Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Bucks found/recovered too late

11/27/20 @ 3:22 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Back on 10/30 my brother in law hit a big buck with his cross bow. Waited a few hours then tracked it over a mile and lost the trail in a big cornfield. Today he was pushing through some pines on his brother's farm and thinks he may have found his deer right inside the tree line. As you can see, the hinds are all chewed, but that's really it. It smelled bad, but not horrible, and when he sawed the head off, the neck meat still looked ok. Not edible but certainly not rotted. So we're trying to figure out if this is his or a gun kill not recovered by someone else. Four weeks with a stretch of really warm weather makes us think it's not, but we've never seen one like this. Any opinions on how long this one's been dead?

Edit: pics not loading from the stand.  Will post later.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 18 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/29/20 @ 12:26 PM
RangerKid
USER SINCE 6/26/01

Except it's been a month, not a week.

11/29/20 @ 9:19 AM
brews4995
brews4995
USER SINCE 4/2/10

Its his deer more than likely.  Scavengers don't completely clean a carcass in a week. 

11/29/20 @ 8:22 AM
Chainman
USER SINCE 8/14/19

I doubt there is any place in WI that coyotes, crows and other scavengers would not have a deer carcass completely cleaned up in less than a week. Not his deer.

11/28/20 @ 7:53 PM
outfishin
USER SINCE 1/14/13

I would guess it’s the buck your brother hit. The days are short this time of year and daytime highs only last a couple hours.  The ground is cool and there’s shade in the pines so I wouldn’t expect the deer to be completely rotten after 3-4 weeks in those conditions. I’m sure It would be nice to know for certain to have a little closure. 

11/28/20 @ 7:10 PM
RangerKid
USER SINCE 6/26/01

Unless your brothers deer didn't die for weeks, my thought is, its not the one your brother shot. Does he know where he shot it?

11/28/20 @ 7:00 PM
joeywadu
USER SINCE 5/13/02

I think that's his buck

Wadu

11/28/20 @ 12:09 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

The uniqueness of the rack usually would be enough to tell if it was his deer or not.  A month isn't that long of a time for a deer or any other animal to decay.  Even the mice I throw in the corner of my yard after I capture them I can still see the carcass three months later, in the summertime, so it wouldn't doubt me one bit that that is your his deer.

When you find some blood, not much, but no sign of the deer it's always best to back off and wait for the deer to die.  He'll go a lot less distance if he's not being chased by someone looking for him.  I've learned that lesson the hard way a few times.  I was told that if you want to keep the meat that you have about 12 hours before the deer becomes so bloated that it's not worth keeping it anymore.  This year I shot a doe and never found her.  We waited about an hour and then started looking, finding very little blood, then tons of blood, then very little, then tons again, followed by almost no blood for 100 yards or so.  I believe we chased the deer off the property and it kept getting back up again.  Had I waited until after dark, about 3 hours, I think the deer would've died, but we had two other deer to find that my friend shot (one he knew where it was, the other we didn't), so we kept looking for my deer.  If I could do it all over again I would've found both of his deer, gutted them, taken them to the truck then started looking for my deer.  I might've had a chance then to recover it.  Live and learn!

DISPLAYING 11 TO 18 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
St. Croix's all-new series of technique-specific rods features extreme performance blanks and materials specific to each model. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Croix Custom Ice series
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.