SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Looking at land in North Central wi

1/17/22 @ 1:23 PM
INITIAL POST
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Looking for input on deer numbers/ deer sighting in the Rib lake area.. looking to buy by I don't know the area.. I hunt the thorp area ..nice area but I have a chance to buy my own place..Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
10/7/22 @ 7:25 AM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

I did pick up a a little more then 30 in southern Price county..Lots of work done on it this summer.. Bridge's to get to high ground, north south and east west paths cut in, small shooting box for the wife and a small food plot put in.. Lots of deer on camera.. Very impressed with the herd numbers in the area.. Looking forward to the hunting season..

10/6/22 @ 8:52 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22

I hunt in the south west corner of Taylor county

Last year I saw and heard deer coughing. Pretty strange 

Was wondering  if that was cwd

Price county has lots of deer south of phillips but when I was there they were herded up in march

4/26/22 @ 11:41 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Rattle: Add to that Taylor County is now a CWD Zone thanks to the deer farm on 73 outside of Gilman!  

4/22/22 @ 2:27 PM
Rattle em up
User since 4/19/21

If you look at the CDAC public input for Taylor county it says what most are telling you here. They can't even sell all the antlerless tags because the deer are not there and/or some hunters are realizing that shooting more does isn't going to help the future hunting. Probably won't be changing anytime soon. 

Fishing is good and nice people.

4/21/22 @ 11:23 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Thank you for the input.. Have spent the the last 2 seasons in the Gilman area.. Nice area fair amount of deer all private land and prices are climbing..Was looking in the Ladysmith area but Minnesota money starting to drive up prices also.. South of hwy 29 Clark county property climbing fast.. The dream of buying land is getting hard trying to stay out of debt for 30 years..

4/21/22 @ 9:13 PM
Bucktown
User since 8/5/16

That area is no mans land for deer.  Go NE to the farmland around Brantwood, West to the Ruby area or SE to the Taylor/Marathon County line.  Good quality and numbers in all those areas.

4/20/22 @ 10:27 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Quality of deer is poor in that area, but at least the deer numbers are under control ;o)  I hunt the area frequently, and some private land parcels can be fairly good.  Public land, like everywhere else in the state, is overharvested or the deer have been eaten by wolves.  The area used to be much better, but the past 15 years or so it has tanked astronomically.  

4/19/22 @ 9:27 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Ogma Looking at some land in this area..Pros and Con to the area? Looking forward to any and all input.. 

1/19/22 @ 10:08 AM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Splitg2... Send you a message...

1/18/22 @ 2:59 PM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

HFcrappie, I sent you a PM

1/18/22 @ 2:49 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Yes sir... my brother has a place by Gilmen... Looking at that area also..I like the area nice bucks and a good number of deer... Thanks for the info..

1/18/22 @ 1:00 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

I have a place 25 minutes North of Thorp in Jump River.  LOTS of land for sale in the area and LOTS of public land too.  

1/17/22 @ 3:41 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

I have two younger kids like for them to see and harvest a few deer... I grew up hunting trempuleau county ... As for big bucks... I just want to see my boys hunt and love it as much as I do .. It's will be their future hunting land... Thanks 

1/17/22 @ 3:01 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

my b.i.l. and a few friends have a place up there. I been going up there since like 1978. although I dont go up there deer hunting they have a crew that does. They dont have there own privet land to hunt but there is alot of public land up there. They have good years and bad years. last year was not so good. I do love the area thats for sure. plenty of lakes to try, 4 wheeler trails. and from what I hear there aint alot of hunters at least were these guys hunt. also the people around there are nice if you treat them right. I was looking at land around the area but in recent years the prices went nuts. nice area.

1/17/22 @ 3:00 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

I think it depends on your expectations of what size bucks you want to harvest if that is your main purpose. Lots of deer on private property so if you are planning on hunting exclusive private its ok hunting for venison. Public land is hunted hard by all. Reasonably priced land but not for the trophy hunter. Good luck.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE