MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Trapping certificate courses

12/27/15 @ 10:58 AM
INITIAL POST
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07
I live in ozaukee county and want to take a trapping saftey course. Does anybody know of any in the SE Wisconsin area? Are there any online courses? Very poor info on the DNR website
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
1/19/16 @ 11:42 AM
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
User since 1/27/14
I've been looking for the past 2 years for portage county and only found one that was over by sandhill overnight opening weekend of bow hunting....
12/29/15 @ 12:41 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07
Doing the correspondence course. Should be fun. Rumor has it they will be doing a class at cabelas in Richfield this June also.
12/28/15 @ 6:47 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
I took the correspondence course that is also offered to obtain my certificate. Link on WDNR website in trapping section, or information can be obtained from Mike Widner, 608-356-3621
12/28/15 @ 6:15 PM
Mossy Horns
Mossy Horns
User since 6/15/01
https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/wise_student/app/classSearch.do There are 3 classes on the schedule so far. Save this link and check the list after the trapping season is over. Good luck.
12/28/15 @ 3:52 PM
mastertangler
User since 6/21/01
I too have been wanting to take the class and do everything legally....but can't find a course within 1.5hrs of my location. I specifically looked for and emailed to ask about an online class and was told that no longer exists. If someone knows otherwise, please give me a heads up. Trapping is a lot of work, and lately not worth the money, but it's still pretty exciting to catch something when you just get started.
12/27/15 @ 6:01 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09
The reason that there are very few classes this time of year is that they are out trapping. It is very difficult to work, run a trapline and teach a class. The DNR does not schedule the classes, the Wisconsin Trapper's Association schedules, orginizes and teaches the classes. They do all of that for no pay, as they are volunteers. The problems occur more in late summer, when the tags come out and everyone is looking for a class. The price of fur is very low. Most trappers trap for reasons other than money. It is an activity that they love doing. As late as it is, are you looking for a class for next year? Spring time is when the schedule will start to come up on the DNRs web site. I think it would be a good idea to get the class done in the spring/summer when there are many to choose from. It must be difficult to get a class put together when fall is near and they are getting ready to trap. The online class is an option and the correspondence course is another.
12/27/15 @ 2:36 PM
HornsHides&Fillets
User since 4/1/13
There is a link on the WI DNR site in which you can look if there are any upcoming courses in your area. If you cant find one they do offer an online course with a field day at the end you must attend in order to get your certificate.
12/27/15 @ 1:12 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
My son wanted to take a course and the closest one was 50 miles away. He said forget it. Aint even worth buying the license anymore besides going through the hassle. Said the DNR is pretty bad about it. I imagine they want to discourage trapping coons , coyotes and fox so the pheasant population won't fever rebound. Cant have that so make it hard for someone to trap..
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE