LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 10:56 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 134 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/11/22 @ 7:28 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

I would get on the spraying of 2-4D/gly combo within a couple weeks and follow it up with a glyphosate spraying mid to late June. Possibly a 3rd spraying of just gly at planting time depending on how it looks. The following is what I’ve been using on newly established plots with good success. I have a 15 gallon atv sprayer and I can cover roughly 1 acre per tank.

1st spraying- 1 pint/acre 2-4D and 2 quarts/acre glyphosate

2nd spraying- 2 quarts/acre glyphosate

3rd spraying if needed- 1 quart/acre glyphosate at planting time if green weeds are still present. 

5/11/22 @ 11:43 AM
clubstrump
USER SINCE 4/17/18

1st year food plotter here. Was fortunate  enough to buy a 80 with a cleared area already present. Did a soil test, applied 3200# pelletized lime to area approx .6 acre this weekend. Question: when should I do first of 2 planned sprayings of Glyphosate/24d? 

Was planning on mid July planting but reconsidering based on previous comment.

Planning on winter rye for sure and try a brassica blend as well.  Open to suggestions.

Land is in Tomahawk area

5/10/22 @ 10:03 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER SINCE 5/11/03

This is one of the reasons I've been a member of LL for almost 20 years, lots of great info on all kinds of topics besides catching fish. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

5/10/22 @ 7:52 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

Ideally, a stand alone crop of Winter rye for deer should be planted around Labor Day in northern Wisconsin and layered 2-3 more times every couple weeks before a decent rain. It will germinate down to 35 degrees and stays green and actively growing right into December depending on snow cover.  Planted Any earlier and it gets ahead of the deer browse pressure and it gets stemmy and much less palatable to deer. According to the experts anyway. 

The blend I mentioned (fall forage) gets planted a bit earlier than straight rye but contains about 25% winter rye and winter wheat for late season and also contains early and mid season sweeteners like oats and peas which will get frosted out after the 1st few moderate freezes. 

Glysophate works great. I’ve been using 2-4D and Gly for my 1st spraying followed by a 2nd spraying of just gly a few weeks later. 

Winter rye may not be a glamorous food plot like brassicas or corn or soybeans but man it’s a workhorse. The deer don’t seem to crave and seek out rye like other crops but Rye is always green and growing when the deer need it most. 

The deer in my area migrate in the winter and when they just moved back in mid to late April, my rye plots were the only thing greening up and ready for them. Greening up even before the snow was completely gone. The same rye that fed them last fall and fattened them up and helped prepare them for a long winter is now helping them get through arguably the most stressful time in a deers life. I have recent pictures of a few deer that were very badly showing ribs and hips so a little green food can’t hurt coming out of a long winter.

5/10/22 @ 5:06 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER SINCE 5/11/03

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I'm a bit surprised that you say plant in August I wouldn't picture it growing that fast.

As far as the weeds and other stuff I thought I would spray it all with glyphoste which I use to kill weeds along my driveway, it works great. Then till it up and plant. I'll look into the mix you mentioned. As far as the trees they are not that thick and I would get at least some partial sun.

5/10/22 @ 4:19 PM
Bowhunting Guy
USER SINCE 5/22/18

I agree that clover will probably be your best option. My food plots are cut into the middle of hardwoods up north and I’ve had a lot of success despite shade and not ideal soil. That said, there is no ag around me so very small plots can become deer magnets. 

The more sun the better, even if it means taking down some trees. I can’t say from experience that I’ve ever seen a plot planted in a river bottom/flood plain, but you have nothing to lose by trying it. 

5/9/22 @ 9:01 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

Polski,

Considering the shade, probably be limited to a clover blend or possibly winter rye grain. If you can knock some trees down to get more sunlight to the ground, that would be ideal. 

A good 1st year fall planting would be  Northwoods Whitetails fall forage blend with a few lbs per acre of forage radish mixed in. The fall forage blend is winter rye, winter wheat, oats and forage peas. All will grow fine on less than ideal soil. The rye and radishes will give you a good draw through November at least. 

In a perfect world, it would be best to do a soil test ASAP and lime accordingly and concentrate on weed control this spring and summer in preparation for a late July to mid August planting of fall food. I like whitetail institute’s soil tests. They send you a kit with detailed instructions and will email you results for lime, fertilizer, etc. 

All depends how involved you want to get. You could skip the soil testing, lime, etc and just till a couple times this summer, spread seed in early august with timely rains and still end up with a decent plot. 

5/9/22 @ 8:25 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER SINCE 5/11/03

I have a small area in the river bottoms by my house I was thinking of cleaning up and putting in a food plot of some kind. The surrounding area is always under water every spring but this area is higher ground, it's only about 100 ft by 150 ft. It currently has ferns and weeds and is mostly in a lot of shade from some very tall trees.

I was thinking of cleaning it up and roto-tilling it and planting something for the fall bow hunt. I've never done this and looking for some suggestions on what to plant. I have some big fields around me with corn, soybeans and who's knows what this year, just trying to do something different this year, thanks for any suggestions.

1/14/22 @ 8:43 AM
shootist7
MEMBER SINCE 2/9/14

Appreciate this thread and have read it a couple times now. I picked up 40 acres last year and a couple food plots are definately planned. The 40 has ag on 2 sides, but is surrounded by ag and dairy farms. Have 2 "meadows" cleared out and just reading as much as I can take in on this. The 40 is by Brussels and full of deer and turkeys until the farmers get their crops out, so need something to help keep them around. Last year the farmer next door was spreading manure and the wind was right! I wasn't worried at all about deer smelling me! Lol!

1/13/22 @ 8:51 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER SINCE 3/30/04

Liebe you can plant it in August and go back every month and just toss more on top the spil before a rain.    That is the joy of Winter Rye.   It will grow with no tilling.   I have been doing this for several years.  

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 134 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.