LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 10:56 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 65 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 11:43 AM
zeplure
zeplure
MEMBER SINCE 2/11/02

Does anyone know what this plant is? It is only where I seeded a small patch in a larger plot. I used Evolved Harvest.

9/11/21 @ 9:06 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER SINCE 3/30/04

Outfishn I got the same results with brassica.    Thought I would have less than perfect germ rste and got 2 inches of rain on a spray and no til application.   

Junkie my brassicas were yellow 3 weeks in and i fire 25 lbs of 19/19/19 on them and now they are glow in the dark green.    

Also a tiny oats peas wheat rye plot.   2 weeks old.  

9/10/21 @ 6:33 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

1 acre 1st year plot of brassicas, oats, rye, red clover and a few peas. Got the brassicas way to heavy on this one and although nice and green, stunted and probably not going to produce much for bulbs. 

9/10/21 @ 6:13 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

Couple updated pics. 1st year 1/4 acre brassica plot doing pretty good although it’s planted to heavy. Wish I would’ve planted a little lighter and 2 weeks earlier. Deer are starting to nip at the greens so I just spread milorganite to hold them off for a bit. See how it works.

9/9/21 @ 7:01 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11
My winter rye 6 days from planting, weather has cooperated well with rain a times over the past week. 

Starting to get some nice bulbing on my brassica plot too! Exciting to see but I am getting a little yellowing/spotting on the leaves in some areas. Not sure if its a nutrient thing or maybe too much water this past week. I know it happens in my garden with radishes too and they still bulb out fine, but I feel like the deer aren't going to graze on it as much. I guess we'll see. 

9/4/21 @ 6:01 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

Fin - it all depends where you are. Northern WI I don't doubt that it doesn't seed out. The main idea of winter rye is to have green when everything else is brown and dead and the rye still be young and tender.  Since it will grow on your driveway it's a nice, cheap seed to throw out as a stand alone or filler.  I kill it all in april right after everyone is done w turkey hunting.

Granpa, yes great timing on your turnips.  Brassica plots are actually tough at times cause the ones planted early w intentions of getting them big have a greater chance to fail. No rain, browsed etc. I stay away from them entirely the last 10 years but to each his own. Good luck to you this season 

9/3/21 @ 5:55 PM
Granpa
USER SINCE 2/4/05

Long Barrels  I planted end of July as normal for me to get some good growth on the rape and turnips. The wheat is mostly for a nutrition source coming out of winter when they need it the most and a fall food source if the deer decide to hammer the brassicas early like they did last year. Last year my sons plot which is smaller than mine looked like a putting green by gun season. The rye is not that tall as it has been very dry here so hopefully it doesn't go to seed. The guy who sold me the rye told me it would be the same as planting wheat so thanks for the info. I'll know better next year. Been doing plots for 25 years and learned something new thanks to you

9/3/21 @ 1:09 PM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

I plant a 1/4 acre pumpkin plot each year. I have pie pumpkins and regular pumpkins. I plant mid June so I can spray weeds a couple times first. Then I plant rows of pumpkins 10 feet apart. I spray again between rows just before they start crawling. The kids take what they want along with a few pie pumpkins. The deer start hitting them after the first freeze. This will be the first year adding rye when the pumpkin plants start to die off closer to end of month.

Brassica and pea plots planted end of July. Very little rain. Added rye on the Brassica today. 

9/3/21 @ 11:18 AM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

1st year plots that were cleared last winter. Thousands of pounds of lime and soil amendments and they’re surpassing my expectations especially for how dry it’s been since planted. 1/4 acre brassica plot and 1 acre plot with oats, rye, radish, red clover and some peas. Just spread 100 lbs of rye on 2 other 1 acre plots. Need some rain now!

9/3/21 @ 10:13 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

I plant winter rye in northern Wisconsin mid august and it's never seeded-out that fall, it's never even produced a seed stalk until the following spring.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 65 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.