LOGIN
Lake-Link

Game camera - battery life

12/11/14 @ 11:48 PM
ORIGNAL POST
STEVE L
STEVE L
User since 4/19/02
Hey all, I hope to buy 2 or 3 cameras soon in the sub-$100 range and wonder who if anyone uses rechargable batteries and if you care to comment on experiences with them.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/1/15 @ 3:20 PM
buckhound
buckhound
User since 4/18/06
I use 3 different cameras, the newest uses aa batteries. New regular duracells last impressively long, like months. I experimented with rechargables ahd feel that it not worth the monkeying around as they do not hold a charge anywhere near as long.

1/26/15 @ 11:11 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Li Ion is a good way to go. If you compare battery life, Li Ion is much cheaper than any alkaline battery for use in game cameras. When the weather gets cold, the Li Ions hold their charge when the alkalines die in short order. They are more expensive per battery obviously, but you have to keep in mind how many more pictures you get out of them.

To the comment about rechargeables not being recommended by camera manufacturers, I don't believe that to be the case entirely. Many manufacturers market solar rechargeable add ons for their cameras.

1/24/15 @ 7:36 PM
STEVE L
STEVE L
User since 4/19/02
Still waiting for more info and doing more research before I actually buy cams. Looks like lithium-ions are the way to go from what I've so far. Thanks for all the input.

1/24/15 @ 6:47 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
to many pictures to count i have had cameras over 1000 pictures ever 3 weeks. some less the battery life is amazing on them.

1/15/15 @ 8:14 AM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
"im going on 3 seasons now on my spypoints first batteries i put in. im just putty regular double As in"

Wow...how many pics would you say you've gotten in that time period? I get a legitimate 11 months out of a set of Duracell or Energizer AA's in my Trophy Cams and Scoutguard and I thought that was impressive (especially here in central MN)

1/15/15 @ 7:28 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Almost all manufaturers recommend against using rechargable batteries. I use regular duracell and have had great results. I would not fool around with rechargables.

1/14/15 @ 9:49 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
im going on 3 seasons now on my spypoints first batteries i put in. im just putty regular double As in

1/6/15 @ 12:00 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04
I just installed a smoke detector with a lithium battery that will last for ten years. Small rechargable lithiums are the best thing for regular cameras ,why not game cameras? First there were Ni-cads that were slow to charge and lost power just sitting in a drawer. Nickel hydrates come fully charged (Rayovacs)and stay that way even if left unused (like in a cam with no traffic). The only problem is they can't take a charge that comes up to the same voltage as regular alkalines (1.2v. vs. 1.5v). For cameras that may not be a big problem. Lithium is great but costs too much right now. NiMh rechargable batteries are good too and save money in the long run, but seem better for steady use electronics. Quality alkaline AA's still seem to be a bargain for something that is going to be sitting in the woods for any length of time.

12/12/14 @ 6:17 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Just looked into it.They promise to put out 2600ma. That is 30% more than my Eneloops. I wouldn't recomend Eneloops or their chargers that came with them since the chargers are only charging to 75%. Companies do that so they can advertise 1500 charges. I would be happy with 200 charges and a 2800ma. Now if we can get rechargable Lithium batteries.

12/12/14 @ 6:06 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Willfish4food, do you know how many MA those AA batteries put out. I use Eneloop batteries and they have lasted a long time but when I put them in the cam they say 75-86% full for battery life. The cheap Rayovacs say 94%. It might be my charger though but the Eneloops are 2000 ma . and that isn't a whole lot.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.