MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 10:56 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

Displaying 20 to 29 of 167 posts
6/13/23 @ 9:53 AM
setterjack
setterjack
PRO MEMBER User since 1/18/07
Thanks for the response! I'll be tilling about 2 acres a year on average. I have a 57 hp compact so will be getting a little larger one. But I would think they are built the same.Thanks again! I just planted an acre of Alfa Rack Plus. Hope it's raining on it right now....
Fall food plot photo by setterjack
6/13/23 @ 9:25 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Setterjack I run the king kutter xbx 54" rotary tiller on my 25hp subcompact. Only issue I've had is a few bolts loosening up so I had some gear oil leaking. Easy fix with some regular maintenance. I've hit some decent rocks, plenty of roots and average ~3 acres of tilling a season and can't ?complain ?on year 3 now. No experience with any other brands for comparison though.
6/6/23 @ 8:56 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16
Clover is coming in good plus winter rye was growing a little.. It was hit hard during the winter... Pictures like this makes it worth all the effort.... 
Fall food plot photo by huntfishcrappie
6/6/23 @ 3:57 PM
setterjack
setterjack
FishX , thanks! I've been retired 5 yrs. Where I worked I've used a 6 ft landpride. It was very tough!! Actually replaced the blades once. But it is 2x the $$. Just wondering if the King Cutter will give me the same performance from someone who has used one. 
Thanks for the response! Have a great grow this year!

6/6/23 @ 9:24 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
I have a 6' Land Pride and I absolutely love it! Had zero issues with it. Definitely worth the money.  
6/5/23 @ 1:01 PM
setterjack
setterjack
Guys, I'm thinking about buying a King Cutter rotary tiller. A 6 or 7 ft. Wondering if anyone has used one? Are they tough? I am in NW Florence County, I think I have most of the landmine rocks out. Still plenty of smaller ones & an occasional bowling ball sized will show up...thanks
5/17/23 @ 6:21 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
Huntfish - don't get rid of clover for brassica.  In wisconsin,  clover will stay plenty green.  If we have our mild winters and not much snow till Jan,  they'll be on that clover hard..  I see it EVERY year.  Starting a brassica plot in fall isn't a guarantee....if fall you mean last week in July or 1st week in August fine,  but if you plant late August you better be on it with timely fertilizer.  I'd watch ?for rain in that last week in July,  first week in august if you are adamant about brassica.

Brassica and beans are your 2 biggest failed plots.  Both can be over browsed very easily.  I personally would not recommend getting rid of a good clover stand for a turnip or radish .  Clover comes back with a vengance in fall with the cool mornings,  don't under estimate it's power when everything else is brown.

5/16/23 @ 10:20 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16
Put in winter rye last late fall .. deer hit it hard thru gun season .. put in a clover mix in last weekend.. l may kill it late fall and put in turnip radish in fall.. or just half of my small plot.. I am trying to create more natural food by hinge cutting..
5/13/23 @ 5:03 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
I've tried a lot of different types of food plot. However, when I planted radish, purple top turnip or other mass plants, the deer will feed on this until the snow limit's them. The deer digging through deep snow to eat, will knock off those horn's, providing you with some nice shed's when the snow melts.
5/12/23 @ 6:38 PM
Rattle em up
User since 4/19/21
Crop rotation is definitely would be good. Been drought the last two falls for me so hard to get anything to grow. Been doing no til but you need buck wheat or something to cover. Deer in my area not crazy about brassica but they mow down the peas or beans before October.
Displaying 20 to 29 of 167 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE