LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 10:56 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 70 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/23/21 @ 9:32 AM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

Junkie, I would fertilize about a month in just before a rain would be good. I know Habitat Solutions U tube channel uses a product called Plot Boost about a month after planting. Not completely sure of their comparison results but should help output. Good luck.

8/23/21 @ 7:05 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

This was last week, about 2.5 weeks after planting. Got a little rain this weekend which should help. If the weather holds true for rain at the end of this week I'm going to fertilize with urea (46-0-0) on Wednesday.

Haven't gotten back out to our other plot since planting it but it doesn't look like it's doing too hot based on the cell pics. Might drag it again and plant some winter rye or oats.

8/19/21 @ 8:36 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

WelderGuy - do you do a second round of fertilizing after planting your brassica plot? Hows your plot looking with all this heat?

8/18/21 @ 9:08 PM
44/45
MEMBER SINCE 3/9/11

As soon as the leaves drop by me the deer seem to go into their night feeding patterns. The deer will show up at any time after the start of the rut.

8/18/21 @ 7:10 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

slosh - that's kind of what I'm hoping for to be honest. Peas are in my backyard plot on my 9 acres that I really only hunt early season. It butts up to about 100 acres of hardwoods that isn't hunted and is surrounded by ag fields. I get a lot of deer movement in spring and early summer, but come late summer and early fall they either change their patterns or just stick to the thick hardwoods. I get very few buck pics until close to the rut so I'm hoping the peas and kale will pull them back in earlier than normal. This is my first year trying it so we'll see if it has any affect on their patterns.

About 2.5 weeks in and my peas are over 10". They grew 6" in the past week!

8/17/21 @ 9:58 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER SINCE 3/30/04

Junkie if you have any deer in your area those peas will be gone by October 1.   They are like candy and deer will nop them off before everything else in your plot.   

8/9/21 @ 9:04 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

We got our plot in on our new hunting property in the medford area this year - clover, winter wheat and kale. Way wetter than I would have liked but I didn't want to wait a week for it to dry out from the monsoon. We skipped dragging it after planting with how wet it was and it downpoured the rest of the afternoon after planting too. Was worried the clover would end up too deep if we dragged.

8/9/21 @ 7:24 AM
Woods-N-Water
USER SINCE 9/17/16

I put  in clover, turnips, and radishes this weekend.  It started raining as I finished up and didn’t stop for a day.  More rain coming in the next couple of days so I’m off to a good start.  Crop field nearest me has been down for several weeks already and the deer have basically vacated my property.  I hope they move back in when they move from their summer ranges.

8/8/21 @ 5:07 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER SINCE 12/19/10

I would still fertilize. It’s not too late and seems kinda like a waste to go through the trouble of prepping and planting to skip a crucial step.  It’s best to disc the fertilizer in but if u do it now I would try to do it in front of a rain.  Here’s mine 2 weeks after planting, looking pretty good so far. 

8/5/21 @ 9:17 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

I didn't fertilize before planting my brassica/winter pea plot and I'm regretting it. They suggest doing a combination of urea (46-0-0) and a 19-19-19 blend. Since I already planted, I'm thinking of skipping the urea and just going with a 19-19-19 fertilizer for a little boost after ~2 weeks of growth. Or should I just skip it all together at this point? What do you think?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 70 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.