Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Cutting the pelvic bone

11/26/14 @ 9:24 AM
ORIGNAL POST
8 pointer
User since 2/12/13
I bought a pelvic bone cutter this year the one that looks like a small Chain and it cut about half way through and broke. $20 bucks down the drain. What do guys use to cut them in the field? Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 33 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/29/14 @ 10:18 AM
carpmjh
User since 2/11/02
Enzymes are what make the meat more tender. Bacteria is not good and causes meat to rot. That is why keeping any meat between 32 to 40 degrees while aging is important, it allows enzymes to work while cool enough that bacteria doesn't rot the meat.

12/29/14 @ 4:00 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
Ditto your facts are incorrect. It is the bacteria that gets into the meat that makes it more tender. It actually starts to break down the meat. Fat plays little if anything to do with it

12/27/14 @ 1:05 PM
Foundry Rat
User since 1/21/10
The reason for cutting around butt hole is so it will come out with the intestines. If you don't cut around it, the intestines break spilling poop inside the cavity. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want poop in/on my food. Even though I'm washing it right away, I do the same for small game also. The time is minimal to insure clean game. The reason I don't split the pelvic is it opens more meat to drying, dirt and debris. The skin can be left in place on the pelvic and the legs don't flop open while dragging.

12/19/14 @ 2:31 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I agree if you're going to let them hang then I would remove the anus. Letting a deer hang does not tender up the meat or really do anything because of the low fat content in the meat. Research it and you'll see that hanging beef breaks down the meat making it more tender, hanging deer doesn't do anything to the meat.

12/19/14 @ 1:04 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
Ditto that may be good for you but myself and I'm sure a lot of people, like to let them hang. Weather permitting I will leave it hang for a week. they only get better. 3to 5 seconds to cut around butt hole pull out with guts.the whole thing 5 min. tops

12/19/14 @ 11:54 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
fishfillete, have you ever used a butt out tool? I highly doubt you can cut out the anus in 3 seconds!

I've started wonder why I even bother with removing it anymore though. My deer will be cut up either the night I shoot it or the next day and it will be kept cool, why mess with it? It's not like it's going to taint anything in that amount of time.

12/16/14 @ 6:54 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13
I was taught to cut the pelvic bone, it really opens things up nice & all that good stuff in there peels right out. Find the center of the bone, you can feel a ridge on the center point. I use my knife and get it started, with a little pressure it will split down the middle. Use care as mentioned, once cut the bone can be very sharp & the knife will be slippery.

12/15/14 @ 1:04 PM
Foundry Rat
User since 1/21/10
I don't split the pelvic either. I just cut around the A hole and make sure it is good and loose. It just pulls out with the guts then. While the corn cob sounds mildly useful, I think I'll skip adding another item to my coat. The ongoing joke is "given a choice, drag the deer and avoid carrying my coat it's so heavy".

12/2/14 @ 1:00 PM
B Fish
User since 6/26/10
Has anyone ever used the corn cob method (I know it sounds sick).

Cut around the butt whole like normal and then stick a corn cob up the butt. Then when you have the deer all openned up and about to remove the intenstine, grab the tissue with the corn cob in it and pull it inward to remove the butt whole.

My old college roommate from XX years ago told me that one and he even showed me a corn cob he carried in his pack, (light and free). He swore by it.

I haven't had the need to use one and I don't cut the pelvic either, but I never did forget that.

(It sounds even sicker as I prof read this)

12/1/14 @ 4:37 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02
I watched my nephew clean his deer. He cut around the butt hole and put a zip tie around it. When he got to the inside he just pulled it out. Slick as hell and nice and clean.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 33 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.