LOGIN
Lake-Link

Dead deer,no blood...?

11/30/19 @ 7:34 AM
ORIGNAL POST
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

This was my 3rd season gun hunting,and managed to shoot my 1st buck($.50 cent piece) with one side of rack broke off . I'm shooting a Savage 30.06 w/165gr hornady sst's. My shot was a 125 yrds, deer fell over upon impact. So I get up to my deer and am dumbfounded to find no blood at all,or any entrance wound...?After making for sure deer is dead,rolled him over and to much surprise a few "specks" of blood and had to search hard to find exit wound....I haven't been hunting very long at all but just wondering if anyone else has witnessed anything like this at all?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 30 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/6/19 @ 6:36 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I have never lost a deer shot with my .308 and green box Remingtons . Heart Lung shots , straight on neck shots . Anywhere from 15 to 150 yards . 

12/6/19 @ 5:59 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Shot a big doe back in 02.  Tracked it down to a creek where she bedded down. I must have jumped her, and then I lost the trail in a bunch of other track. she bedded down and there was a slight smudge of blood. I followed the best trail I could and it went back the exact way she went. Providence . I walked back down the same trail back . She returned to her backtrail and I found her. It was a gut shot and the fat plugged up the hole

12/6/19 @ 4:31 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I’m sounding like the guys I talked to saying cheap bullet haha.  I meant the round tipped, non bonded ones.  I don’t know the proper name.  I use either bonded or copper now.  I figure I only shoot one or two a year so they last a while.

12/6/19 @ 3:40 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

Very true, also didn't lose much meat with the shot placement. This is the only ammo I have used hunting so I'm ok with it going forward. Time will tell,thanks for all the replies and knowledge. Happy holidays to all,and safe hunting to all still in pursuit!!!

12/6/19 @ 2:20 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I use the 165 grain superformance sst in my 308 as well.  It is a great bullet but isn't one you'd want to take elk or moose hunting because penetration isn't it's strong suit.  It is very explosive and very often drops deer on spot but you won't get an exit going through a shoulder with one due to this.  I would not call it a cheap bullet but it is a bullet designed for a certain niche.  I love it and rarely trail deer.  If you shoot through ribs, you'll probably get an exit still but any hard bone will probably inhibit that.  If you want an exit hole and blood trail, switch to something bonded or all copper.  For deer, you don't need excessive penetration though so I wouldn't be upset with the sst.  I mean your deer did drop in it's tracks.

12/6/19 @ 1:41 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

These are what I use in my 30 06,are these considered cheap bullets?

12/6/19 @ 8:42 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

When we use cheaper bullets we had a few occasions with no visible hole in the deer.  When we skinned them we found that the bullet fractured into a bunch of tiny pieces.  That shrapnel went into the deer and killed it.  Later on I talked to guys more knowledgable about it and they told me the gun we used (.308) at close range could have that happen with cheaper bullets.  Its going so fast at that point that the bullet loses its integrity and sort of blows up upon impact.  

Switched to higher end bullets and never had the issue again.

12/5/19 @ 12:57 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Many years ago I shot a fat doe just before dark. The deer dropped on the spot and never went an inch from where it had been shot. No blood tracking was necessary. I field-dressed the deer and dragged her out.

Next morning I'm out there cleaning up the field dressing and I notice there's no entrance and no exit wound at all. I was completely and utterly baffled. Turns out I shot her right through that small part of the chest that sticks out when the animal is standing still. No vital organs were hit what-so-ever.

Died of shock or a heart attack? (???)

35 Whelen with 250 grain Core-Lokt.

12/4/19 @ 3:59 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

The shot was taken from an elevated stand. By the time I made it over to in laws house he already had his deer and mine skinned. But he said it hit the shoulder and expanded inside of the deer...

12/4/19 @ 1:15 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Where did you determine the exit wound to be? And what kind of shot was it? From the ground or elevated?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 30 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.