SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Trespassing

10/21/19 @ 10:50 AM
INITIAL POST
WindLaker1
User since 7/3/08

My nephew is having problems with a neighbor trespassing on his property.  The guy hung a tree stand.  I'm trying to help him out.  I never owned hunting land, so I don't know the correct way to proceed.

Can he prosecute if he does not have "No trespassing" signs posted?

Regarding the tree stand.  He set up two trail cams on the stand.  One in paling sight but high, one about 25' higher, covering both the stand and the other camera.  His bro-in-law wanted him to take it down and give it to him.  I said that may escalate the issue.  Nephew wants to get photos, then call the cops.

Ideas?

Displaying 16 to 20 of 20 posts
10/21/19 @ 6:05 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

Land is considered private even without signage.  The stand is still the trespasser's property even if he broke law putting it up.  If you take it, you may face charges of your own.  

Call the DNR.  Explain the problem and ask the agent to remove the stand.  Give him the name and contact info of the stand's owner.  Tell the Agent you do not wish to pursue it any further (if that is what you want to do) and ask that he relay hat to the stand owner.  

Friend of mine went through almost this same problem.  Guy claimed he was on a neighbor's property and he had permission.  He was nowhere near the property lines and the neighbor said that he too has issues with the guy coming on his property using the same claims. 

Be cautious of confronting trespassers.  There was a case in NW WI that did not turn out well for the owners and family members.   

10/21/19 @ 2:52 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

My understanding of WI. Tresspass law is that land does not have to be posted.  If there are concerns, my advice would be to call Local county Sheriff to confirm, once confirmed, take neighbors stand down, arrange to meet with him, return stand, advise him he does not have permission to hunt or tresspass on the property and warn him that if found tresspassing again, sheriff would be called.  Also, let him know if he wounds a deer and it comes on property, call first and you will meet with him to retrieve deer.

Good Luck..

10/21/19 @ 2:05 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

You could always drop a deuce right on the seat....

10/21/19 @ 11:25 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Remove the stand and leave a note with a phone number to call if they want it back. If they call, give them a warning and get their name, address, or license plate number. Whatever you can get to ID them to the cops if they repeat. If they don't call, sell the stand on Craigslist and use the proceeds to buy your favorite beverage. 

Displaying 16 to 20 of 20 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE