Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Which tag do I use.

11/22/22 @ 7:02 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Cory2
USER SINCE 7/16/10

Shot a buck with archery equipment during gun season. Which tag do I use?  Probably on here somewhere. Just can’t find reg.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/23/22 @ 12:59 PM
44/45
MEMBER SINCE 3/9/11

Gun Buck tag to be filled with a legal firearm. Although you can shoot a deer with a bow/ crossbow during the gun season if you have a valid archery tag.  A doe tag for a specific zone can be filled by either. And I'm sticking to it!

11/23/22 @ 8:07 AM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

C'mon people.  Just read the regs each season.  It literally took 34 seconds to find the answer once the pamphlet opened up.

2 2022 Wisconsin Hunting Regulations
W I S C O N S I N
H U N T I N G
REGULATIONS
FALL 2022–SPRING 2023
CONTENTS
Season Dates 3
General Hunting Regulations 4
Licensing Requirements 7
Deer 10
Elk 15
Small Game/Upland Birds 16
Bear 21
Migratory Game Birds 23

....goes to page 10......

BUCK HARVEST AUTHORIZATIONS
Gun Buck Deer Harvest Authorization
? Issued with a gun deer license and
valid in any DMU statewide.
? Authorizes the harvest of one buck
deer with any legal weapon type

11/23/22 @ 8:03 AM
Flasch24
Flasch24
USER SINCE 1/8/18

Sniper:  I'm pretty sure that regulation is also good through muzzleloader season, not just the 9-day gun season.  From my understanding, you can shoot a buck with your bow and use your gun buck tag as long as it's during the 9-day gun season or muzzleloader season. 

11/22/22 @ 1:09 PM
Big Green Turtle
USER SINCE 4/2/17

You can use either your bow tag or your gun. I recommend using your gun tag since the season is shorter. Then you still have the option of filling your archers tag once gun season is over. 

11/22/22 @ 11:07 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER SINCE 7/17/09

Very interesting. Good catch. Was not aware of those tagging options with gun deer buck tag.

11/22/22 @ 10:44 AM
sniper
USER SINCE 10/17/01

I'm pretty sure you can register it with your Gun tag. A gun buck authorization tag can be filled with a bow, crossbow, or gun. You could save your archery tag. Obviously you can't fill your archery tag with a gun.

Gun Buck Deer • Valid in any unit statewide for harvesting a buck deer that has at least one antler which is 3” or longer in length. • This harvest authorization is not weapon-specific and is valid for harvesting a buck deer killed with a firearm, crossbow or vertical bow under the authority of a valid gun deer license during the November 9-day gun deer season

11/22/22 @ 7:09 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER SINCE 7/17/09

Archery tag. Nice job on the harvest. I found it gets really tough to get them close once the late season is upon us.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.