Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Controlled Burning

11/5/14 @ 8:28 PM
ORIGNAL POST
St.Croix FTW
User since 3/29/11
So I hunt on roughly 300acres of land with the majority of deer being on the side that is neighboring conservation property. Well I got a call today from the land owner saying the dnr did a controlled burn all the way to the property line. This side has given me the most success this year and previous years so my question is how will this effect the deer in this area?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/6/14 @ 12:33 AM
BLK LAB
User since 7/18/03
I had this exact thing happen a couple years ago where we hunt. They did a big burn a couple days before opener of gun season. We were extremely concerned. Surprisingly it was not an issue at all for us as far as deer sightings or movement. Honestly the only negative we had was the smell, it was quite overpowering at times if the wind was right. I think you'll be fine. Good luck!!

11/5/14 @ 10:42 PM
St.Croix FTW
User since 3/29/11
Ya I'm pretty confused too. This is in northern Illinois so I hope it doesn't mess up the rest of bowhuntin before the gum season

11/5/14 @ 10:18 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
I thought they usually did those in the spring since the regeneration would take place quickly. I would think a burn at this time of year would increase erosion risks during the spring snow melt by removing surface vegetation at this time of year where nothing is likely to pop up before the snow flies.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.