SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Clearing Shooting Lanes

7/14/20 @ 11:21 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I had one 5 inch diameter limb that has blocked a portion of my shooting lane for a few years now. It was too high up to reach with the trusty pole saw.The limb was coming off an ancient white pine. I was thinking of dragging the step ladder out there and reaching up with the pole saw, from there,  but I am not sure that would have been enough. I also was not sure I wanted to get up on a step ladder and fight with pole saw since the ground is uneven and soft down there. Plan "B" was to tie a hammer to a rope and toss it over and try and snap it. 

After thinking about it for a while I stumbled onto the solution. The good ole Browning shotgun ! After wading through the muddy slough that sucked off one my Muck knee highs, I got positioned under it and in 2 shots the limb was gone! It was so easy that I knocked off a few more that were close and would have been a problem sooner or later.

Just thought I would pass this on. It was so easy that I felt kind of dumb for not doing it sooner. Stay safe out there. Next thing you know it will be time to dig out the hunting gear. Mrt.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
7/29/20 @ 3:43 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Was only trying to take of a limb  , not kill it  !

7/16/20 @ 11:47 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

OSOK- you could have a great second handle on lake link-six shots one limb-LOL-

7/16/20 @ 8:27 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I used a pre-1970 browning with modified choke, so I am guessing it was more like full choke. I brought along about 20 rounds of ammo and was surprised that it only took a couple of shots! Way more fun than a saw. You can bet that I will be using this this method in the future. I did notify the neighbors that kind of keep an eye on things for me. Mrt.

7/14/20 @ 8:57 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I used a shotgun on a big limb of an oak at a neighbors after an ice storm . It took about 6 shots to loosen it . Wasn't sure which choke to use  !

7/14/20 @ 2:20 PM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

I recently used a rope saw to cut a half dozen 3" maple limbs that were a good 30-40 feet up and starting to shade my solar panel. Getting a line over the correct limb turned out to be the biggest issue. Plan A didn't work so i borrowed a buddies big shot slingshot to get a small bag of gravel over a branch to pull up the rope saw. Had someone had a lawn chair and a few beers it would have made for quite the show, LOL!

7/14/20 @ 11:55 AM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

That solution is way more fun than a rope saw, but if anyone needs to do the same and cannot use a shotgun to clear the limb, a rope saw is another option.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE