LOGIN
Lake-Link

Hunting Rituals

11/15/15 @ 1:33 PM
ORIGNAL POST
IZZY Outdoors
IZZY Outdoors
User since 4/24/08
Just starting a new thread to see what kinds of things people do the week before gun season starts to get you pumped up and ready for the opener. For me I go through all my hunting stuff and clean everything and make it look new. I also go out and clean my truck top to bottom. And for that whole week I watch public hunting videos everyday.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/20/15 @ 9:25 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07
I walk around the whole cabin right before I get in the truck and say a prayer to the BIG buck God's while touching the antler from each one of the mounts on the wall. Best of luck all!

11/19/15 @ 8:19 PM
roofer
User since 6/6/04
I still use a buck 102 that I bought in 1976 when I got out of the U S NAVAL AIR. I should have not tried to "sharpen" it on a bench grinder. Still a great knife.

11/19/15 @ 8:58 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
Yeah, my son has one of those, doesn't know it yet, as I think at age 9 he isn't ready for that. Especially due to the fact sharpening knives is sort of a hobby and mine are usually scalpel sharp. He's excited seeing me hopefully get one this season but also getting his first deer next year.

11/19/15 @ 8:41 AM
land man
User since 9/12/06
My son (15 years old) is excited about having his first "real" knife. A buck 110, so he can gut his own deer.

11/19/15 @ 7:11 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
Thanks Roofer.

Made the pheasants yesterday, just got the venison roast started. Need to do some house stuff today then get it all together. My son is some kind of excited even though he doesn't come up until Tuesday. Gave him a mag light last night and a Browning blaze orange baseball cap. Made his day!

11/18/15 @ 9:24 PM
roofer
User since 6/6/04
I agree IGOR, we have a 40 on the north fork of Jump River by KENNAN/CATAWBA. The hunting gang getting together means as much as the deer. We keep a log book and photo album of all year, deer, grouse, or fish, time, weather etc. We also keep the last year of the back tag of the old guy that didn't make it back and they hang on the wall above the cribbage table. My dad and best bud are there, I'm next oldest but ain't gonna hang with'em for a long time, two grand kids need advise and corrupting. Gotta love the cabin. GOOD LUCK with your forty in Gods country.

11/18/15 @ 9:09 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11
Make homemade bread for sandwiches, and a roast in the slow cooker. Always a wild game roast, have made deer, elk, moose(excellent),and bear. This year deer roast. We sit all day opening weekend so lunch is a high light. The rest of the season we hit the Dairy Bar in town. Have hunted the same land north of White lake since I was 15 and now am 63,lot of years and story's.

11/18/15 @ 5:31 PM
musky1011
User since 7/4/05
Hunting is that annoying time between sleeping and drinking...LOL

11/18/15 @ 6:58 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
Starts with getting all of the orange hanging on the porch to air out; next comes wrapping it all up with pine boughs.

Today begins cooking. I make a neck roast in the slow cooker with a recipe from LL back around '01 that was given to me. That's for Friday. Also making 4 pheasants with wild rice for Monday's dinner in the slow cooker. Make that ahead to save time and dishes!

Then obviously comes the "Ceremonial Loading of the Truck" or as she calls it, "Take everything you have pertaining to hunting and load it up..." Thursday night.

Then it's get up 4:30 Friday morning and head to Eagle River to hunt with an old Platteville buddy. Once up there, set stands, check cameras, unload, have a few cold ones, and wait for some friends to arrive around 3:00 for a good ol' BS session! I stay there until Tuesday morning. From there things will be different this year.

This season is going to be special for me. Normally I would go to Monroe Center and hunt the rest of the week (hunted there since '79) but in '13 we bought a 40 in Jump River, WI so I'll be heading to host my first camp with 3 buddies who hunt elsewhere for the opener. To make it even more special, my 9 year-old son is coming up the 2nd weekend for his 1st deer camp. To say he is bouncing off the walls is an understatement.

I just want to add one thing here: Those of you with older members who may be in failing health, cherish every minute with them in camp and take all the photos you can. Never know when their last season will be. Lost my mentor, A.K.A. "The Professor" in '09 and not a day goes by during the season that I don't think about him. Lots of photos from over the years at his cottage in Monroe Center but they still can't take the place! Learned a lot from him about how to run a camp and just hope I can make him proud running my place.

Drive and hunt safe everyone. Remember, there's more to the season than just taking a deer....

11/16/15 @ 4:31 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
Every year on Friday afternoon we hit up the local bars and enter the big buck contests. Then on Friday evening we go to a gun raffle.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.