SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

MN Deer opener sat.

11/4/14 @ 12:10 PM
INITIAL POST
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
MN's deer opener is this saturday and there are reports of much fewer deer. Personally the area I hunt has very few deer after past harsh winters, wolves, and over harvest because of liberal regulations. Just wondering how your areas are looking, if your optimistic, or wondering if there's enough to even hunt. Weather is suppose to turn cold and windy for saturday.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 posts
11/18/14 @ 5:45 PM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
MN harvest through second Sunday of firearm season Hunters register 102,000 deer through second weekend Minnesota hunters registered 102,000 deer through the second weekend of firearms deer season, down 31,000 from the same period in 2013, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. So far this year, hunters during special hunts, and the archery and firearms seasons, have harvested 115,000 deer, down from the 2013 to-date harvest total of 147,500. “Comparing this year’s harvest to harvests in previous years doesn’t necessarily reflect hunter opportunity or the number of deer on the landscape in 2014,” said Leslie McInenly, DNR big game program leader. This year’s lower harvest is by design because regulations were implemented to place more deer – particularly does – off limits to increase Minnesota’s deer population. The DNR’s ongoing deer management work also includes upcoming revisions to the deer population goals for large portions of northeastern, north-central and east-central Minnesota. This is part of a multi-year goal-setting process for the entire state. People interested in helping set these deer population goals can get more information on the process and opportunities for involvement at www.mndnr.gov/deer. In much of Minnesota, the deer season concluded on Sunday, Nov. 16. Additional deer will be harvested during the northern rifle zone season, which continues through Sunday, Nov. 23; the late southeastern season, which runs Saturday, Nov. 22, through Sunday, Nov. 30; and the muzzleloader season, which begins Saturday, Nov. 29, and continues through Sunday, Dec. 14. The archery season also runs through Wednesday, Dec. 31.
11/18/14 @ 5:17 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Thanks much. I hope Wisconsin can be just as productive. Good luck
11/12/14 @ 12:13 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Drptine, just want to say congratulations on getting a nice buck, way to go!
11/12/14 @ 6:57 AM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
There is just a dusting of snow here. Deer movement slowing down but I filled my tag yesterday with a big bodied 10 pointer. No wolves seen. 4 bucks seen in four days.
MN Deer opener sat. photo by drptine
11/11/14 @ 12:46 PM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
No wolves in my neck of the woods(yet) thankfully. About 12" of snow on the ground now...should make things interesting for the rest of the season.
11/11/14 @ 12:32 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
More wolves then deer seen this weekend, sad.
11/11/14 @ 6:21 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Hey Droptine, how much snow is up there and are you still seeing deer?
11/10/14 @ 10:47 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
The buck made it onto private property where he was killed by a very nice dentist from North Dakota. I was happy for the guy and next time it will teach me to make a better shot. The deer was hit low in the front left shoulder and chest. He bled a great deal all the way to the point he was killed. Still have two more days left here before I have to head home.
11/10/14 @ 11:19 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
Did you get him???
11/9/14 @ 6:18 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
You just might get him Droptine. Hope ya do. I doubt he went far. Is there snow on the ground?
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE