LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

CDACs Up North Not Using Metrics or Science To Justify Increase of Antlerless Tags

5/21/21 @ 12:27 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

CDAC's have limited options.   Deer populations, such as in Adams County, continue to grow.    The only control feature is a hunt.

For us, our hunter harvest is quite low and access to the deer is limited.  No matter what we do the deer population will continue to grow.

We base permit levels on sales.  So we determine permits on how many sold last year.

Displaying 31 to 41 of 41 posts
5/24/21 @ 6:26 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

From the Vernon County 2021 CDAC minutes: Many of the same comments we have heard before. Public land - people wanted fewer tags, but we can’t regulate them right now, only the ones that are purchased.

Justification to increase tags: We changed the amount of public land bonus permits to 300 because 250 always sold out and this will allow to reach our goal.

THEY DO NOT LISTEN!!! 

5/24/21 @ 6:17 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

The CDAC's in Vernon and Crawford county do not listen to the majority if the public comments that come in. The same biologist covers both of these counties and should be fired imo. Two years ago he recommended to increase the amount of bonus tags to help bring in more money. Two years ago Crawford county got hit hard with EHD, no response. Probably 95% of the comments a few years ago did not support the 10 day holiday doe only hunt, but they went ahead and approved it anyway. The system is a joke and needs to be gutted.

5/23/21 @ 9:13 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

As for doe tags, I have mixed emotions. I dont believe tags should be given out north of HWY 8 to anyone, not even kids for a few more years. In west Price co. the deer numbers  were coming back in 2018. A bad winter and back down. There are very few deer on the public land in west Price co.  and the Flambeau River State Forest. .  Even the cut over public land has very little browsed tops of the popple shoots, almost no tracks , droppings or rubs.  As for Washington co. where I have been doing more deer hunting  on public land down here cause it makes more sense, I see more deer , but 3 doe tags for bow and 3 for gun, means you can shoot 6 does . That is simply too many deer per hunter. However, so many get killed on the highway , it makes some sense. On the other hand again, just getting one doe a year on this over hunted public land is a task. In 10 yrs I got 1 buck , 2 does with my bow and 1doe with my gun, in 10 seasons of hunting it hard. I think we should go to 1 doe per season and be done . Yes, we would have more road kills , however, we would see a few more deer when we are in the woods.  I must say though, it really is a shame seeing so many dead deer on the highway  41 /45 from Germantown to Fond Du Lac. 

5/23/21 @ 6:15 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

The math provided by DNR says we need to issue more tags.   Thousands more.  We do not.  

We have limited options for controlling our deer population.   Issuing more tags will not result in more deer being harvested.   Customer demand for tags is rather consistent year after year.    

Access has a greater impact on deer hunting than the number of tags sold.    

5/23/21 @ 4:49 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

My point is there is only so much demand for deer tags in our county.  The math says we should offer more tags.   But we do not.     We do not flood the county with extra deer tags.   If we did, no one would buy them.  

Hunter success is less than 25% in our county, so even with the tags we sell, harvest is quite low.   Hunters with access to deer fill tags.   Hunters with limited access to deer have difficulty filling tags or even seeing deer.

It is feast or famine.  The determining factor is bunter access.   

5/23/21 @ 11:27 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Trouter, your last post indicates just the opposite of the point your trying to make. Hunter demand should not be part of the equation.  It is not part of the metrics. Based on the information you have provided on the process in your county, it appears to me that even with a low deer herd and metrics that support no antlerless tags, you would issue a number the same as years past because hunter demand is the overriding factor.

5/22/21 @ 6:09 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

Littleluck, we issue tags based on customer demand.  Hunter demand for tags is watched closely.   There is only so much demand for tags.   So we issue as many tags as hunters historically ask for.

We are in the deer management business, not the tag selling business.

5/21/21 @ 10:41 PM
brookie14
User since 3/8/12

My home county the CDAC is made up of hunters that have all the access in the county to deer (private land hunter, that shoot does off the public to save their own herd). All they do is complain about there being to many deer and increase the public land tags, seasons, and say that something needs to be done to control the deer in their area of the county. They expect the public land harvest to control the herd. Only 16% is public they want more pressure on these lands to increase the harvest ?????? It is really about the almighty dollar. How do we get the most bonus tags sold. I do not think they have ever disagreed with the county Biologist, who's presentation is 90% written by the Biologist sitting in the Madison. Just remember the CDAC is set up for hunters to feel like their complaints/concerns are being heard. 

As a sportsman I was taught to take what you can use and not be a thrill hunter/poacher (deer donation program). I do buy bonus tags to increase my opportunity to fill my freezer. I am not greedy 2 will get my fam through the year. 

5/21/21 @ 7:55 PM
Rattle em up
User since 4/19/21

Its really up to the hunters and land owners in the non wolf part of the state to manage the deer herd. The state can't make you shoot them if there really is not many. What a concept, herd management. Should never be tied to sales of permits or the mighty $$$$$. For me, I will never buy a doe permit again if the state and/or Feds  won't manage the wolves.

5/21/21 @ 2:37 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

What I have heard and seen in my particular county, as well as other counties, is all the complaining of to many deer and the need for excessive antlerless tags comes from the forester reps.  My suggestion, is if you disagree, definitely contact the Natural Resources Board.  Only they can override the CDAC's.      Good Luck

Displaying 31 to 41 of 41 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE