Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Deer Hunting Gripe Thread

11/20/15 @ 8:29 AM
ORIGNAL POST
land man
User since 9/12/06
Post here if you are unhappy with your season, hate the DNR, etc, etc.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 95 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/27/15 @ 10:49 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Bugle Trout, Great question that I don't know. I'm not a "blame the DNR first" kind of guy but it gets hard to not start thinking they're are some pretty incompetint people in the DNR!

11/27/15 @ 9:52 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
River, I decided to just post the pm.

We have had some problems with poachers in the past . Seems to have settled down a bit. A few yrs ago, I called the now fired warden Jason Behr . He got on it fast. He called to tell me he didn't find any over baiting . Just before I hung up I mentioned there is a cabin that keeps its lights on all night long gun season eve and a few days after that. I was hesitant but accused them of poaching at night. A few weeks later he walks up on the cabin with the lights on at 10:40 pm..Peeks inside to see a 66 yr old man with window open, crossbow loaded and cocked, overhead lights on, 10 gal. of pumpkin, a mechanical feeder to boot. This was after he had a nice buck registered in Nov. He got slapped real good. The next two gun season eves ,, ,, he has his back lights on again. I never called thugh . This yr it was off , and those guys never fired a shot all weekend . That never happened before. The deer hung around our cabin much more last weekend. I think they got caught again. Maybe the whole gang too cause the only cabin occupied was the guy who only trophy hunts. Wondering Wondering More bucks on the cam this yr than in a long time too. Something was different this yr.

11/27/15 @ 9:38 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Never thought of that. I did see a 6" Hemlock in the cutover last week. I'm sure it will be ton eby spring time. Riverchaser I am going to send a a pm.

11/27/15 @ 9:27 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
ihookem, you hit on some good subjects. I hunt in Iron and Price. It does seem to be a desert in many respects. But since wolf kills and night time poaching by certain political groups are a daily occurrence here thats enough to know there must be enough deer here to fuel these activities to the disadvantage of legal hunters. I am amazed at the amount of small white pine I am seeing. It seems to be everywhere but the young oaks, hemlock and cedars still struggle. Hemlock and cedar do not proliferate as well in 3rd and 4th stage forest where basswood becomes a dominant species. And since basswood has so little economic value it doesnt get harvested to make room for more desireable species.

11/27/15 @ 9:15 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
When It comes to low deer numbers it's our fault no matter how anyone try's to spin it. Hunters allowed these people to remain in office! 2 we as hunters are the ones who have pulled the triggers and flat out wiped out the herd. Plus all the infighting among hunters has been a big part of the issues as well

11/27/15 @ 8:55 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
My only gripe is that my season is over. Deer are all processed, family has all returned home and the only thing that is left to do is pack up my gear and put it in storage until next year. All the anticipation and then it seems like it's over so fast. Til next year....

11/27/15 @ 8:38 PM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13
I havn't noticed my insurance rates ever going down Ditto,and they should be. Hitting a deer used to be a common thing ,now it's a very,very rare thing,and my rates don't go backwards. How many tens of millions of dollars more in profits go to the insurance companies when the deer herds are as low as they are now? It seems to be the only logical explanation to me . No one can truly be as stupid as the biologists and foresters in charge of this mess. Allowing any antlerless harvest in counties that have plummeting deer populations is absolutely ridiculous with the amount of predators and as bad of winters as we have had. Either they are that brain dead and arrogant at the WDNR or they are corrupt............probably a bit of both.

11/27/15 @ 8:32 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Both make sense. I am sure Wis pays more in consideration of deer collisions than Utah, even if it's the same company. I'm sure American Family is happy to see deer repairs down 30% +- . On the other hand , I did not see my auto ins. go down. They kept the money like a carpenter that over charged for material when the job was done. When we short on materials us carpenters howl, just like ins. companies. I would not bat an eye if smaller ins. co. started to howl about 3-4k deer hits. The farmers howl, and then get kill tags. WOW, talk about win /win. The get payed and get the deer. I imagine the DNR behind closed doors are saying, cut the deer numbers in farm areas. I imagine the foresters howl about over browsing. I have seen 1st hand how well the forest is doing from a 70% drop in deer numbers. I still see how crooked trees grow up north and then suddenly they start to grow straight up. Deer ain't nipping them to heck. Some day we might even see some Hemlocks get higher than the deer browse height. I see WHite Oaks popping up all over, by the hundreds. Even WHite Pines are being left alone to some degree. I still have yet to see a cedar sapling though.. There are positives to very low deer numbers for the health of a forest. I wish we would have gone through tis 25 yrs ago. There would be WHite Oaks all over Price co. ready to produce acorns. There are no Hemlocks, WHite Pine, or Cedars that are not on a 12" dia. stump. Not one. Oaks are rare as hens teeth except for the old ones. No regeneration at all for 50 years. . This in the along run hurts deer numbers, and I believe it is one reason west Price/ Flambeau River S.F. is what it is. I have called it the ecological desert. A cabin owner 2 mi. from me called it a wasteland for deer hunters. Then deer biologists come in and say, it is over browsed ( they are right) Hunters say WHAT DEER? In 2007 I planted Spruce trees and they even ate them up. Told the guy who sold me the trees. He said " THAT IS STARVATION FOOD!!!!. He is right. I still believe in the long run, the forest will be able to hold more deer because the low deer numbers let the forest catch up. Maybe I'm nuts, I dont know.

11/27/15 @ 8:02 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Ditto, I have always respected you and found your posts informative and civil. I get what you said but would like to understand what you feel is the reason for our DNR to "manage" the herd to the levels they are at. Is it the Farm Bureau? Revenue? Stupidity? I've been one of the people blaming the insurance company lobbyists. To me it makes sense. But I'm open to be corrected in my thinking.

By the way, I stood a post on my new land in northern Oneida County today. Nadda! But I did cut two sets of tracks with dew claw prints. I hope to see old mossy horns tomorrow. If not, it will still be a great day in the woods.

11/27/15 @ 7:15 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Insurance companies and kick backs LOL! All these people complaining about the insurance companies controling the DNR and wanting there to be less deer. You people do realize the insurance companies don't give a damn how many deer there are right? If there are more deer/car accidents in a state or area they just increase the rates to make up for it. They just do the math and set the rates accordingly. Teenage boys are the most likely drivers to get in an accident so guess who pays most for insurance? Maybe teenage boys! You live in a state with 100 deer per sq mile and your buddy live in a state with 5 deer per sq mile, guess who pays more for car/deer collision insurance?

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 95 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.