LOGIN
Lake-Link

Dead deer,no blood...?

11/30/19 @ 7:34 AM
ORIGNAL POST
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

This was my 3rd season gun hunting,and managed to shoot my 1st buck($.50 cent piece) with one side of rack broke off . I'm shooting a Savage 30.06 w/165gr hornady sst's. My shot was a 125 yrds, deer fell over upon impact. So I get up to my deer and am dumbfounded to find no blood at all,or any entrance wound...?After making for sure deer is dead,rolled him over and to much surprise a few "specks" of blood and had to search hard to find exit wound....I haven't been hunting very long at all but just wondering if anyone else has witnessed anything like this at all?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 8:42 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

When we use cheaper bullets we had a few occasions with no visible hole in the deer.  When we skinned them we found that the bullet fractured into a bunch of tiny pieces.  That shrapnel went into the deer and killed it.  Later on I talked to guys more knowledgable about it and they told me the gun we used (.308) at close range could have that happen with cheaper bullets.  Its going so fast at that point that the bullet loses its integrity and sort of blows up upon impact.  

Switched to higher end bullets and never had the issue again.

12/5/19 @ 12:57 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Many years ago I shot a fat doe just before dark. The deer dropped on the spot and never went an inch from where it had been shot. No blood tracking was necessary. I field-dressed the deer and dragged her out.

Next morning I'm out there cleaning up the field dressing and I notice there's no entrance and no exit wound at all. I was completely and utterly baffled. Turns out I shot her right through that small part of the chest that sticks out when the animal is standing still. No vital organs were hit what-so-ever.

Died of shock or a heart attack? (???)

35 Whelen with 250 grain Core-Lokt.

12/4/19 @ 3:59 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

The shot was taken from an elevated stand. By the time I made it over to in laws house he already had his deer and mine skinned. But he said it hit the shoulder and expanded inside of the deer...

12/4/19 @ 1:15 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Where did you determine the exit wound to be? And what kind of shot was it? From the ground or elevated?

12/4/19 @ 1:14 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I shot a doe a couple years ago at 11 yards from an elevated stand. Hit her just behind the left shoulder, a little more than halfway down. Flipped backwards and that's where she stayed. After gutting and hanging her, it looked like I shot twice as there were holes touching, almost like it entered and exited nearly the same spot. No exit wound. 30/06 using 150 grain Remington Core Lokts. That was one I don't think I'll ever understand. 

12/2/19 @ 9:39 AM
NBKOutdoorsYT
User since 10/22/19

I had a similar situation this year, but it didn't drop. I hit it right behind the shoulder from above. It ran over a hundred yards without leaving as much of a spec of blood, not even any where he was shot. Luckily, I was barely able to follow his tracks in the snow. He didn't leave blood until around 10 yards before he fell. In my case though, the bullet didn't exit and I found it lodged in his back leg bone.

12/2/19 @ 8:39 AM
Salmon/walleyeangler
User since 5/29/16

Hornady SST's are very good bullets and I have shot a few deer with them but they are not designed to go through and leave a blood trail. SST stands for super shock tip which means all the energy from the bullet is used inside the deer to cause massive trauma so they drop in their tracks.

12/2/19 @ 7:36 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/a-missed-shot-with-a-50-bmg-still-kills-the-deer-you-wont-believe-how/

12/1/19 @ 8:43 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

I remember my brother telling me a story when he was young, that he and a friend were in a field talking, when they saw a deer running along a knoll about 200 yards away. He takes aim and shoots just as it turned to run in a direction away from them. His friend says I think you dropped him. They go over to the area, and find a dead deer, but they could not find where it was hit. The mystery was solved when they gut the deer, and found it was shot directly up the poop shoot.

12/1/19 @ 1:50 PM
nemab-man
User since 7/5/11

Weird stuff happens, sometimes.

This year I tagged a smallish ten point with a 125gr. bullet from a 7.62x39 from about 50 yards away. I flat out missed what I was aiming at. Hit the shoulder breaking both of them instantly stopping the buck in its tracks. The weird part is the wound looked totally backwards. The bullet had passed through leaving a large entry wound and a little pinhole of an exit wound. Not sure what happened but I suspect the jacket separated and the core exited. Never found the jacket either. Maybe if went back out the entry after the seperation? Weird.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.