LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 10:56 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 70 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/4/21 @ 6:01 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

Fin - it all depends where you are. Northern WI I don't doubt that it doesn't seed out. The main idea of winter rye is to have green when everything else is brown and dead and the rye still be young and tender.  Since it will grow on your driveway it's a nice, cheap seed to throw out as a stand alone or filler.  I kill it all in april right after everyone is done w turkey hunting.

Granpa, yes great timing on your turnips.  Brassica plots are actually tough at times cause the ones planted early w intentions of getting them big have a greater chance to fail. No rain, browsed etc. I stay away from them entirely the last 10 years but to each his own. Good luck to you this season 

9/3/21 @ 5:55 PM
Granpa
USER SINCE 2/4/05

Long Barrels  I planted end of July as normal for me to get some good growth on the rape and turnips. The wheat is mostly for a nutrition source coming out of winter when they need it the most and a fall food source if the deer decide to hammer the brassicas early like they did last year. Last year my sons plot which is smaller than mine looked like a putting green by gun season. The rye is not that tall as it has been very dry here so hopefully it doesn't go to seed. The guy who sold me the rye told me it would be the same as planting wheat so thanks for the info. I'll know better next year. Been doing plots for 25 years and learned something new thanks to you

9/3/21 @ 1:09 PM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

I plant a 1/4 acre pumpkin plot each year. I have pie pumpkins and regular pumpkins. I plant mid June so I can spray weeds a couple times first. Then I plant rows of pumpkins 10 feet apart. I spray again between rows just before they start crawling. The kids take what they want along with a few pie pumpkins. The deer start hitting them after the first freeze. This will be the first year adding rye when the pumpkin plants start to die off closer to end of month.

Brassica and pea plots planted end of July. Very little rain. Added rye on the Brassica today. 

9/3/21 @ 11:18 AM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

1st year plots that were cleared last winter. Thousands of pounds of lime and soil amendments and they’re surpassing my expectations especially for how dry it’s been since planted. 1/4 acre brassica plot and 1 acre plot with oats, rye, radish, red clover and some peas. Just spread 100 lbs of rye on 2 other 1 acre plots. Need some rain now!

9/3/21 @ 10:13 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

I plant winter rye in northern Wisconsin mid august and it's never seeded-out that fall, it's never even produced a seed stalk until the following spring.

9/3/21 @ 7:29 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Jitterbug - I want to know more about that pumpkin plot. I have a large veggie garden and save my seeds from my winter squash and pumpkins so I have a ton of free seed and was thinking about planting a border around my main plot next year. I would think they would be smashing those things to pieces to get the goods inside once a good freeze hits! 

9/3/21 @ 7:26 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

LB that makes me feel good about my last minute decision last night. I decided to put a kill plot in my backyard and went with winter rye. I had an hour before picking up the kids so I quick tilled it, seeded and ran over it with the ATV to pack it in. It was already bare ground from a failed food plot last year. This is on an old ATV trail that cuts through the neighbors 80 that doesn't get hunted and leads down to my kale plot, which butts up to my brassica plot. Woke up to a nice soft rain so things should be set for fall now! If the deer don't like my backyard set up this year, I don't have any idea what I can do for next year. 

9/3/21 @ 7:23 AM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

LB is right on about winter rye. I will be putting down rye today before the rain anywhere my plots are thin. I usually layer plant more rye again mid September. Brassicas need to get established about a month before rye. I have a pumpkin plot (great December plot) that I am going to plant rye into at the end of September as soon as the pumpkin plants start to die off. Anywhere you have exposed dirt, it will grow. Reasonably priced and great for your soil.

9/2/21 @ 9:04 PM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

Granpa,  when did you plant winter rye?  Winter rye should never be planted prior to sept 1 in wisconsin if you plan on having it for food.   once it seeds out it's worthless.

If I was in your situation,  if the Winter Rye is already taller than your brassicas and is seeded out,  i'd go in there and cut the crap down to 4+ inches or just above your brassicas.  Do some oats,  they will germinate and be 4 inches tall in 2 weeks with rain.  Then dress it up with more winter Rye,  WR is a powerful green pull late oct and nov.  don't underestimate it's effectiveness. 

Oats will give you fast green but be dead after the first couple moderate frosts,  then you'll have the WR to take over for later in the year.

9/2/21 @ 7:28 PM
Granpa
USER SINCE 2/4/05

Fin Bender

I found out the hard way that winter rye retards brassicas too. I usually plant wheat but could not find any when ready to plant so I planted rye. I do not have even a third of the brassicas that I planted. Radishes seem less affected. So I have all rye plots this year. Will not be making that mistake again

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 70 POSTS
Advertise here
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Reinvented with SCIII carbon, IPC mandrel technology and custom Winn split-grip handles. Mojo Musky features 14 models including 3 telescopic rods for easier storage. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Mojo Musky
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.