SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Squirrel hunting

7/18/19 @ 9:56 AM
INITIAL POST
Lkittle97
User since 5/30/18

I'm going squirrel hunting this year with a friend of mine, I have a .177 air rifle, a .22 LR and a 12 gauge.  Which of these would you recommend using?  I also have a bow but am nowhere near accurate enough with it yet.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
10/4/19 @ 5:01 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I grew up as a boy in the country and had access to about 60 acres of oak and walnut woods.  I loved squirrel hunting.  I used a bolt action 22 rifle with shorts to keep the noise to a minimum.  I learned to move quietly and very slowly through the woods with my eyes and ears wide open.   I feel this made me an overall better hunter.  By learning how to not disturb the woods,  I became very aware of all the wildlife that occupied those same woods.  Using a 22 rifle with open sites on a squirrels head quickly improved my markmanship.  It made me learn to plan and pick my shots and make a good clean 1 shot kill.   Best was, if I cleaned the squirrels and cut them up, my mother slow simmered them with gravy.  Great on rice.

They were awesome. 

Shellfish

10/3/19 @ 12:28 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

.22LR with 40 grain LRN or CPLRN (CCI MiniMag, Federal 710, CCI Blazer, etc) works great for squirrels. As said, go for head shots, but the LRN is a little more forgiving if you miss the head and hit body. Hollow points outside of the head make a mess. LRN just like a .22 caliber hole and still kill the squirrel. I've also found the LRN to be more accurate in my rifles. 12 gauge is a bit much for squirrel, but if you must, use large shot (#4 lead or #2 steel) in the lightest load you can find. 20 gauge 7/8 oz. #4 is a great load for rabbits and squirrels. Plenty of pellets, but at 25 to 30 yards with a modified choke, there is still something left to eat! Still hunting or sitting in a grove of oak or hickory trees is still my favorite way to hunt bushy tails.

9/30/19 @ 11:56 AM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Agreed with the head shot only use the the rifle of your choice. If you are near homes I would use the .177 call, at close range of course they are very thick skind.

8/19/19 @ 12:01 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I’ve never specifically targeted squirrels but did tons of rabbit hunting growing up and would take an occasional squirrel here and there. I’ve always used a 20ga shotgun and it worked great on squirrels. A 12ga may be a little much. If I was going strictly for squirrels I’d go with the .177 or .22LR myself. Years back i annihilated a whole herd of squirrels with my crossman .177 that were destroying my neighbors garage. 

8/18/19 @ 11:57 AM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Haven't hunted squirrels in years, but when I did only hunted fox squirrels, use a very old Stevens "favorite" single shot, made my own hollow points, using 22 shots, quiet and deadly at 20 yards. Tried for head shots only. 

8/14/19 @ 6:20 AM
Bigsv
User since 2/18/08

Never used a shotgun for squirrels, always thought it would be too messy. My go to has always been a 22 LR sited in at fifty yards. I have a Leupold 3.5 X 10 and with a little practice, making head shots allows for minimal damage.

8/13/19 @ 1:55 PM
Mad Mike
User since 5/8/03

I use my 410 (with larger shot size) in early season.  I switch to a .22 when the leaves are mostly off of the trees and I am mostly sitting.

8/13/19 @ 12:05 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

22 or .177 and try for the head shot.  It's really fun plus the 22 and .177 doesn't scare everything away.  If you go shotgun I agree with prior poster use bigger shot like 4s.  if you use 6s or 7.5s you will have pellets everywhere.  A 4 will pass through a lot on a squirrel or rabbit plus there are less of them.  You don't need a ton of pellets to kill a squirrel.  I use a 410 for squirrel and rabbit with 4s a lot of the time but I don't think you need to buy a new gun based on what you already have.

8/13/19 @ 9:23 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

If I am walking I will use a shotgun.  12ga will work but a 410 would be ideal.  If I'm sitting then I'll use a .22

7/18/19 @ 10:54 AM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

I put out corn in my backyard , use my pop up blind and a thumper tip on my arrows great fun at 15yds ! My wife likes to put them in the slow cooker !

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE