Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Post season scouting?

12/9/14 @ 12:12 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
OK the deer seasons behind us, you have a feel for what just happened, how many of you use the post season to do some scouting for next season. Now that I'm not worried about spooking deer, it seems like a great time to poke around and see where they've been hanging out during season, (obviously not where I was)!

How many of you diehards do the same thing? Has it helped? I've found some great stand locations for the following year.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/15/14 @ 8:10 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
I scout hard till the snow gets deep. When spring comes I scout harder. Lookin for sheds, new places, and old deer sign and try to find multiple years of deer sign like rubs. If ya find some new and old sheds in an area on a big chunk of public land you may be on to something. I enjoy scouting more than hunting and do about 5X more scouting than hunting. In the heavily hunted areas it is easy to tell if it got hunted hard last fall. New candy bar wrapper, beer, soda cans, hand warmers laying on the ground tell ya hunters were there........ And the mighty red gut glove is a dead giveaway someone got a deer there. WHy anyone would give that info to everyone who walks by is beyond me ,,, inbred slobs! Puke Oh well, if the sign looks good I will beat him to it early season bow! Big Smile

12/9/14 @ 12:53 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
yes your are correct, its the perfect time of the year to do some scouting for the following deer season. Especially if you have some fresh snow around. For the most part the woods will more than likely look the same the following season too, which can be quit different from early fall to winter. This is also a great time to check out additional areas you've thought about hunting but decided not to because you didnt know alot about the property. Looking to hunt public land? this is agreat time to scout that also, not only can you find deer tracks, but where others have really been walking around too. If your having trouble finding deer where you hunted this year, do yourself a big favor and get out now and start scouting for next year.

12/9/14 @ 12:52 PM
perchthriller
User since 7/14/09
Yes, but where I am at, there is snow on the ground that can complicate things by covering up sign from earlier in the year. However, the snow can help you figure out exactly where they are going at this time of year.

I prefer to scout early spring before green up, but I don't think you can go wrong scouting whenever you can.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.