MORE
General Hunting Discussion

MFL issues

11/13/15 @ 9:29 PM
INITIAL POST
Scott2
Scott2
User since 7/7/01
So, a friend and I have been trying very hard to contact a landowner in the MFL program. We have called him multiple times, left voicemails, even visited his house. I have gotten permission through looking at GIS maps and finding neighboring landowners and getting permission to cross private land into his MFL open land. We simply want to talk to this guy to see if we can hang stands or not and to avoid any conflicts with people that may already be hunting there. I guess what bothers me is that he is getting a tax break for leaving his land "open", when in all reality he is clearly avoiding anyone who attempts to gain access. I guess my issue is that selfish landowners are allowed to landlock their property in this program and there is no obligation to respond to anyone who inquires about the property. To add, the day we got permission from a bordering landowner, we bowhunted the property and some guy (not the landowner, as he was younger and the landowner is in his 70's) drove up on a 4 wheeler and when he saw my buddy he got on his phone and then proceeded to drive large circles around us until closing time. I'm not sure where that falls under hunter harassment laws on account of it being private land, but it still doesn't seem right.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
10/27/17 @ 4:27 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I agree to talk to the dnr about finding the access point.  You don't have to ask permission to go on MFL Open.  Just go in there once you find the proper access.  This guy is paying virtually no taxes so allowing people to hunt isn't his choice.  If he didn't want anybody to hunt his "private" land he should pay up like the rest of us.

10/26/17 @ 9:27 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

From what I understand, corner hoping is trespassing.

10/26/17 @ 8:04 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Also, does anyone know if corner hopping is illegal in Wisconsin?

10/26/17 @ 7:38 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Had a nice little chat with a FCL land owner today. Out of courtesy I decided to stop by and let him know that I intended to check out a forty of his enrolled in the program and ask how to access additional 300 acres of landlocked parcels, which he is required by the law to do. I came equipped with the FCL enrollment map, a parcel map from the county GIS, and an official survey map I found on the county website; all three of which clearly showed a town road bordering the NW corner for about 75 feet. I was told those maps are wrong and the road does not touch the property in question. When asked about accessing his remaining 300 landlocked acres, I was told it was all private land and I can't go in there. It's where his family hunts. I also came equipped with the FAQ sheet from the dnr site and a copy of the NR administrative code explicitly spelling out the requirement that he is to provide access when there is no public road or public land bordering the property. I was told that doesn't matter it is surrounded by private land and there's no way in there. Thank you for your time and away I went. I'm probably going to report this one but I'd hate to invite the conflict should I ever just go in there from the road. It's just appalling the lengths that people go to avoid letting people on there, going so far as to lying right to your face.   They have to know the law and what's required of them right? Must just hope no one out there does there homework. 

4/17/16 @ 9:36 AM
land man
User since 9/12/06
JJB- I have some listed that you can buy. One has some nice hardwoods in the back that you can enroll in MFL and productive fields in the front. The rent from the fields would pay the taxes (without mfl enrollment) and give you a 2% return on investment. NE Marathon county- 80 acres for $237,000.
11/26/15 @ 7:39 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Good for you Scott2
11/26/15 @ 12:55 AM
Scott2
Scott2
User since 7/7/01
Otter, you are correct, we however didn't run into any issues opening morning, although we only sat til 8;30 on account of me being incredibly sick. My wife and I didn't see anything, but my friend shot a 6 pointer. So it wasn't a total waste of time. I was happy to leave though aside of being sick, as all I could do was sit there and worry about what may happen with those guys the longer we were out there. I have tried to contact the forester, but thus far have gotten no response. His brother Edward isn't a bad guy regarding the Kaminski's, he's the one who let us cross his land and was the nicest guy you'd ever hope to meet, though even he seemed afraid to talk to his brother. If the forester won't do something, I'll find the proper channels and make sure this behavior is ended.
11/25/15 @ 11:31 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07
I had a good experience. Called the guy up in September, told him I wanted to hunt his property and asked if he or anyone else hunted it. He told me where they hunted and where another guy hunted and I went to a spot where they were not. Got an 8pter opening day and called him to thank him for enrolling his land in the program and of my success. He said I was welcome back any time. I must be the only guy on LL who isn't all pissed off this season Big Smile
11/25/15 @ 10:32 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
And,,, Landman, what do you think of this family that he speaks? ?
11/19/15 @ 5:25 PM
land man
User since 9/12/06
Scott2- Be certain to push it with the forester. I went to Rosholt High School and know of the family and land of which you speak.
11/19/15 @ 4:11 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Fair enough. But I wouldn't consider it a waste of time since we established that we can access an additional 120 acres of good hunting land. We have hunted it a few times after opening weekend and taken a couple of deer off the parcel through the years. But I guess I made it seem like we only did it to screw with the landowner. Only partially.
11/19/15 @ 1:50 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Agree with you loon, We had the same deal as you many years ago. Everyone in the neighborhood had an agreement that no one had to contact a landowner to retrieve a wounded deer and we commonly did deer drives on each other's land during the week when we knew the owners weren't hunting it. We of course still cleared it with the landowner out of respect. Everyone cooperated and respected each other's land and hunt. Once many of the properties were either sold or left to the next generation, that all ended. A few of the old timers in our camp were close friends with the father of the jackwagon that I mention below. Too bad he's nothing like his father. My family bought a 40 last year. It's not in any management program and I plan to keep it that way as long as the taxes stay reasonable. I don't care to have the public hunting or the DNR managing the property. I've been working with my own private forester for wildlife habitat improvement.
11/19/15 @ 1:25 PM
Laughing Loon
Laughing Loon
User since 4/28/08
Ah, deer hunting sure brings out the best in people! Many years ago, my family had free range on property for miles, and neighbors were welcome to hunt our land. Then it started. Neighbors would ask us not to hunt their land on opening weekend. Sure, no problem. Then some said, we weren't welcome to hunt theirs, at all, and they would not hunt ours. About 1970, I remember my Dad saying, "Boys, there will come a day, where we will only be able to hunt our own land", and we started buying up any adjacent land that came up for sale. As my Father predicted, for a quality deer hunting experience, one has to own the land, and be willing to keep it out of public access forestry management programs. Sad place we all have come to be in. LL
11/19/15 @ 1:10 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I've found that they will just say a lot of people hunt it to scare you away. I would never believe that story until I saw it myself. Many times there might be a lot of gun hunters but few bow hunters for instance. Cheating the system is cheating the system. Don't like it, pay up and get out of it.
11/19/15 @ 12:56 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Pike, we did that during the gun deer season. I usually take the week off so yes, I did have plenty of time on my hands. Does the behavior of messing with someone who is abusing a system for financial gain offend you?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE