Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

food plot plow question

4/25/21 @ 8:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mr.wally
USER SINCE 4/16/04

Recently bought deer hunting land. Looking to use my ATV to plow and seed for food plots. Is there a tow-behind option out there and if so, what would be a good recommendation? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/3/21 @ 8:45 PM
zeplure
zeplure
MEMBER SINCE 2/11/02

you may want to look at a spring tooth also to create some seams. It helps the disc work a lot faster. also I second the cut and kill it will make everything easier. I also second getting a local in there for the initial turn over. I burnt out a few atv's over the years.

5/3/21 @ 4:06 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

mr.wally, gly is short for glyphosate a broadleaf weed and grass killer. It is an ingredient in Roundup. 

5/3/21 @ 3:46 PM
mr.wally
USER SINCE 4/16/04

Don't know what gly is did a search on it and found nothing. Is there another name or product out there.

5/3/21 @ 11:32 AM
Thump55
USER SINCE 7/19/04

I would agree that 4 acres with an ATV would be brutal, but depends a lot on soil. If it's not a sandier soil, it will be tough. Definitely cut, kill, and cut again as short as possible.

Either way, if your ATV is like mine, bring ice packs to keep your inner thighs cool and a buddy that doesn't mind pulling weeds off the disc every lap. 

My plot is one acre. I started with a lawn tractor to cut, tow sprayer, and pull a tow-behind 3' tiller. I used the ATV only for pulling finishing drag before and after seeding. I have since upgraded to a tractor with 5' tiller, but I wouldn't want to use that for 4 acres...it works excellent but pretty slow. Good luck.

4/30/21 @ 10:07 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER SINCE 12/19/10

Depending on what you get for a disc you may need to add some weight to it to keep it from bouncing and to dig in. Going slower is better than faster as well when discing. Be sure to spray it with gly a couple times to kill everything beforehand. It’s even harder discing through green vegetation. If the grass is long I’ll either mow it or weed whack it down first then spray gly give it a week or 2 spray it again then give it another week then start tilling/discing. It’s a learning curve for sure. 

4/29/21 @ 7:28 PM
mr.wally
USER SINCE 4/16/04

Thanks for the feedback guys. I learned a lot, now I just have to find a disc to get things rolling.

4/28/21 @ 8:23 AM
haf2fsh
MEMBER SINCE 6/23/01

First year we attempted to do 2 acres with ATV and small disc, that didn't go well. Grandson's friend came over with old WD 45 plow & disc was much easier. We now have a small disc and drag, haul a Farmall Cub over a couple hours were ready to plant ATV does the light work. Its a lot bigger project than you might think !!

4/28/21 @ 5:50 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER SINCE 12/19/10

Yeah u may be in for a rude awakening attempting 4 acres of new ground with an atv. Just speaking from experience here. A tow behind disc will probably be your best bet but it’s gonna take a lot of time and as stated it’s pretty rough on an atv. My first year I hired a guy with a tractor to plough, disc and till my 1.5 acre plot. He charged me $300.  I invested in an old tractor to break the ground in the beginning of the year then I disc with the atv, that works pretty good. 

4/27/21 @ 6:03 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

What is the soil like? Are the areas open and ready to be worked or is it forest/brush? There’s plenty of flip over disc harrows out there. I believe kolpin and king-kutter both make a 48” disc. I have a sportsman 570 and I also have the black boar hydraulic implement lift with chisel plows, landscape rake and cultipacker. I tore my atv up (busted suspension support stabilizer) using the chisel plows but my property is heavy clay and the areas I was working were full of roots/stumps etc. atvs are just not made for dirt work honestly. If you have lighter sandy loam soil then you might be ok. The only thing I’m using my atv for now is spraying, pulling a drag harrow and cultipacking. 

4/27/21 @ 4:29 PM
mr.wally
USER SINCE 4/16/04

Looking to do 2 plots about 2 acres each. I have a sportsman 570.    Thanks!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Keep your beverages nice and cood with double-walled vacuum insulation from Grizzly. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Drinkware
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.