MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Deer Camp

9/25/14 @ 4:27 PM
INITIAL POST
mystery fish-n-sea
mystery fish-n-sea
User since 4/10/10
I have been a member of my dad's deer camp (he's the president, more or less) for the last 15 years, since I was able to start hunting at the age of 12. We routinely made the trek up north to public land even though he has 90 acres connecting to 90 more acres of state public land at home. I lived very close to our spot up north for a few years before moving closer to home. I know for sure there are more deer around home than there are in our traditional hunting spot. In fact, the guys that regularly hunt his property while we are away for the weekend usually do quite well. Since I have been going up north, there have been 5 bucks shot in 15 years, the largest a 7 pointer my dad got about 7 years ago. During that same time, there was one year we came back and one party had taken 4 bucks off, and another year that a GIANT 9 pointer was killed on his land. With 8 guys we have gone one year without killing a single deer, and another where a nubby saved the camp. My trail cams around my dad's place always prove there are quality deer in the area, and I have seen numerous deer (including some nice bucks) with limited bow hunting time in the past couple years.

In addition, a couple of years ago I was hunting a stand up north that I have liked for quite some time. After shooting at a deer a man came from his property to yell at me that I was shooting too close to his property, and even claimed I was trespassing. I have plat books/GPS/ and know where the survey markers are in the area and know I definitely had the right to hunt that piece of public land. My dad walked over to talk to the man and he started threatening to call the warden and took his picture. My dad told him that he was going to wait until the warden arrived. The man then started shouting/shooting his gun in the air. I had already left and was quite worried that this man had killed my dad. Back home our neighbors are friendly and we have access to hundreds of surrounding acres if we want to branch out.

The past few years I have tried to convince him that we should move deer camp back home, and this year he finally put it to a vote. I lost 5 to 3, with my dad and I both voting to stay at home. The other 5 guys want to go up north because of tradition. We are not drinkers, we do not go into town to go to bars, we sit around and play cards until we go to bed at 9:00.

I told my dad that I was going to hunt his land this year, even though the vote failed, granted that he gives me his permission. I proposed that my dad, brother and I take a weekend, I'd pay to rent a cabin up north and we would just sit and watch the squirrels for the weekend (this is what deer camp is to us anyway) then we could sit around and play cards at night. That way I don't feel guilty about missing spending quality time with my ol' man and brother and I can still hunt some great property and increase my chances at seeing some deer.

He's still pretty bummed I won't be going to deer camp for the first time. I kind of am too.

Whatcha think? Am I a jerk?

UPDATE 2019:

Displaying 1 to 15 of 92 posts
12/21/23 @ 12:14 PM
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
User since 10/13/05
Mystery

I have watched your video's.  Great deer camp.  Good for you guys.
12/11/23 @ 9:56 AM
mystery fish-n-sea
mystery fish-n-sea
User since 4/10/10
Here's the newest chapter in our Deer Camp saga.

11/16/23 @ 7:14 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
Heading up to the rose garden of wi in 7 hours, tomorow my 2 buddys then my wife will show up and another good buddy who lives in town, fish, shrimp fry tomorrow night then taco bar saturday after da hunt!

goodhuntin all and godbless make as many memories as possible it does'nt last forever. 
11/15/23 @ 10:23 AM
Dave1234
User since 9/8/09
I am heading up tomorrow evening.  The rest will show up Friday evening after the high school Div 1 football game.  Lots of good deer on camera and the corn is being cut right now!  Should be a good year. Good luck and stay safe!
11/15/23 @ 10:06 AM
Phelpsguy3
User since 2/24/23
Heading to deer camp in Phelps. 11 of us . 9 adults and 2 kids. My sons first year at deer camp. He's hunted since 9. Not many deer but still will be fun. Almost everyone there the whole season 
11/15/23 @ 7:17 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
1 more day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11/14/23 @ 7:47 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
​I'm going up Friday morning.  May try to get in one more sit with the crossbow before everyone ​arrives later in the day.
11/14/23 @ 6:20 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13
heading up thursday pm, just me for a few days, son & brother to join in few days later.......
going to give er heck.......  net
11/13/23 @ 3:07 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
3 days to go!
11/13/23 @ 10:28 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01
mystery fish-n-sea, enjoy your videos.  Man, thats a lot of work for 3 days!  Love the passion though.  Where are the younger generation?  Keep the spirit alive in the Northwoods.   

11/8/23 @ 7:15 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
8 days!!!!!!!!!!
10/31/23 @ 8:02 PM
tailsneyes
User since 11/29/19
Our group is 2 now but when it comes to us 2 processing the deer we call the ones that did hunt and gave it up. It is fresh backstraps and cold beer in the garage. Which always was the best part of the hunt. Now days the processing part takes longer but as I have aged you see the important things in life. Pulling the trigger is easy its the moments after that which truely matter. When one of that group is no longer with you. It makes you think. Life is short enjoy it and live every moment like it is your last
10/31/23 @ 8:13 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Yup things change, for many years it was typically 6-7 of us in deer camp,  then it went to 4-5 for a few years, now its just me, and sometimes my son goes.  Folks are older, the kids all have lives of their own and and different demands.
10/30/23 @ 7:23 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
somebody is anxious...lol
10/30/23 @ 6:46 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
17 days!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 92 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE