SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

State of hunting and fishing

12/8/15 @ 10:36 PM
INITIAL POST
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06
I've been thinking about this for a while just not sure how i wanted to word it so this may not come out right but when it comes to the state of hunting and fishing in Wisconsin, is Wisconsin going to be okay or are we in trouble. Now I'm talking all sorts of hunting from deer to bear to waterfowl to upland game. As a sportman myself I feel that right now there is a massive difference in opinions between all of us as how things are at the this point in time. Now don't get me wrong there is always differences in opinions and there always will be but I feel like this is a critical period in time. Now for the second part of this whole question is this...are populations of game and fish slowly decreasing or is there a chance that animals are slowly adjusting and getting smarter. I fish bass tournaments and I feel as if fish are getting smarter because they are so pressured. Is the same happening in hunting? Sorry if this sounds crazy but I feel like things are changing and I wanted to see if anybody else thinks so.
Displaying 21 to 30 of 584 posts
9/18/17 @ 7:03 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

And don't forget that even if the animal has "rotted" you still have to use your buck tag to legally take the antlers. Without an honest effort to recover the animal and its meat Its really no different than the poacher who shoots a buck out their car window who saws the antlers off and lets the deer lay. 

9/18/17 @ 6:15 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Spot on Lakeshiner, spot on..........

9/18/17 @ 10:59 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Lake shiner,  you wasted a lot of breathe.  you could have just said everyone is an idiot except me.  Below is how most feel.

I've been shooting the same bow for 10 years so it's like a crossbow,  I can pick it up and just shoot it.  it's like riding a bike.

I don't put in food plots cause I don't own land and if I did i wouldn't anyway,  just don't have the time.

I don't help the deer in the winter cause hunting is over and who thinks of deer again till august?

This is the real truth for most...stop trying to be high and mighty Lake shiner

9/15/17 @ 2:41 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Be real, all hunters are full of chit.  They all think they are right and everyone is wrong.  Every single person on this forum is guilty of that including myself.  Egos run rampant.  Actually that mentality is the one thing hunters have in common.  These are things I hear all the time when talking to people:

You'll have one guy who is against baiting because they'll say it spreads CWD.  Then he goes out and makes a mock scrape to pull deer into that one location to piss on the ground and rub/lick.  But they'll say that won't spread disease because only baiting does that....can't string a logical thought together.

The next guy plants a food plot but doesn't hunt on it.  By hunting away from it they are not baiting in deer to their property in their mind.  They've convinced themselves of this and you can't change their opinion with any  logical argument.  They'll say they do it because they care for the deer, not that they want to shoot one.  Apparently they would plant these food plots even if they didn't hunt because they are just good people...The real reason is that they are so scared of being labeled a baiter that they'll distance themselves as far as possible from that evil word.

The next guy will be against baiting but then will drop his mineral block in front of a camera illegally and say its okay.  Maybe he'll break the law and feed the deer in winter because he thinks its okay.  Can't convince them otherwise, but baiting is still bad...same reason as the previous one.

Crossbows are cheating says the guy with the $1000 compound hunting from an elevated stand overlooking his food plot in his new camo clothes, after looking at 100's of pictures of his deer to pick his stand of course.  You have to practice every day with that compound to shoot a deer...(I can pick mine up and hit the bullseye on the first shot after not touching it for 6 months from the previous season)...because they are so tough to shoot...

All hunters are stupid, it just depends on your viewpoint.  I'm sure I do stupid things too but from my viewpoint I don't LOL.  The biggest issue I actually see though is that hunters think everyone's situation or location is exactly the same.  That's a big reason people talk stupid in the first place, they don't think much about what they are saying other than how it affects themselves. 

9/14/17 @ 5:13 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Yeah,  that's a "Wisconsin 140",  a 2.5 year old 10 that goes 100-115.

Not worth explaining anymore GreatOutdoors,  putting more tonnage on the ground means more deer are feed better.   I think you explained it about as good as it can be explained.

The comment about others benefiting w o lifting finger is soooo true.  All the neighbors just love to get as close as possible too.  Then we hear from others,  all the deer are on so and so's.....I wonder why.  They'll stay too with hunters all around the borders on.  Deer aren't dumb either.  sit on a fence line that blows into my beans.  LOL.  good luck.

9/14/17 @ 5:00 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

"I highly doubt your age structure goals would stop you from sticking a 140" 2.5 year old."

Actually yes it would, there is no way on earth I would shoot a 2.5 year old that scores 140", same way I pass the 2.5 year olds that score about 100" or so. 

"Tell me your managing the property for wildlife and not bigger horns I'll you you're full of chit every time"

The habitat work being done is to maximize the biomass that the land will support.  I prefer wildlife rich to a desert.  Sure you'll get bigger horns, but you will have a ton of other benefits, including benefits to a lot of people who never lifted a finger or spent a dime.  Now, as for our harvest, we do have rules to protect younger bucks, just as we set quota's on antlerless every year to keep the population balanced. Also, in the evern ot predator issues we lay off the does and go after the predators. If all I cared about was big bucks, there are things I could change and do differently.   

9/14/17 @ 1:46 PM
yahay
User since 11/28/07

Deer have antlers, not horns by the way.  Cars have horns, sheep have horns, bull cows have horns.......... 

9/14/17 @ 12:22 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Hey PLH if you're hunting near the clearing you showed off west Ln you'll probably hear me fill my sawyer county doe tag 

9/14/17 @ 12:21 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

2.5 year old 140!  LMAO,  you are truly from Wisconsin.  Too much Kool Aide for you son.

9/14/17 @ 10:40 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I like GreatOutdoors. He's a common sense dude.  

Same as all the tournament fishing guys.  "the tourney guys are killing so many fish,  I see em floating here and there"....says the local retired guy that has a full freezer as well as well as filling up all his neighbors.  

Public Land hunter,  I'm not managing for horns.  I'm managing for age structure.  Something WI lacks dearly.  I can't change my soil composition,  I can't change genetics...I can change the food in the area to keep deer locally longer during light before they walk over 6 - 40 acre sections to get to the nearest food.  I will try and control the deer some what because I want bigger bucks and I want to kill the does that need to be killed.  I will continue to change the factors I can influence.  I can't change my neighbor,  I can't change the Ag fields,  I can't change the weather,  genetics and mineral content in the soil.

I can change location of food,  create more bedding and make my 200 acres as safe place for the deer to live w o being pressured.  I hunt my property about 6 times a year and 35 acres I haven't stepped on in 15 years,  not even in winter for sheds.  No one goes into it.  I manage my land,  I don't manage horns.

Call me a slob, call me what you want... Nothing was like this prior to me owning it.  It was a piece of land with nothing but trees and marsh.  Now it has 15 apple trees,  35 hybrid oaks,  14 acres of beans,  clover, oats and winter rye.  Now call me a lazy slob,  it will just make me happy.

Displaying 21 to 30 of 584 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE