to own guns". "Remember when we did not have to hide when we spoke about these things".

This is just one of many issues that this administration is forcing through. Did you know that this judge is the same judge that just dismissed Sheriff Joe's lawsuit against the Obama amnesty?

Just my 2 Cents.

12/24/14 @ 1:08 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Never heard of a guy going to jail for killing a wolf. Pretty hard to throw a guy into jail for that, especially with a fairly clean record.

"Kidding aside JC, aren't you one of the guys professing to have the utmost respect for all animals? "

Uh, no, not sure where you got that. But, I believe animals must be managed for healthy populations, since nothing is natural anymore. The entire state of WI is not what it used to be, and every square inch of land has been affected by man through logging, farming, or building. If the Feds won't manage the population, then I don't bat an eye if someone wants to blast a wolf. If you get a walleye pond full of bloodsuckers, don't you want to get rid of the bloodsuckers?

12/24/14 @ 12:44 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Ya got me.

12/24/14 @ 11:32 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Hunters need to start a group or fund that will help pay any fines for taking a wolf next year....for the few that get caught.

I like this idea. Unfortunately, you couldn't buy their hunting privileges back. I can't see how this would be illegal. It's not like you'd being contracting with them to kill wolves. You're just helping a bother out with some unexpected bills. Wink

12/24/14 @ 11:05 AM
NiteMite
NiteMite
User since 9/16/01
" I completely have a distaste for wolves" -JC

They are just beautiful dogs. I did hear it's all in how you cook them. Slow with veggies.

Kidding aside JC, aren't you one of the guys professing to have the utmost respect for all animals?

12/24/14 @ 10:28 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"Personally I see no purpose they serve in any state but that's another subject. OK. Following that logic, what purpose does the whitetail deer serve? Other than you want to blast one. "

The main purpose, as far as the government is concerned, is the billions of dollars pumped into the economy due to whitetail hunting. For wolves, there was a reason they were slaughtered in the U.S. I completely have a distaste for wolves, but agree that 250-350 in the state is socially acceptable. Not with the likely 1000+ plus wolves we currently have. A minimum count of 660 wolves is useless for determining the actual population in the entire state of WI.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.