LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 9:56 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 73 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/1/21 @ 8:14 PM
LIEBE
USER SINCE 1/8/03

Planted Winter Rye for the first time this year in late August, it grew really fast and the deer hammered it the first 2 to 3 weeks. After that it was just ok. If I plant it again I would try late October or early Nov. I'm in the Sheboygan area if that helps.

LIEBE

10/19/21 @ 5:17 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

My plots have been very quiet lately. Not sure what to make of it. Weather? Not palatable? Better food in the area maybe. I haven’t hunted yet so my property is not pressured. 

Planted 3 acres of rye, oats, peas and tillage radish and the plots are beautiful and the deer hammered the radish greens but haven’t been utilizing them much now that the radish greens are mostly gone.  Hopefully the rye gets more activity with colder weather but so far it’s been a little bit of a disappointment. Learning experience for sure!

10/19/21 @ 7:13 AM
griff n
griff n
USER SINCE 6/17/11

Last 2 years planted winter rye on two  food plots. This year planted winter wheat. The winter wheat is getting a lot more actively than the rye did. I am really interested to see what happens as it gets colder .

10/15/21 @ 9:48 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER SINCE 8/12/02

Mature does are bred first, produce  first fawns . They are sexually mature in secondary rut . I have seen a pair playing the game on New years day  . Produce single ,late fawns . Not many survive the first winter . 

Back to food plots.  Today I tossed an apple core on my lawn after driving up . After fish fry there were two does on the spot . Not more than 30 few from house with the yard light on .

10/15/21 @ 6:19 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

I’ve heard some does are bred in late January/early February and here’s proof. Probably end up being wolf lunch. 

9/21/21 @ 9:03 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

I don’t think it has any wildlife value.  From what I’ve researched, it’s toxic and a pain in the butt to get rid of. I wonder if it was in the evolved harvest mix. Pretty sure it’s native to the southeast U.S. but not sure about the Midwest. 

9/21/21 @ 10:21 AM
zeplure
zeplure
MEMBER SINCE 2/11/02

Do Deer eat it?

9/20/21 @ 7:43 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

Zeplure;

Devils tomato. Also called Bull nettle I believe. 

9/20/21 @ 10:43 AM
zeplure
zeplure
MEMBER SINCE 2/11/02

Does anyone know what this plant is? It is only where I seeded a small patch in a larger plot. I used Evolved Harvest.

9/11/21 @ 8:06 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER SINCE 3/30/04

Outfishn I got the same results with brassica.    Thought I would have less than perfect germ rste and got 2 inches of rain on a spray and no til application.   

Junkie my brassicas were yellow 3 weeks in and i fire 25 lbs of 19/19/19 on them and now they are glow in the dark green.    

Also a tiny oats peas wheat rye plot.   2 weeks old.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 73 POSTS
Advertise here
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
The new StrikeMaster Pro Jacket and Pro Bibs delivers the ultimate in cold-weather outerwear, keeping you warm, comfortable and safe on the ice. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - Pro Jacket & Bibs
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.