Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Forest County Deer Hunting

11/11/01 @ 4:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pat
USER SINCE 6/15/01
Does anyone else hunt Forest county north of Crandon? I have hunted this area for 40 years and there are very few other hunters. Most years I don't see another boot track in the snow the whole season. These deer are really dying of old age in alot of these areas. I manage to get a buck most every year. Pat

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 712 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/16/21 @ 6:58 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Maybe good for deer. freeze thaw cycles are bad on grouse as they need that fluffy snow to give them cover and warmth

12/16/21 @ 1:11 PM
yamatroller
USER SINCE 5/7/06

What had started out as a real bad winter for the deer took a turn for the better overnight. Snow went from almost 18" to about 8" overnight. Bad for snowmobiling but good for the deer!! Don't know if I ever remember snow melting that fast!!

11/30/21 @ 9:52 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER SINCE 8/23/01

Had an encouraging season in Forest County.  I hunted Friday through Monday (muzzleloading).  The deer sightings have been bad for a long time.  While we were shut out Friday and Saturday, we tried a new spot the last day of the season and saw 8 deer.  Monday I saw 5.  Deer were feeding on acorns and beach nuts. Passed a couple small bucks.  We filled our tags down south.  Very encouraging. Hoping for a normal winter with not a ton of snow.  

11/29/21 @ 6:37 PM
Dukers
Dukers
USER SINCE 6/30/21

We lease 200 acres just east of Crandon with 3 hunters using it. We luckily have a very nice population of deer. We took 2 bucks during bow season and 2 during gun. We still have 1 doe tag and buck archery tag that my wife and I are going to try and fill this weekend with bows. I know a lot of people don't see a lot of deer in Forest County, but we have a very nice population. This is our first year hunting this property and consider ourselves very lucky. My wife shot her very first deer last Sunday. I was so happy for her. She can't get enough of deer hunting. She even subscribed to Deer and Deer Hunting magazine.

11/29/21 @ 12:10 PM
huntfish
USER SINCE 6/16/03

Hunted Southern Forest last Saturday as I heard they got snow.  Found a trail with fresh tracks after about a mile in, but no dice.  Heard 2 shots in the distance.

11/19/21 @ 8:50 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER SINCE 8/23/01

Good luck to the Forest County hunters this season.  I have hunted forest county for 30 years!  Usually only 2nd weekend now and a little muzzleloading.  Kids sports keep me around home and hunting on our land.  Im interested to hear the reports of deer numbers seen etc.  Mild winter last year.  Wolves are still heavy where there are pockets of deer.  

Stay safe and get a big one!

-WW

4/22/20 @ 11:25 AM
JigRod
USER SINCE 11/16/01

Thanks for the link rikj, that's a great look at past winters. And certainly shows the winter of 13-14 was nasty. I thought going off of memory 14-15 would have looked worse than the chart showed but i turned 50 this week and my memory isn't what it used to be, LOL.

I believe severe cold has more to do with deer mortality than snow. The severity of 18-19 winter was primarily due to the deep snow which for the most part all came mid Feb thru March. I was up every weekend that winter and we were easily driving vehicles on the lakes till mid Feb. I saw enough deer in March of '19 that had no interest in getting in to the deep snow in the woods but by that time they didn't have severe cold to deal with.

This past winter 19-20 we got most all of our snow up there from Thanksgiving to mid Jan and in my opinion the cold never really showed up. My place is on a gravel fireroad that doubles as a snowmobile trail. I swear the frost was out of the ground by early April and this road is usually a mess thru the end of April. Jigrod.

4/21/20 @ 8:17 PM
rikj
rikj
USER SINCE 7/29/01

Jigrod, last year(18-19) the winter severity index in Crandon was 81. Anything over 80 is rated severe. Lots of roof/dwelling damage from heavy snow. I do agree on the lack of deer and I have been hunting forest county since 1970. Two winters in a row 95 and 96 had horrible winters and the deer population was still higher than it is now..........Glad they stopped the doe hunting.....

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/reports/severity2.pdf

4/21/20 @ 6:21 AM
JigRod
USER SINCE 11/16/01

I agree that many youth doe tags are filled by family members. Take the kids turkey hunting and leave the does alone for a few years. We really haven't had a rough winter up here for 5 years. I'm a little surprised the deer population hasn't improved at all, at least where I'm at (Hiles).

I saw more deer the fall of 2013 deer hunting then in any season since. The winters of 2013/14 and 2014/15 were brutal. I don't think the deer have recovered.

4/20/20 @ 8:07 PM
yamatroller
USER SINCE 5/7/06

The Biologist wanted 300 antlerless permits plus all youth license's holders could shoot their doe also, but the CDAC voted to only let the youth hunters shoot a doe but to have a 0 quota for does for the rest of the hunters . Trouble is everyone knows half the youth doe permits filled are shot by an adult.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 712 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.