What killed it for you?

10/15/18 @ 12:09 AM
INITIAL POST
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

To piggyback on the last thread "What motivates you?"

What killed it for you?

For me it was my dad getting sick about 3 years ago. He passed just almost 2 years ago.

Toss in a dislocated knee and other med problems. I haven't seen the woods in over 3 years.

Never missed a year since I was 10 (I am 37) until then. I just lost it. 

I'd rather be fishing.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 86 posts
12/10/18 @ 4:11 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion, but what's killing it for me is the lack of antlerless permits available in the northern forest zone.

I know what we did in the past was wrong (with 1000s of antlerless permits available up there) but at this point in my life (59) I sure would be happy to just take one reasonably plump doe for the freezer.

I've never been a trophy hunter and I'm not going to claim I need to shoot a deer to survive. But a freezer full of venison does take a bite out of the grocery bill. With much healthier and more delicious meat to boot.

Like other guys have posted, age does take its toll on you and feet and knees and hips and back just can't do things anymore like they did when you were 30. Trust me, one day you're looking in the mirror and you're pushing 60 years old. HTF did that happen.

I liked to old days of Hunters Choice. Bring it up to date and make it one deer and you're done in the northern forest zone. That would work for me.

After this year, I think I might be done.

Forever.

RR

12/3/18 @ 5:42 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10

i lost my itch to get out for a few reasons

1- have a young kids. too young to take out. and i lack patience to take child out. i waterfowl hunt and most spots need a helping hand to hunt.

2- most friends either dont hunt anymore,or we've grown apart.

3- i travel 5-30 days in a row,due to my work. time home is time with family.

4- had permission to hunt 300 acres in iowa county. landowner passed and kids sold it.

all reasons killed my buzz.

i get out in the blind about 2-5 times a year. kill a few ducks/geese. i live in country. so some shooting is just pass shooting geese. hope to get out more once kids get older.

12/3/18 @ 3:21 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

It’s easier for people to be “good” hunters when u have prime land in the best areas of the state, no regular job, money isn’t an issue and you have all the latest and greatest equipment at your disposal. I really like the Drury’s and think they’re quite knowledgeable but how “good” would they be if they were put on the same over hunted public land that regular joe’s have to hunt? I think most people know to watch the wind, be scent free etc etc. it’s the hunting location, free time to hunt and your wallet that make the most difference imho. 

12/3/18 @ 11:47 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

I remember the pass through footage for that video, even though it’s been 20+ yrs since I last saw it. 

12/3/18 @ 11:00 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

That is correct.  The drurys and lakoskys own large amounts of land and are very successful managers of that land for large bucks.  They rarely use outfitters except for things like Western hunts.  They are good hunters.  The problem with them is not that they're bad people or bad hunters.  It's that that style doesn't work for maintaining a large population of hunters.  People talk about hunting going the european route where only rich hunt.  This is how it happens.  

12/3/18 @ 10:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Jimmer - Yes, he was in it.  Technically it was his video with Bob along as well.

12/3/18 @ 10:28 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
Brews, with all due respect you couldn't be further from the truth. yes, the opportunities the Drury's and Lakosky's have is far better off than most of us. But it doesn't mean they aren't good hunters. The way they manage farms and stand placement is very impressive. I'd suggest you tune into a few of the podcasts' Mark Drury has done. The guy in simple terms is a whitetail freak.. he knows his stuff. Also, both the Drury's and Lakosky's rarely venture to outfitters anymore for whitetails - they have their own properties for that. I'm not one to back the celebrities and product pushers, but give credit where credit is due. 
12/2/18 @ 11:14 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Down for the count, was that with Dan Fitzgerald? When I was younger me and a bud used to watch every Dan F video we could get out hands on. 

12/2/18 @ 9:53 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I agree on the hunting shows.  My favorite hunting show/video is actually pretty old.  If you can find a copy of Down for the Count, I recommend it.  Bob Foulkrod is in it and its before he became obsessed with big bucks like the rest of them.  They are shooting does, spikes, forks, occasional nice one, and getting excited the whole time.  They had a pass through shot on a buck where the arrow came out the other side opposite the hunter, only time I've seen that.  I saw a show with Bob sometime later and he shot a wounded deer during a gun season.  He complained the whole time because it was only a 2.5 year old and the other hunter should not have shot it, blah blah blah.  Not sure if that was a fluke or not, but I assumed he became a sell out like the rest of them.  Was not the same guy I saw in the old video.

12/2/18 @ 3:04 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Most  of the TV hunting shows are garbage! I watch one a year or two ago,an Elk Hunt!The guy paid $10000 at a ranch!Turns out the Elk came from Wi. Was trucked out to the ranch fed and let go into the range,every nite it would come in to get fed! Great hunter was put behind bales in fence line,Bang what a hunt!Most of these are pre scouted,blinds or stands set up,with ample camera angles set up to show ALL the products you need to buy. To be sucessful! All designed to get into your wallet!Donot even watch this garbage anymore!

12/2/18 @ 6:26 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

There is a big difference in hunting vs.fishing shows. I really enjoy most fishing shows The Next Bite, Larry Smith. For the simple reason we have the same opportunity to fish the same locations as them.Really informative. 

12/1/18 @ 6:10 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

You kept one of the deers shoes?

Nice deer!

12/1/18 @ 2:06 PM
alcrumpler
User since 7/19/09
I gotta laugh out the sent lock comment an all the gadgets. I smoke an no i dont leave my cig butts i put them in a zip lock bag. An had a cig in my mouth at the time i shot this guy with the bow so i laugh when i hear the guys say ya gotta do this gotta do that an cant do this or that. as a hunter best advise i was given was hour/time spent in the woods..an you get what you put in.
12/1/18 @ 1:25 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Yes, it is an fight waiting to happen when ya say Lee and Tiffany are not good hunters. I would not bet that Lee is not a good hunter but there is no way he would get bucks like that in the Flambeau River State Forest . He'd be lucky to get a spike . Tiffany, well we all know she is eye candy. As for me , I never watch the shows. I did see a little show on their life together but that is it. They  tell themselves they help the sport of hunting but that is likely far from the truth. Those shows get people so riled up about a trophy buck and pressure to  put one on the buck pole has cause many game violations an many honest hunters have lost out on hunting opportunities due to these kinds of poachers. They will never admit it because they have made many millions of dollars off their products and using the trophy hype to sell their products. Sad, but so true.

11/30/18 @ 4:02 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Way back when I was in high school I was into hunting.I knew nothing about deer hunting but I bought a 30/06 ,drove to some place near Eagle River and walked into the woods.Everything looked the same so I just sat down under a tree and waited. About 15 minutes later WHAM!! a big chunk of that tree blew off about 2 ft above my head! That evening I stopped in a bar close by and mentioned this to the bartender. He laughed and said that I probably was too close to another hunters area! That was a warning! He knew all this before I walked in because when I entered the bar some of them started laughing. F.  This !  I went back home,sold my rifle and spent all my time fishing CARPIO 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 86 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE