SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Forest County Deer Hunting

11/11/01 @ 5:18 PM
INITIAL POST
Pat
User since 6/15/01
Does anyone else hunt Forest county north of Crandon? I have hunted this area for 40 years and there are very few other hunters. Most years I don't see another boot track in the snow the whole season. These deer are really dying of old age in alot of these areas. I manage to get a buck most every year. Pat

Displaying 31 to 40 of 703 posts
11/27/19 @ 4:56 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

About a dozen hunters in camp and not all dedicated hunters. Deer sightings down from last year. Shots heard opening weekend almost non-existent. Our group broke camp Tuesday morning with the heavy snow predicted. one spike and a nice big bodied 10. Sounds like we did better than most groups in the area with another group we know going 1-15 with a small 3 pointer and two groups of similar sizes skunked...........

11/7/19 @ 7:13 AM
j/b/icehouse
User since 1/3/15

Scouted the area last weekend saw a few scrapes and rubs Seen a few deer and couple grouse , alvin/hiles area hoping bucks will still be rutting with the late season this year....

11/6/19 @ 11:55 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Last week I took a 3 hr. walk in the National Forest in the Laona area where we have shot many deer over the years and it doesn't look good. Only crossed 3  tracks and 1 bed in the fresh snow, no scrapes or rubs. Back in the days when there were deer up there there would be trails like cow paths and scrapes and rubs all over. The most deer sign I seen was a couple piles of wolf crap full of deer hair. Seems to be deer close to cabins and town but back in the big woods the deer are pretty sparse.

11/5/19 @ 1:01 PM
Huck 34
PRO MEMBER User since 12/26/02

Was up for a long weekend with two others and there were not many deer moving. The does that were seen were still grouped with fawns. Hoping its getting ready to heat up! Anyone else experiencing the same? Always seems like a later rut in Northern Forest County!

Huck

11/4/19 @ 11:32 AM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

I hunted Forest cty, Hiles area Saturday morning and evening, saw jack and sheet. I did see a couple of scrapes that were made within the week as they weren't there the previous weekend. Will be up Tuesday night thru Sunday. 

11/4/19 @ 9:57 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

Its November 4th and this thread is dead.  Who has been out?  Im headed back up for the gun opener this year.  Probably will hunt Saturday and go from there.  This year will have a son in tow.  Hope to see some deer.  Been a tough decade or so.  LOL. Hunt out of Carter and the wolf sightings are up on cameras.  Still a few deer around but nothing like the stretch from when I started hunting in 1990-2008.  

10/6/19 @ 11:06 AM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Deer hunting in Forest County has changed a lot over the last 10 years or so and most of the changes are not for the better. I have deer hunted in the Laona area for over 50 years and we used to shoot a lot of deer in the National Forest. Last 5 years we have only shot one buck on Public land. Areas where I could find 20 scrapes and rubs now you are lucky to find any tracks. About the only thing good is there are less hunters. Luckily we got smart and bought our own land where we can see deer and still shoot a few. For the most part the woods are too mature and there are too many predators on public land but if you can find areas where there has been logging you can find some deer but that's where all the hunters are too. 

9/25/19 @ 12:29 PM
Fox4Life
User since 5/4/09

Hi Guys:

Wanted to see if I could bend some ears and get back up to speed on Forest County Deer Hunting.  I haven't deer hunted the area in a lot of years, we used to hunt by the boy scout camp out of wabeno/laona, but our area has all changed with new logging roads and activity.  I'd love to get back up for rifle/muzzleloader season, but don't even know where to begin.  Saw 12 doe grouse hunting up there last year, so i'm hopeful the deer population is back. Matt

3/26/19 @ 8:53 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Still a good 2 ft. of snow on the level in the woods, some cold mornings the crust is hard enough for a person to walk on. Took quite a few snowmobile rides around the county this winter and seen very little deer sign for the most part except for around cabins and some sign around a few swamps. Swamps where years ago when they were yarded like this year there would be trails like cow paths, now there are hardly any tracks at all. Last few winters we also seen a lot of wolf sign on the trails but didn't see much wolf sign at all this winter. Guess the wolves aren't going to hang around if there are no deer to eat!!

2/19/19 @ 11:02 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

I will say I was shocked with the snow depths when I was up this past weekend.  Took the sled out on a few lakes and would have been buried and stuck without gunning it.  Riding around in the forest, the deer are heavy in the cedar swamps.  I saw paths 3 feet wide going in and out.  The deer know how to survive.  Tough winter in terms of the severity index.  No doubt this is not a step forward for the population.  I do believe it was on the rise in So Forest County going into the winter.  On a positive note, winter did start late.  Hope it ends early as well.  -WW   

Displaying 31 to 40 of 703 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE