Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Habitat Projects

10/14/15 @ 8:46 AM
ORIGNAL POST
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
Just wanted to start a thread similar to the Food Plots thread where people can discuss habitat projects and ask advice of others. Our camp has been doing food plots for about 15 years now, but just started getting active with habitat projects the last few years here and ramping it up. So, lets here what people have going on.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 154 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/16/17 @ 9:31 AM
bluefin16
User since 1/9/08

Habitat talk is correct.  pretty good site! Check it out

3/16/17 @ 9:04 AM
3boys
User since 4/18/09

Morning Bluefin, is the site called "habitat talk.com" Im interested to find it. Thank you for any more info. Have a great day.

3/16/17 @ 4:54 AM
bluefin16
User since 1/9/08

You guys should check out a site called habitat talk. Pretty good site .good info 

3/15/17 @ 3:20 AM
3boys
User since 4/18/09

I agree, although the warm spell the last few weeks allowed me to cut a lot of buckthorn down and clean up some last remaining tires and garbage. Funny though the deer don't seem to care about it, but seems I'm seeing more deer on the property since I started restoration of the property. In all seriousness though guys, the up/down weather pattern of last month and a half does have a up side. It's killing a lot of bugs/ticks. Got a little warm, they came out and bam the cold knocked them back, and repeated a couple times. Ticks can severely effect fawn development and effect adult deer health. Recent studies have shown this is actually getting worse. Hate to open a can of worms but even having small carnivores can help break the larval nymph and sub adult/ mouse connection cycle of ticks by preying on mice. Don't trap or shoot all your carnivores, they're the ones eating the tick Infested mice. Chin up guys, winter won't last forever.

3/14/17 @ 6:47 PM
bluefin16
User since 1/9/08

well this weather is a kick in the nuts! i was hoping to get a start on my feilds this weekend!!  Guess not.

3/8/17 @ 12:45 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Just did some hinge cutting for the 1st time.  Did not do a lot.  Want to see if how I am doing it works prior to cutting more trees. 

3/6/17 @ 11:13 AM
bluefin16
User since 1/9/08

I will look into that. Thanks for the info Badger.

3/6/17 @ 8:01 AM
badgerfowl1
User since 10/1/12

I'd shy away from plastic tubes around the trunks, at least with apple trees. Window screen allows better airflow than tubes. Also keeps out insects better, borers/etc. 

3/5/17 @ 6:14 AM
bluefin16
User since 1/9/08

i was thinking of using the plastic drainage tubes around the trunks. wasnt thinking about the rabbits though!

3/4/17 @ 9:22 PM
badgerfowl1
User since 10/1/12

For apples take 36" aluminum window screen and wrap it around the trunk and staple it shut using a desktop stapler. Bury the screen a little if you can. Mice/rabbit problem solved. 

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 154 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.