LOGIN
Lake-Link

New Hunting Property Question

8/29/14 @ 8:57 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I recently bought a 40 for hunting. It is not currently in any Managed Forest Land program. It is bordered on three sides by MFL-Open properties as well as some public land. These bordering properties total nearly 800 acres that are open to the public. I know that the former owner of my 40 didn’t use it much for the last 5-10 years. There is plenty of evidence in the form of ladder stands, chairs and garbage that indicate that hunters have been using the property like it is a public parcel. I’m sure since there has been no one there policing the property, people have taken liberties using it. My son, a family friend and I are going to hunt this parcel this gun deer season and I want to make it clear to the those who have been using it that the 40 is now closed to the public. I’m not going to litter the boarders with “No Trespassing” signs but plan to put a few up on the old logging roads and trails at the property lines. I also plan to place a few politely worded notes on the chairs and ladder stands stating that the property is under new ownership. I then plan to remove the chairs and stands two weeks before the season opener if they are still there and will mention that in the notes. I will give every hunter that I see on the property the benefit of the doubt the first time that I talk to them but will make it clear that any future trespassing will result in a call to the Sheriff’s Dept. I believe that ignorance is no excuse when it comes to knowing where the open and closed property boarders are, especially since you can get the GPS coordinates right off of the DNR’s website. My main goal is to not piss off my new neighbors as I would like to develop positive relationships with them but want to make it very clear to all that my 40 is not open to the public except to retrieve a wounded animal.

Does this sound like a good approach? Too harsh? Too soft? What experiences have you all had?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 31 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/5/14 @ 1:49 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
Post it heavily, leave no doubt.

9/5/14 @ 11:22 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I won't be pulling any stands that are very near a property line unless I get it surveyed. So far I have only found one permanent stand near the east border. When I plot a line from the NE and SE coordinates on my GPS unit, it clearly shows that the stand is on my land. I did find one ladder stand that I plan to move to a different location. That stand is no where near the border so I'm not concerned with that one.

I have another question for those of you who have posted your land. A friend of my dad's told me that I have to have my name written on all of the signs that I post. I didn't put it on any of the signs because 1) WI trespass laws do not require signage and 2) I don't want a bunch of people contacting me asking to get permission. I did do an internet search and found a website that lists, by state, signage requirements. It did state that in WI, you have to put your name and whether you are the owner or legal occupant but it wasn't any official Gov't or DNR website. Is it true that my name needs to be on the signs?

9/4/14 @ 10:06 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
Pull the stands. Video tape the trespassers and turn them into the authorities. You will be amazed at how much better their reading abilities will be after a trespassing fine.

As far as posting goes, you don't have too. Knowing whether the land you hunt that you DON'T own is public or private is the responsibility of the hunter.

9/4/14 @ 11:25 AM
BAGGYD620
User since 12/14/05
I totally agree with sloshkosh, as someone who has been in the same position as you, post it heavily, or you will have visitors. I have a 60ac parcel that is surrounded by MFL on three sides and private on the south. The first year I owned it I only posted the corners. This piece was never in the MFL program, but owned by someone out of the area the never used the property. Opening weekend I was "visited" by 7 separate hunters, that all used the excuse, "Well I hunted here last fall." Amazingly they all missed the No Tresspass signs at the corners. I'd have a sign every 20 yards or so the first few years.

9/1/14 @ 7:52 AM
land man
User since 9/12/06
It most likely was marked by a forester. That is not a legal boundary marking. It is commonly used because it is cheaper, but a certified survey is the only way to truly know the boundaries.

8/31/14 @ 7:33 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Land man,

I used my GPS to find all 4 corner markers. The coordinates on the DNR website were pretty spot on. The one corner nearest the stand that's on the line is near a corner that is a corner of a section and marked with a steel post. There are trees on that property line that have large blue paint marks visible which I believe were from a cut on the neighboring property 5-10 years ago. Would those trees have been marked by a surveyor for the cut on the neighbor's land?

8/31/14 @ 3:52 PM
land man
User since 9/12/06
You also REALLY need to get the property surveyed. This will enable you to actually know which stands are on your property and which are not. This is additional $$$$, but it will benefit you also when you are logging it, so you don't get in trouble for logging over the line. Your GPS doesn't cut it for that and you could be liable for treble damages if you log over the line.

Then you will know exactly where to put the posted signs.

8/31/14 @ 2:42 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Thanks everyone for your comments. I went out there with my dad today and walked it with a forester and discussed management options for the property. We pulled two chairs out with us and posted signs at all of the obvious entrances to the property like the old logging roads. I'll post more on the property lines through this fall. I found a beautiful permanent wooden ladder stand which is near the property line but on our side according to my GPS. I expect to find people hunting in there this year as it's near the MFL Open property. I'll be back up on the weekend of the 13th and plan to spend some time out there clearing trails and exploring. I guess I'll find out how many people bow hunt it then.

I left (for now) a really nice ladder stand near where our easement enters the property. The forester who walked the property with us once owned my 40. He thinks that the stand may belong to one of the property owners on the west side who did have permission under the former owners. I'm going to give him the opportunity to remove it but if it's there two weeks before the gun opener, it's coming down and the BugleTrout will have a nice new stand.

Thanks again all!

1/16/14 @ 6:49 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
You need to post it very heavy. Growning up my family had property that was next to rocky run public and another piece that was surrounded on three sides by pine island. Ours was fenced and posted and it was a never ending job chasing people off. Bow season was the worst cuz its harder to spot people. We even went as far as putting fake people in stands. Just to deter people. Congrats on the purchase very happy for you.

1/15/14 @ 7:37 PM
land man
User since 9/12/06
My father and I bought a farm recently that had a "checkered" past as far as trespassing goes. We posted it heavily last year October and talked to all of the neighbors. We had one former squatter call. He got a little testy on the phone, but otherwise we had no problems at all. Lots of posted signs go a long way with the general public. Talk to all of the neighbors yourself before posting- you want to talk to them anyway just to get to know them and in case you track deer onto their property (a courtesy even though it is MFL-open).

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 31 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.