SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Rifled slug through a rifled barrel?

12/29/14 @ 9:08 AM
INITIAL POST
DJH
User since 4/15/02
Does this cause damage to the gun? I know. Don't need a lecture. A bit under the gun here. Taking the boys out this afternoon. We borrowed two slug guns. One is smooth the other rifled. They were quickly patterned with rifled slugs. Both dead nutz. Upon giving them a quick cleaning yesterday, I realized the one had a rifled barrel. The two guns looked identical at first. Didn't look close enough. I need to work till noon, then was hoping to get them out. So the question is, will we cause any damage to the gun? I bought some sab rounds for it, I just don't know if I will have time before we go to zero in for the new rounds. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
12/30/14 @ 9:37 AM
DJH
User since 4/15/02
Thanx guys. Appreciate the info. All that rushing around yesterday and nothing was sighted.
12/30/14 @ 6:35 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09
Remington was so concerned about the rifled insert that they sent me a fully rifled barrel for free!Before that I also shot them thru a full choke with no problem,but accuracy was better with Mod. Choke.Just my experience in the past 40 years.
12/29/14 @ 7:16 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Grandad, You should take a look at the Remington site on slugs rifled barrels and choke tubes. There is no such warning, The only things its says is accuracy may suffer.... And if you think about it, there would be some pretty specific directions on the barrels and ammo. Now accuracy will probably suffer one way or another but how are they going to keep people from putting foster slugs down rifled slug barrels or those with choke tubes. Or folks putting sabot's down imp cylinder smooth bore tubes. What about the 1000's of slugs sent down full choke tubes. I would like to see the specific warning one way or another. I myself have a screw in rifled choke tube that will eat foster style slugs all day long on a browning BPS. The take away to the OP, is best do your own research with the firearm in question, Came back to add the link for you: http://support.remington.com/General_Information/What_choke_tubes_are_suggested_for_slugs%3F Good luck
12/29/14 @ 6:14 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09
Forester type slugs the ones with riffling on the Slug should NOT be used in Rifled barrels!I made the mistake with a rifled insert and the slug cracked the insert,also in fully rifled barrels some rounds were as much as two feet off at 50 yards.use these slugs in Smooth bore improved or mod. Cyl only!I sent the cracked insert and barrel back to Remington and that is what they told me.
12/29/14 @ 9:44 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
You won't cause any damage, you may lead up the rifling which may take some extra effort cleaning, I kind of doubt you'll be shooting to many rounds. Designed for sabot's but you already know that. rifled slugs at best rattle down the barrel anyway. If you put a light down the bore and did not notice much if any lead when you cleaned it, I would not spend much time worrying about it. good luck
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE