LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 10:56 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 70 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/2/21 @ 11:22 AM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

I put in a winter pea plot last year, the deer ate the peas down to the dirt. I put some excess peas in my garden last fall and they survived the winter and got to full growth by June. This years pea plot is an area where they won't get hammered as easy.

8/2/21 @ 6:56 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Some good growth for a week in! 

I got my turnip/4010 pea and winter rye/kale plots in Saturday AM and we had a brief rain shower that afternoon which was awesome. Had a few seeds germinating yesterday already, hopefully some more rain this week would be great.

Anyone familiar with 4010 peas? The guy at the feed store said they die off around 18 degrees instead of 15 degrees compared to winter peas but grow substantially bigger. Not sure if he was just trying to sell me on them or not because they were also out of the winter peas lol. 

8/1/21 @ 6:27 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER SINCE 12/19/10

Few pics one week after planting. 

7/29/21 @ 12:32 PM
FullDraw05
USER SINCE 10/10/17

Winter Rye will give you a good green crop into the winter months, it'll have no problem growing in September, Eyesman. 

7/29/21 @ 10:40 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

Looking for suggestions for this year’s food plot. My plot is about 1/3 acre, marginal soil conditions and somewhat shaded. I usually mow it a few times in June and then till it twice in July and plant late July or early August using a mix of clover, barracius and rape. I also scatter in some beet, turnip, rutabaga and such. Once greened up the deer keep it mowed off. This year I won’t be able to work it and plant till early September due to heart valve replacement surgery and can’t do the needed work till then. With that late of a planting what has the best chance of still growing?

7/28/21 @ 12:11 PM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

Put in a plot of winter peas yesterday, will top dress with winter rye in September. Good soil builder combination. Had to till/drag and compact. I use winter rye on any plot that needs help.

7/28/21 @ 11:06 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

I got my food plot behind the house tilled up last weekend. Will spray this weekend and hopefully plant next week. Still not sure what to plant. It's roughly .75 acres and I'm thinking about doing 3 different plots to see what they like best. There is a ton of clover in my area so I'm going to stay away from that. Was thinking about brassicas and maybe some winter peas.

We tilled the food plot on our hunting property about a month ago and sprayed it at that time. We have a decent amount of weed growth coming back since it hadn't been worked up in years. It's a pain for me to haul my subcompact tractor and tiller with my current trailer situation so I might spray it again and then plant without another round of tilling. Going with a brassica/clover mix out there.

7/28/21 @ 6:49 AM
Thump55
USER SINCE 7/19/04

I'll be cutting Friday, spraying Sunday.

One shot- I always wait to plant until just before a rain. If it looks like it might be a little while before rain, I just do my rough till and wait. Then spread lime & fertilizer, finish till, plant and drag.  

Pic from last September. 

7/27/21 @ 1:00 PM
Swamp buck
USER SINCE 1/23/09

Have any of you guys sowed "Greens over Beans" That's broadcasting seed just as the beans start to yellow and right before a rain. I've heard of this technic from a deer property manager but just wondering if anyone has tried it and what kind of success you had.

7/26/21 @ 8:52 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER SINCE 12/19/10

Will do! Probably will be back up in two weeks to put a winter rye plot in for my dad and sister on a 40 that they lease. Looks like rain throughout the week so I’m hoping for good results, fingers crossed!

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 70 POSTS
Advertise here
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
Reinvented with SCIII carbon, IPC mandrel technology and custom Winn split-grip handles. Mojo Musky features 14 models including 3 telescopic rods for easier storage. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Mojo Musky
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.