LOGIN
Lake-Link

wolf hunt

8/31/12 @ 5:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hardcorewisconsin
hardcorewisconsin
USER SINCE 12/12/10
just wondering how most guys are gonna try to harvest a wolf if they draw a tag ? think guys will start guiding for them ?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 204 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/22/14 @ 9:35 PM
buckhound
buckhound
USER SINCE 4/18/06
Couple of red squirrels left in the same spot WILL deliver them to you for viewing.Done by neighbors to prevent squirrel damage to their house, and look what shows up.

10/22/14 @ 8:20 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER SINCE 12/18/07
Who knows if I'm correct on that Mani... Just offering my honest opinion based on the sign that I see in the woods. I see Wolf tracks absolutely everywhere - have to look a lot harder for a beaten down deer trail, or areas where they are bedding down.

Used to see buck rubs all over the place, no so much anymore. The rubs have been replaced with areas where the wolfs ate their last meal. Beaten down areas, plenty of tracks in and out, and a bit of blood and bone left...

Also, Wolfs can be fairly vocal in the evenings... Kind of creeps the kids out in the tent...

Far from anything scientific, but definitely a different landscape than it has been over the last 30 years...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
10/22/14 @ 8:17 PM
tstoeger
Troy Stoeger
USER SINCE 4/2/02
I have a question, curiosity more than anything else... What does a guy do with a wolf once he harvests one?

I don't deer hunt anymore either but... I do bird hunt and have noticed in recent years, I do see less deer than I used to grouse hunting, particularly further north. For what that's worth anyway. I've heard a lot of guys say the same thing. Whether that's solely the wolves eating deer or not, I don't know but there sure seems to be less deer out there.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
10/22/14 @ 7:47 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER SINCE 12/18/07
Been following this thread for a while without comment, couldn't help but jump in...

Northwoods- I agree that hunters kill more deer than all other sources combined i.e. Wolfs, Winter kill, bears, etc...

That said, there has been exceedingly few antlerless tags issued for the Northern zones. Given the low doe harvest by hunters, why has the deer herd not rebounded? Harsh winters? No doubt that comes into play, but so does the number of wolves. All factors combined, we have less deer.

I'm not out to demonize the Wolf, but I have been hunting Vilas County since I was a boy, and the current deer herd is as small as I've ever seen it. I truly see more Wolf sign in the woods than Deer sign - that certainly says something about the current population of both. Just looking for a little bit of balance and an honest evaluation of both the deer herd, and the Wolf herd.

We are being told that the Wolf population is low, and the deer population is fine. For me, my time in the woods tells me different. Sure there are still deer to be had, you do have to put your time in though. My point is, in Vilas County I'm fairly confident that I could fill a Wolf tag quicker than a deer tag.

Lastly, I'm not complaining, just offering my perspective based on what I have seen in the woods...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
10/22/14 @ 7:15 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
USER SINCE 1/7/13
musky nut: i wouldn't say i love wolves, but i'd say i love native species in native places. and hey hearing wolves at night when i'm camping in the northwoods is pretty neat. it's not like i'm against wolf hunting, far from it. what i am against is the anti-wolf rhetoric and the constant demonizing of wolves killing all the deer by hunters. honestly the comments of some of you anti-wolf folks are making are the same comments and tatics peta uses on hunters who kill deer

10/22/14 @ 7:10 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
USER SINCE 1/7/13
ummm...not sure where you got that i was from minn. i'm from north central wisconsin. sharptail grouse is a wisconsin problem.

i guess a lot of folks on here don't care much for conservation. pretty sad we don't care about wildlife in other states. i guess all some care about is the almight whitetail....folks must watch too much boner collector

as far as wolves killing all the deer, please read the deer mortality study. wolves definitely killed deer but there were many other things that killed deer at much higher rates, like hunters. wolves are hardly the only cause of the low deer populations (if you can even call them low).

i'll say it again, the days of wisconsin being a deer game farm with an unsustainable deer herd are over, better get used to it

10/22/14 @ 9:44 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09
The last part of the 3 S's is 'shut up' so non-hunters should not know of any poaching. LOL Tounge Out

Sorry, couldn't resist. Big Smile

10/22/14 @ 6:38 AM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02
What I find almost comical is a person from far NW Minnesota comes on LL and tells everybody what's best for WI and how the WI northwoods has been effected.

Then tells us not to worry about WI whitetail numbers and says we should be more worried about Moose and Sharptail in his home state.

WOW!

10/21/14 @ 9:41 PM
musky nut
musky nut
USER SINCE 7/20/12
Northwoodslabs must work for the DNR! Never known a person to love wolves like he does. Yea it must be politics now,blah blah blah!!! "The wolves armt the problem" really???? Wow your way out there man. My hunting group of five people in Glidden WI haven't shot a single deer in 7 years so don't give me that crap!!! Wolves tracks all over the place!! If you loved deer hunting soooo much you would feel the same as the rest of us on here!!

10/21/14 @ 7:24 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
USER SINCE 1/7/13
jc a few things:

1. the north american model of wildlife conservation states that wildlife is held in the public trust and there is a democratic rule of law. thus, all people in this country "own" the wildlife. one group does not "own" wildlife more than any other.

2. the survey was sent to substantially more people in the northern part of the state (wolf territory) than the south. say what you want but the survey was unbiased.

3. contrary to popular belief the dnr has no hidden agenda on wolves. all the head folks at the dnr are political appointees. prior to being appointed dnr secretary by walker cathy stepp had never bought a deer hunting license.

4. basically at the end of your statement you are condoning, even encouraging poaching. keep in mind the majority of the public does not hunt, but approve of hunting. if we start poaching a bunch of wolves we will see the pendelum swing to most being against hunting.

i love hunting deer and wish there were more around, but this constant uproar by hunters about wolves is getting old. wolves aren't the problem. the problem is us, the habitat, and 2 hard winters. at some point we as deer hunters need to grow up and get over the anti wolf rhetoric.

i get a kick out of hunters constantly whining about whitetail deer when there are species that are in REAL trouble that you never hear anything about such as sharptail grouse and moose in the boundary waters

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 204 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.